Al Sharpton, Mitt Romney & Bigotry

Ragman

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 01:58 pm
it's all relatives
Strange is all relative. Some people feel the belief in Jesus is strange...as well as those who feel that belief in God is strange and wrong-headed.

I feel that any Presidential candidate can have ANY religious belief (or lack thereof) and STILL be a good candidate and good President. "Good" morality and good ethics are not relegated to those who are followers of organized religion. It just isn't so! It may be easier for you to relate to them, but it doesn't make a bit of difference to their qualifications and ability to make a single decision.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 02:01 pm
Hey perhaps if he is elected president I can get that second wife I have been eyeing. Laughing Laughing Got to post this before the wife comes in the room and sees it.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 02:12 pm
I gather that you love to lecture.

I think we all agree on what you said. However, my problem is when the candidate would pierce the wall between church and state.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 02:48 pm
Ragman
I've had my fill with religion in government from the pond scum now in office. Give me a good old fashion atheist to vote for.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 03:59 pm
Advocate wrote:

I think we all agree on what you said. However, my problem is when the candidate would pierce the wall between church and state.

It didn't happen with Jack Kennedy so it won't happend with Mitt.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 04:43 pm
au1929 wrote:
Ragman
I've had my fill with religion in government from the pond scum now in office. Give me a good old fashion atheist to vote for.

Not much chance of that happening in a national election any year soon - well, there might be one "to vote for", but not one with a legitimate chance. This is far too "religious" a country for that to happen.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 05:06 pm
au1929 wrote:
... Give me a good old fashion atheist to vote for.

Such as?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 06:24 pm
Miller
Just wishfull thinking. I doubt if any of the candidates was an non- believer he or she would be broadcasting it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 06:35 pm
Pope Benedict on Wednesday warned Catholic politicians they risked excommunication from the Church and should not receive communion if they support abortion.
It was the first time that the Pope, speaking to reporters aboard the plane taking him on a trip to Brazil, dealt in depth with a controversial topic that has come up in many countries, including the United States, Mexico, and Italy.

The Pope was asked whether he supported Mexican Church leaders threatening to exCity.communicate leftist parliamentarians who last month voted to legalize abortion in Mexico

AS usual the Catholic church attemps to blackmail catholic politicians.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 10:14 am
Miller wrote:
Advocate wrote:

I am afraid that Mitt would seek to make abortion illegal. He has spoken very strongly against choice.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 10:26 am
Advocate wrote:
Miller wrote:
Advocate wrote:

I am afraid that Mitt would seek to make abortion illegal. He has spoken very strongly against choice.

Don't worry Mitt is the master of all flip floppers. He says whatever is convenient at the moment. .
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 11:23 am
snood wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Ragman

Not much chance of that happening in a national election any year soon - well, there might be one "to vote for", but not one with a legitimate chance. This is far too "religious" a country for that to happen.

A "religious" country? How so?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 02:53 pm
Most of its inhabitants profess to adhere to some religion. Which part of that is hard for you?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 02:57 pm
I recall reading that about 40% of Americans profess to attending church regularly. This compares to about 5% of Europeans.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 05:31 pm
Advocate wrote:
I recall reading that about 40% of Americans profess to attending church regularly.

Where was this printed?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 05:32 pm
How does "attending church" make a person "religious"?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:33 pm
Religious is defined in Webster's online as:

relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity

If someone professes belief in a deity or attends a service regularly to honor or worship that deity, I'd say they were manifesting devotion to that deity. Most people in the US do one of those things, ergo, they are religious.

Are you trying o suggestthe majority of folks in the US are not religious, or what exactly?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:31 pm
au1929 wrote:
Advocate wrote:
Miller wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Don't worry Mitt is the master of all flip floppers. He says whatever is convenient at the moment. .

As do all the Pols!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 05:28 pm
Accusing Sharpton of hypocrisy, is like accusing a fish of swimming.

He's a reprehensible flimflam man but he sure is damned slippery one.No matter how many times he gets caught, he always manages to have a half-way decent response that frees him from being nailed down.This time it's "I was addressing the atheist Hitchens in a debate and saying that he ( the non-believer) need not worry becuase those who believe in God (as opposed to him) would take care of the Romney candidacy."

Makes some sense until one realizes he used the modifier "really." Since Hitchens does not, in anyway, believe in God, his counterpart need only believe in God not "really" believe in God. On the other hand, in an anti-Mormon's mind, the counterpart to a Morman (Romney) is someone who "really" believes.

Just as a conman's success is dependent on the greed of the Mark, so is Sharpton's dependent upon the resentment of life's losers and the guilt of life's winners.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 05:30 pm
Accusing Sharpton of hypocrisy, is like accusing a fish of swimming.

He's a reprehensible flimflam man but he sure is damned slippery one.No matter how many times he gets caught, he always manages to have a half-way decent response that frees him from being nailed down.This time it's "I was addressing the atheist Hitchens in a debate and saying that he ( the non-believer) need not worry becuase those who believe in God (as opposed to him) would take care of the Romney candidacy."

Makes some sense until one realizes he used the modifier "really." Since Hitchens does not, in anyway, believe in God, his counterpart need only believe in God not "really" believe in God. On the other hand, in an anti-Mormon's mind, the counterpart to a Morman (Romney) is someone who "really" believes.

Just as a conman's success is dependent on the greed of the Mark, so is Sharpton's dependent upon the resentment of life's losers and the guilt of life's winners.
0 Replies