Al Sharpton, Mitt Romney & Bigotry

Miller

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:08 pm
Al Sharpton, Mitt Romney & Bigotry

Is Hypocrisy Protected By The First Amendment?

Hypocrisy: America's Purest Form of Irony (AP)

Emil Steiner

When Al Sharpton publicly harpooned Don Imus for his "nappy headed hoes" remark, a lot of American's wondered: "is the pot calling the kettle black?" Confirmation of that question may have come during a debate, Monday, when the Reverend said the following to about Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney:

"As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation."

And a contented "I told you so" echoed from sea to shining sea. Why? Because let's face it, America loves catching a hypocrite, and never has there been one better positioned than Al Sharpton. The set up was perfect, the delivery impeccable. There he stood on high moral ground chastising a comedian for stepping over the line and then, less a month later, he spouts bigotry himself. And not in a poor attempt at observational humor mind you, but in a more sinister kind of prognostication forged by religious intolerance. "Don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation," seeming to imply that Mormons, like Romney, who don't believe in God, will get what's coming to them.

Now, of course I'm not trying to endorse what Don Imus said. Let's be clear, it was hurtful, rude and disturbing to a great many people, but you know what Imus did almost as soon as those words left his mouth? He apologized, oh boy did he apologize. He went on just about every show and repeated "I'm sorry" so many times it began to lose meaning. Al Sharpton on the other hand has not offered one apology to Mitt Romney, Mormons, or anyone else. Instead he has churned out spin, public relations mush mouthing, and the "it was taken out of context" line we've heard so many times before. Take from that what you will, but on the surface it certainly sounds like a cop out.

And so, if Sharpton is insincere about his stance on bigotry, one has to ask themselves about the sincerity of his motives? Does he really want to protect people against injustice or does is he merely using their plight as a platform to gain fame and fortune? Only Sharpton knows the answer to that, but the next time he grabs camera-time to go on the offensive, I hope he remembers that hypocritical speech may be protected by our Constitution, but it is always guilty in the court of public opinion.

Washington Post
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,093 • Replies: 55
No top replies

paull

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:14 pm
All the people Al has ever skewered had jobs; he doesn't, except in the wacky post-reconstruction world of white guilt and black "self" esteem.

Reminds me, I have to call Jesse Jackson and see how his bastard is doing.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:45 pm
Holy Bigots Batman! Al Sharpton Knocks Mormons?!
Justin Hart

Yesterday Al Sharpton said: "As for the one Jew running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyway, so don't worry, that's a temporary situation."

Are you kidding me! Oh, wait... I got that quote wrong.... here's the actual quote:

"As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyway, so don't worry, that's a temporary situation."

Does that sound any better? As Hugh Hewitt points out... if Al said:

If Al had declared that a Buddhist, Hindu or Muslim or candidate would be defeated by those "who really believe in God," how great would the outcry be?

I'm speechless?!

For all his banter and vile against Imus (some of it justified) -- how does he justify these comments? Any ideas on how to counter this? I'll have more later.

mymanmitt.com
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 06:11 pm
Holly Roller Dingbat, can a Baptist/Mormon/Catholic/Methodist/ /Jew etc also be a bigot? Seems impossible you say? Fortunately we have the Rosicrucians to atone for all their sins.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:52 pm
Quote:
Is Hypocrisy Protected By The First Amendment?

No, but for Reverend Al thank God jerry-curl still is, and apparently it has soaked through to his brain.

Funny, its Reverend Al's notoriety that is causing him being listen to now and he better understand he isn't just being heard by black folk like him anymore.

Mormons? Who cares about them. But Reverend Al had no legitimate reason to insult Mormons, after all, we'll need every christian type white man as a friend when the Scientologists come knocking.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 05:18 am
The funny thing is that every Christian on this board deep down feels the exact same way about Mormons, Hindus, Islams, etc. The bible says that god/jesus are the only true gods and that you should not follow in any others or false gods. It's the first commandment that you all want displayed in courthouses. The bible says that IT is the only true word of god, not the 'book of mormon'.

If you're a true believer of Christ and of the Bible, you're forced to agree with what Sharpton said.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 08:26 am
maporsche wrote:
The funny thing is that every Christian on this board deep down feels the exact same way about Mormons, Hindus, Islams, etc. The bible says that god/jesus are the only true gods and that you should not follow in any others or false gods. It's the first commandment that you all want displayed in courthouses. The bible says that IT is the only true word of god, not the 'book of mormon'.

If you're a true believer of Christ and of the Bible, you're forced to agree with what Sharpton said.

No... Not EVERY Christian feels that way. You may perceive that to be true, btu you would be wrong.

Al Sharpton is a tout and a criminal and should be ignored by the media as such.,
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:46 am
woiyo wrote:
maporsche wrote:

No... Not EVERY Christian feels that way. You may perceive that to be true, btu you would be wrong.

Al Sharpton is a tout and a criminal and should be ignored by the media as such.,

So you think that Muslims and Hindus are following the same god as Christians? I'm 100% sure/positive that the Bible tells you the exact opposite.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:25 am
Re: Al Sharpton, Mitt Romney & Bigotry
Emil Steiner wrote:
"As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation."

And a contented "I told you so" echoed from sea to shining sea. Why? Because let's face it, America loves catching a hypocrite, and never has there been one better positioned than Al Sharpton. The set up was perfect, the delivery impeccable. There he stood on high moral ground chastising a comedian for stepping over the line and then, less a month later, he spouts bigotry himself.

Why is this bigotry? Sharpton is just expressing his opinion on a theological matter: that Mormons do not worship the same Christian god that he does. How does that make him a bigot? Because the statement makes some people hurt, or angry, or all mopey? Someone help me out here.

Emil Steiner wrote:
And not in a poor attempt at observational humor mind you, but in a more sinister kind of prognostication forged by religious intolerance. "Don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation," seeming to imply that Mormons, like Romney, who don't believe in God, will get what's coming to them.

Hardly. It sounds more like Sharpton was predicting that Romney would fail in his bid for the GOP nomination.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:52 am
maporsche wrote:

So you think that Muslims and Hindus are following the same god as Christians? I'm 100% sure/positive that the Bible tells you the exact opposite.

Hindus, no, Muslims, yes. The God of the Bible is the Muslim God, it's just that they think Mohammed is that God's latest prophet. (After Moses and Jesus.)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:17 am
maporsche wrote:
woiyo wrote:
maporsche wrote:

I think it is all irrelevant. Too many people, probably people like you, use their so called "religion" as a crutch to advance their selfish means.

Imagine no religion?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:15 pm
woiyo wrote:
maporsche wrote:
woiyo wrote:
maporsche wrote:

I think it is all irrelevant. Too many people, probably people like you, use their so called "religion" as a crutch to advance their selfish means.

Imagine no religion?

I have no religion; I hate religion; God can go to hell.

No religion would be heaven.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:09 pm
Sharpton is a bigot and is otherwise despicable, but got a bad rap re his statement. He aimed the comment at Hitchens, who is an atheist, saying that believers [not people like you] would defeat Romney.

I don't see the bigotry in this incident.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:27 pm
Anyone who has seen Al Charlatan in action over the years knows just exactly what he is. A racist rabble rouser.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:49 pm
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:20 am
I add my name to the list of those who think Sharpton's brand of "civil rights" is baseless terrorism. As we've learned from our consciences (and hopefully the scriptures), any "Reverend" who gets rich therefrom is a crook.

Our polarized culture has taught us that it's okay to demonize people who don't agree with us 100%. Yet we all know that sit two people down in a room, they'll probably be incredibly reasonable and not play the sound-bites game. I have no idea why believing 100% of the words of Martin Luther or John Calvin is what makes someone a Christian. It seems to me anyone who uses Christ as the focal metaphor for their worship is a Christian. I'd just assume anyone who calls themselves a Christian is a Christian.

But I shouldn't have written that, because I don't want to go down the "who's a Christian" road. It doesn't look like we have any "who's a Christian" trolls here yet, but whereever someone says "Mormon," they'll be there. Suffice it now to say that 99% of us believe that Sharpton's words should invoke the same national response as Imus'.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:17 pm
I know next to nothing aside what I have seen in the movies, which no doubt is a distorted view, about Mormonism. Therefore can someone enlighten me. Are Mormons followers of Jesus Christ and if so wouldn't that qualify it to be a branch of the many branches of Christianity?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 10:37 am
The book of Mormonism states that Jesus lived for a time in Central America. I wonder whether Romney believes this.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 11:54 am
oh..and the New Testament or Old Testaments are full of literal truths? Who cares if that bible did say that about Jesus in Central America? Was Mitt R. the author who wrote it?

In fact, who should care if he's a Mormon? Surely not I!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 12:57 pm
Rag, you are right. I just thought that, in view of all we know, this was a strange belief.
0 Replies