Hamster Dancin' Around the World

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:44 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Is all of Costa Rica as lovely as that, or did you guys pick a specially lovely bit?

Most of Costa Rica is like that, with the exception of the urban areas. I am in the Costa Rican equivalent of American suburbia, in a smaller town on the fringe of the cluster of towns around San Jose. So it's a 15 minutes or so to the main city, but still has lots of undeveloped areas. But just about anywhere where there's not a building looks like that.

Quote:

Is that a cat tower thing Fiona is standing on?
If so, it's the least worst cat tower thing I have ever seen, (and the damn cat looks good, too...for a fluff ball).

Any chance you could take a good photo of it?

Nah it's a cat house. Pretty ugly, and has to stay outside. The bottom part is where her food goes, and the door to the bottom half is taped up to keep Harry from the food (which is all that the cat house is supposed to do, protect Fiona's food from Harry).

Here's a photo:

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5238/img1875iy2.jpg
dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:49 am
@Robert Gentel,
Ah, damn...I thought it was a kind of ziggurat shaped sisal wrapped scratching post cum platform.

It's almost as lovely as the Booda-loo in reality!

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:00 am
@dlowan,
A new industrial design and manufacture challenge - human attractive cat tower..
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:00 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I didn't know that about angel fish. May be a good step up from snails. (Snails are more interesting than I expected though, I have to say.)

Fish are fun! Initially more work (and expense) than people imagine, but it's like a combination legos (or doll house) and pets in that you also get to decorate an aquarium and build a cool little world. But what makes it all fun for me, is when the guppies have babies. That would be a huge step up from snails (though she needs to be ready to deal with the fish eating them every now and then).
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We've already been through the baby-eating thing with the snails, so she should be OK with it. (She and a friend were "fishing" in the friend's small backyard pond and a snail was drying out on the pavement when I came to pick her up -- she asked if she could keep it and I was like, uh, sure. After a week or so the snail laid eggs -- lesson #1 in the weirdness of snails (they can procreate solo). Then the eggs hatched and were eaten -- all but 1. Then the two of them (after a water + venue change) laid scads of eggs.... 24 survived this time. That's too many, we're going to put several back in a pond.

Anyway, more receptive to fish after the snail experience.
dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 03:55 pm
@sozobe,
Hermit crabs are kind of cool!!!!

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 04:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Even when it's ok to begin with, they do their thing (scratching) and it looks like ****.

Best I ever saw was a built in one.....the tower hugged the wall up to the ceiling, and there were platforms on the way up...it hugged a door that was the one leading to the utility areas of the house, and there was no door in that doorway....it was at the back, looking out to thr garden, and the carpeting was the same colour as the walls. The cats were brown Burmese, so the platforms kind of disappeared and they stood out.

The owner simply resigned herself to having the carpeting replaced fairly frequently. The cats adored it...and it was the least intrusive of those things I have ever seen.

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 04:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Fish are fun!.....but it's like a combination legos (or doll house) and pets in that you also get to decorate an aquarium and build a cool little world.

If only little merpeople existed, you'd be truly happy, wouldn't you?

Wink

I've seen truly wonderful tanks which are almost their own little eco-system....like South American river worlds, or tropical reef worlds, which really did reproduce lovely places to gaze at. Of course, you see the fish less, because they have so many places to go to, but it meant that the world was very unpredictable.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:07 pm
@dadpad,
Like dadpad says:

Rains?????

Please explain!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:03 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Even when it's ok to begin with, they do their thing (scratching) and it looks like ****.

Best I ever saw was a built in one.....the tower hugged the wall up to the ceiling, and there were platforms on the way up...it hugged a door that was the one leading to the utility areas of the house, and there was no door in that doorway....it was at the back, looking out to thr garden, and the carpeting was the same colour as the walls. The cats were brown Burmese, so the platforms kind of disappeared and they stood out.

The owner simply resigned herself to having the carpeting replaced fairly frequently. The cats adored it...and it was the least intrusive of those things I have ever seen.

S0, what am I getting at... CAT WALLS.

So, what am I getting at....

CAT WALLS

Uh, but wait..

I had a tiny office in a tossup building, y'know, tilted concrete walls, though I forget the terminology. I got that after our space as a group was dissolved and became Mario whatever, while all along major motion pictures were happening down the hall. However, I still had this dumb little space and time went by.

A couple of guys got the closet near my space.. thinking 8 x 8 feet max.
Yeh, they became big in the wall climbing industry.

I'm no industrial designer, but still.... I see some openings re what people or cats need.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:10 am
@ossobuco,
I see my Cat Wall post is subsumed.

So it goes.

Moves paw.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:26 am
@sozobe,
Do it! You can start for under $30 with a Betta (including its aquarium) and go from there. Bettas are way easy, you don't even need any oxygenation and filtering, just change a bit of the water (1/3 is my initial recommendation) every week and that's it.

Fish are by far the least intrusive pets you can sell to EG and as long as you are going freshwater tropical I can answer just about any question to help you get to the "fish stay alive!" part more quickly if she graduates to more difficult fish than the Betta.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:21 am
D'ya get the fish channel? once upon a time there was a TV station that set up a camera in front of a fish tank and broadcast the picture. It effectivly turned your TV into an aquarium.

why? thought I. because some people want the ambience of an aquarium without the cost and work.
dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 01:57 am
@dadpad,
There are actually a heap of DVDs, with different environments and fish,

I got a screensaver once on my work computer that had a nice aquarium.....
Didn't Boida get one for Mikey, her giant psychopathic cat?

As I recall, he suddenly launched himself at the screen and broke the tv...
Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:12 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

There are actually a heap of DVDs, with different environments and fish,

I got a screensaver once on my work computer that had a nice aquarium.....
Didn't Boida get one for Mikey, her giant psychopathic cat?

As I recall, he suddenly launched himself at the screen and broke the tv...

Not an aquarium, Deb. It was a video of an environment--birds and squirrels. Natural sounds. He did launch himself at the tv screen--head first. He staggered a bit, but recovered. The tv was fine. I never played the video again (in his presence). It's very relaxing--if you're not a cat.

Hey, who you callin' psychopathic?
dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:25 am
@Roberta,
Who am I calling psychopathic?

Mikey!

Cute, but crazy.....

Do I hear you disagree?

margo

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:00 pm
@dlowan,
da bunny wrote:
Quote:

Mikey!

Cute, but crazy.....

Do I hear you disagree?

we don't disagreee....but RIP Mikey!
Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:07 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

da bunny wrote:
Quote:

Mikey!

Cute, but crazy.....

Do I hear you disagree?

we don't disagreee....but RIP Mikey!

Ok, so Mikey was huge and more than a little nuts. He is very missed.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:21 pm
@Roberta,
I miss him too...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:26 pm
@Roberta,
Mikey was a one and only fer sure.

Sad
0 Replies