Hot flashes!?!

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:42 pm
I'm too young for menopause!

I have been getting light sweats on and off for a few months. Since before summer (finally!) came around. It's just dawning on me that this might be a bit unusual and I should do some looking into it.

I'll be scanning the web, but does anyone here have any experience with hot flashes from something besides menopause or fevers?

checking this
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,922 • Replies: 44
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:53 pm
Hate to break it to ya gal

could be perimenopause...it happens at this age.

However there are many other hot flash things...synthetic fabrics, stress and diet, but, since I know ya Im thinking none of that is you. I remember seeing something on soy and tofu as a relief but, cant rember in what way, and any testing or results.

Is there any distinct other reactions you have? Shortness of breath, sleep problems?

History of high blood pressure in the family even?

hummm.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:57 pm
No other reactions I can figure out. Maybe it's nothing at all - just environmental heat sources. Or maybe I'm having chills instead of fevers...?

The tofu/soy thing is in reguards to menopause and it is supposed to help with hot flashes, I believe.

We do have high blood pressure in the family, but we have low BP too - mine tends towards the latter.

Hard to search for hot flashes without menopause all over the results page.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:00 pm
You could just be getting old but, I refuse to believe it.

Could be chills.

Is it only at night, or just occassional?
Do you know what you were doing when it happened?

All these questions..so little time.

yeah...that is a hard search...good luck with it!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:08 pm
I'd recommend seeing your primary doctor, littlek.

But, if it makes you feel better, I've had a few hotflashes myself over the last year or so. I had my annual pelvic last week and brought this up with my doctor. He told me not to worry just yet.....But did recommend a mammogram for me this year. Oh joy. (Thought a mammogram was only stressed at forty-years old and above. I was looking forward to three more years.....)

As far as the hotflashes go, my doctor mentioned that an episode could be brought on by a lot of things other than hormones. Stress being the biggest factor.

Please see your doctor.

Now I'm worried again. You don't want me to worry, do ya? Cuz we all know how good I am at worrying..... Embarrassed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:12 pm
Seems sweats are a common part of many things - most of them hormonal or as drug side effects.

It not only at night. I've started paying attention to the timing and environment, but only these last couple of days. It seems that I can be sitting in the same spot, doing the same thing and one minute need an over-shirt and then next I want to stand in front of the fan/AC. While, most of the time, doing the same thing in the same spot I'm perfectly dressed.

Bizzah! Ah well, it's about time for a doctor's appt anyway. She'll look at me like I'm as insane as usual.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:14 pm
Ah jeez, no, don't worry more Rae! As quinn says above, there is a thing called pre-menopause.....

A mamogram! <hot flash coming on! Seriously, just right now.> Talk about stress induced. I think that <adjusting fan> I'd be rather cat-like - screeching and clawing - if anyone wanted to get me in to have a mamogram anytime soon.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:26 pm
Thanks for the reminder, littlek ~ but worry is built into my soul.

Just see your doctor. Darnit. :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:31 pm
I will see my doctor. I'm paying the health insurance, I may as well benefit from it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:32 pm
There ya go!

It's prolly nothing, but why not confirm that instead of wondering. You'll get hot flashes from stressing about hot flashes! Razz
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:33 pm
Attagirl! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:34 pm
{grin}

And now I'm off to bed!

Thanks ladies. Good night.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:34 pm
LittleK:

I have hotflashes, only I AM the right age ... problem is ...

I'd go to the doctor, that way you make Rae happy, and give yourself some peace of mind!

Anon
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:36 pm
Hey Soz! I was thinking about the stress thing. I don't see a connection. I didn't have these random flashes on the airplane between here and the other side of the country and flying ALWAYS stresses me out (I did have some unrandom shvitzing - sp? - when I usually do).

Does that make sense? Hmmm. ok, good night......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:37 pm
Anon - good to see you outside of PUP. If I find anything out, I'll let you know. {grin}

OK, good night.....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:38 pm
Good night!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:38 pm
I don't know how old you are...but I had a friend go into menopause at 38....she found out since she and her husband went through all sorts of fertility testing.

They adopted.

He died of Hodgkins not long after, a freak thing, he had been fine for a long time.

Well, gee, it is July isn't it?
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:58 pm
littlek,
Doctor's appointment can't hoit. Sweats and chills could also be allergy related, but the last time I looked MD wasn't attached to my name, so get thee to a medico.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:58 pm
I get them occasionally and have low blood pressure. It's mainly stress related for me, but not directly in times of stress. Sometimes it's a bit afterward - like a 'reset' period I go through. I won't really feel like there's a problem and the 'whoosh'. I take it as a queue to have a quick lie down if it's possible.

I haven't had one in a while, but sometimes I'll get them a couple of times in the same day. And then the boy gets a good laugh at my expense....

Not to say you shouldn't get checked out, just to let you know it might just be a little inexplicable nothing so don't get too worried.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 11:46 pm
A good book to read is Ann Louise Gittleman's "Before the Change, Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause"

I've been following some of the suggestions for natural remedies and diet changes for two months now and can honestly say that I feel like I've been given my life back. I'm no longer a slave to my hormone changes.

Here's a link to the book at amazon.com. There are 21 sample pages you can preview to get an idea of the type of information it contains.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0062515373/104-7231665-9113523
0 Replies