Suing the Church for Sexual Abuse

gollum

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 06:36 pm
There have been numerous articles about people who have been victims of sexual abuse by officials of religious organizations when the victims were minors suing the church for millions of dollars in punitive damages.

I understand why the person who committed the abuse (e.g., a priest) should pay maybe down to his last nickel and his future income.

I understand why the people in the church who helped cover up the crime should pay maybe down to their last nickels and future income.

I have my doubts whether the church itself should be required to pay huge sums. Effectively, making the church pay injures the parishioners and beneficiaries of social programs.

What I really question is giving huge sums to the victim. Though he or she has been injured, it is generally not a financial injury. What will the victims do with the money that will recompense their pain? Making such large sums available, gives the victims a motive to exaggerate their pain.

I recommend that the damages be paid by the individuals responsible and paid to a charity that helps people in need.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 755 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 07:15 pm
gollum, If not financial recompense, what?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 07:35 pm
Gollum: Suppose several employees of a large hotel corporation committed rapes of more than a hundred guests of the corporation's various hotels. And after, when evidence of the wrongdoing was brought to the executives of the corporation, they not only did not turn in those employees for the crimes they had committed, they help move them to different hotels where, after a time, the same kind of crime was committed again.
Now, in the civil suits that followed all this activity, whom do you think should pay the victims? Only the perpetrators, or the preps and the bosses who covered for them, or all the stockholders of the corporation through the, hopefully huge, judgements held against the corporation.

The Archbishops and bishops of the Roman Catholic Church hid from view, protected from prosecution, the vilest of predators. They, and every member of every parish, ought to pay for the evil those princes of the Church committed.

Joe(Jesus wept)No kidding) Nation
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 08:30 pm
cicerone imposte-
I think the term recompense means to help to bring a victim back toward his state before the wrongdoing. A large sum of cash does not do that. Also, it is bizarre. If the victim takes the money and goes to Bloomingdales and buys some baubles how does that recompense the crime?

If the victim needed help to return his prior state (e.g., psychological services), I think payments to the third party provider of such services would be appropriate.

Joe Nation-
I think since the Archbishops and bishops of the Roman Catholic Church hid from view and protected from prosecution the vilest of predators those Archbishops and bishops should have their property taken from them. Be it sinecures, salaries, health insurance, lodging, etc. down to the last cufflink, it should be taken from them.

The logic of taking money from every member of the parish escapes me. I assume the members did not know of the crimes and could not have prevented them.

As to making the stockholders pay (via the corporation), the stockholders did not know of the crime. Furthermore, the corporation may be able to cause its insurance company to pay part of the damage spreading the cost even further from those who caused and enabled the crime.

But if you get your way and the corporation pays $1 million per victim, what will the victims do with the money? People will -- almost -- want to be raped.

I think the emperor has no clothes. The rape though terrible in its own ay has nothing to do with the motive for the money. The victims wanted the $1 million long before the crime occurred. We all do. Every person would like a $1 million. But only when one is raped, suddenly one is "entitled" to the money.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:18 pm
gollum, The victim never fully recovers from the abuse, but the money they receive is to "pay" for the "pain and suffering" they must endure for the rest of their lives. If you can find a better way to "recompense" for the victims, what do you propose?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:33 am
Quote:
As to making the stockholders pay (via the corporation), the stockholders did not know of the crime. Furthermore, the corporation may be able to cause its insurance company to pay part of the damage spreading the cost even further from those who caused and enabled the crime.

But if you get your way and the corporation pays $1 million per victim, what will the victims do with the money? People will -- almost -- want to be raped.

I think the emperor has no clothes. The rape though terrible in its own ay has nothing to do with the motive for the money. The victims wanted the $1 million long before the crime occurred. We all do. Every person would like a $1 million. But only when one is raped, suddenly one is "entitled" to the money.

Stockholders seldom know about the crimes. Ask the people who owned Enron stock.

As to your comment about wanting to be raped:
you either don't know who the victims were in the Church scandal or don't want to know,
you certainly appear not to have a clue about what is means to be sexually abused or you wouldn't attempt to connect it to any money award
or I think, I hope, you have just made a terrible mis-statement about what you are thinking.

Please take this opportunity to withdraw your comments.

Joe(How can a Church save us when they could not protect twelve year old altar boys from their own priests?)Nation
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 06:51 am
A parish priest is accused of molesting a child. What's the reaction of the parishoners? I guarantee that most of the time it's "NOT HIM"! "Not our wonderful, caring, spiritual leader". As far as I'm concerned, anyone who still supports these religious organisations, even after their actions are exposed, are just as guilty. A fool and his money are soon parted, and theists are the most delusional fools of all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:28 am
WOW Wilso, so final!
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:49 pm
Joe Nation-
I said "People will -- almost -- want to be raped." But alright, I withdraw my comment.
0 Replies