Paranoia from the cold war

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:00 pm
Britain had secret plans at the height of the cold war to bury nuclear landmines in parts of Germany to thwart a Soviet attack, it emerged yesterday.
The 10 proposed devices would have had the combined explosive power of more than five Nagasaki A-bombs, resulting in craters more than 180 metres (600ft) deep and would have spread radioactive contamination across vast areas of the countryside if detonated.

The weapons, codenamed Blue Peacock, were to be left buried or submerged and detonated by a wire from up to three miles away or by an eight-day clockwork timer.
from The Guardian: Nuclear mines 'to stop Soviets'

The article in the New Scientist:
British army planned nuclear landmines

Do you remember any similar cold war stories?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,272 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:44 pm
WH: not similar but sorta ... hope this is ok to post ... Embarrassed

My memories of the cold war are what my Dad told me he went through: he was called to testify before the Oakland, CA, HUAC and he showed me articles where, when he wouldn't cooperate, he was labelled a communist. Just awful times, apparently ... not at all "Happy Days" as put forth on TV!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:56 pm
Interesting story, Walter. The Cold War was a textbook example of mass hysteria. Think of the twisted logic in the scenario the Guardian articles describes. We were willing to literally destroy a large chunk of the European continent, to render it unliveable for years, for what purpose? Why, to keep a particular political philosophy (Communism) from taking over that piece of real estate. If this is sane, I'd sure like to hear a viable definition of insanity.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:32 pm
MA, We've long past the "insanity" stage in building war machines. It's only amazing we haven't destroyed ourselves yet. It's only a matter of time, and it's not necessarily going to be a bin Laden or Saddam that initiates MAD. c.i.
0 Replies