Diet Soda & Bone Strength

gollum

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:44 am
I am a 55 year old man and I recently fell down and broke my hip.

I have been drinking a lot of Diet Coke for years. Phosphoric acid is an ingredient in Diet Coke.

Does phosphoric acid weaken bones? Could it be a significant cause of the breaking of my hip?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:49 am
I dunno, but if you're drinking it instead of milk it can't be helping things. Has the doc tested you for osteoporosis? Men can get it, too.

Oh -- and feel better.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:54 am
Quote:
Experts aren't sure why drinking soda is linked to osteoporosis. It may be simply that the soda is displacing healthier drinks in your diet. If you're guzzling a Pepsi with dinner (or breakfast!) you're probably not drinking the glass of milk or fortified orange juice that nutritionists recommend.

"There is an association between people who have high soda intake and risk of fracture, but that's probably due to the fact that if they have a high soda intake, they have a low milk intake," agrees Robert Heaney, MD, FACP, a professor of medicine at Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., and a nationally recognized expert on osteoporosis.

"Those things have been shown to be linked in various studies. But when you look at the ingredients of the soda and give those to healthy people and measure what it does to their calcium composition, nothing happens at all."

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/soda-osteoporosis

If you read the entire article, you will see that there is really no definitive answer to your question.

Have you ever taken any form of cortisone for an extended period of time? Cortisone is notorious for leaching calcium from the bones.

Quote:
The leading cause of osteoporosis is a lack of certain hormones, particularly estrogen in women and androgen in men. Women, especially those older than 60 years, are frequently diagnosed with the disease. Menopause brings lower estrogen levels and increases a woman's risk for osteoporosis. Other factors that may contribute to bone loss in this age group include inadequate intake of calcium and vitamin D, lack of weight-bearing exercise, and other age-related changes in endocrine functions (in addition to lack of estrogen).

Other conditions that may lead to osteoporosis include overuse of corticosteroids (Cushing syndrome), thyroid problems, lack of muscle use, bone cancer, certain genetic disorders, use of certain medications, and problems such as low calcium in the diet.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/osteoporosis/page2_em.htm
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:05 am
Quote:
Adequate calcium, vitamin D, appropriate exercise and, in some cases, medication are important for maintaining bone health. Currently, bisphosphonates (alendronate, ibandronate and risedronate), calcitonin, estrogens, parathyroid hormone and raloxifene are approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the prevention and/or treatment of osteoporosis.

http://www.nof.org/patientinfo/medications.htm

Weight bearing exercise (walking) is wonderful for the control of osteoporosis. The article above goes into detail about the various medications that can be used for the condition.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:40 am
I thought they didn't include walking in the weight-bearing exercise category.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:53 am
I don't know about the phosphoric acid, but the caffeine could be contributing to weaker bones.

It can't hurt to start on a solid plan to build up your bones now. Or tweak your plan.
Your doc should be able to give you all the details, though a bunch here could give you some tips.

Heal quickly. Hope you feel better soon.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 11:29 am
littlek wrote:
I thought they didn't include walking in the weight-bearing exercise category.

It is sure is weight bearing. Not only that, for many people, who are older, and not too athletic, walking is just about one of the only weight bearing exercises that they can do.

Quote:
Believe it or not, gravity, or G for short, is very important to your bones. Your bones are made stronger by exercising against gravity because it puts resistance on your bones and muscles. For example, when you are walking, weight is placed on the bones of your feet, legs, and back. If you are riding a bike, resistance is placed on your legs. Exercises that involve walking, running, jumping, riding a bike, and lifting are weight-bearing exercises. This is only true because we have gravity on Earth.

http://rutgers.njfsnep.org/walk/default.asp

It is so interesting. When I was thinking about replying, I remembered a story that I had heard about the astronauts, and that after a long trek in space, they lose bone density. Then I Googled, "Walking/weight bearing exercise", and got an article from Rutgers that not only mentioned walking as a weight bearing exercise, but described what happens to Astronauts in space!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:17 pm
That's good news! But, then, wouldn't life itself be a weight bearing exercise?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:25 pm
You should be taking vitamins anyway, but look into a calcium supplement if you're not getting any through your diet. I've heard caffiene can contribute to weakening bones too...don't know how though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 03:32 pm
K, not when you're lying on the couch...
0 Replies