why would god want us to worship him?

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:38 am
I dunno about *all* of us. But I would. the 4.8L or maybe the M6 with the stone interior. Shocked
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 11:26 am
Hokie and STL you both already own beamers so stuff it. lol
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 11:56 am
BDoug wrote:
Hokie and STL you both already own beamers so stuff it. lol

That's because we believe in making our own heaven right here on earth.

No sense in waiting until ya croak.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:00 pm
Well they're definetly not gifts from god you heathen bastards. lol

When I move back Im expecting full use of your car STL! lol
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:19 pm
er, getting back to the omnipotent One, in light of this passage,

3you shall have no other gods before me. 4You shall not make for yourself an image, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, 6but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

there's clear disapproval of those who worship other gods, but what about agnostics, atheists, and the like who worship no god? are they still numbered among those who "reject" Yahweh? then i say that Yahweh is narcissistic & patriarchal.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 01:00 pm
If there are no other gods what is the narcissistic ass jealous of?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 02:44 pm
sorry about revisiting an old post, but i think it could stand some clarification:

neologist wrote:
Try this exercise:

Go to Borders Bookstore, or Dalton's.
Pick up the latest John Grisham novel.
Pay for it and take it home.
You now have the power and intelligence to skip the first 150 pages and go right to the end. But you might not do that.

God has no more obligation to peer into our moral futures than you have to peek at the end of the whodunit.

the analogy only fits if the future is already written. or are you implying that the ending of a novel might change depending on whether you read it cover to cover or skip to the end? in that case, Schrodinger's cat might be a better analogy. Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 04:29 pm
yitwail wrote:
er, getting back to the omnipotent One, in light of this passage,

3you shall have no other gods before me. 4You shall not make for yourself an image, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, 6but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

there's clear disapproval of those who worship other gods, but what about agnostics, atheists, and the like who worship no god? are they still numbered among those who "reject" Yahweh? then i say that Yahweh is narcissistic & patriarchal.
Aside from the fact that I find it intellectually refreshing to talk with atheists, the fact remains that in the issue raised by Satan in Eden, there are only 2 sides.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 04:37 pm
yitwail wrote:
sorry about revisiting an old post, but i think it could stand some clarification:

neologist wrote:
Try this exercise:

You now have the power and intelligence to skip the first 150 pages and go right to the end. But you might not do that.

God has no more obligation to peer into our moral futures than you have to peek at the end of the whodunit.

the analogy only fits if the future is already written. or are you implying that the ending of a novel might change depending on whether you read it cover to cover or skip to the end? in that case, Schrodinger's cat might be a better analogy. Laughing
Analogies are almost never completely sufficient, are they?

If God knew in advance the misery that would befall his creation, then it would be reasonable to conclude that all this evil at one time existed only within the mind of God before he visited it on us in some horrific act of celestial sadism. Not that Frank might not conclude this was so, but then you would have to wonder how such an evil force could produce humans which (often) show outstanding traits of love, justice and mercy.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:15 pm
neologist wrote:
Aside from the fact that I find it intellectually refreshing to talk with atheists, the fact remains that in the issue raised by Satan in Eden, there are only 2 sides.

If you find yourself in need of more refreshment, in addition to the one above, you left one hanging here.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:37 pm
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:

If you find yourself in need of more refreshment, in addition to the one above, you left one hanging here.
For the benefit of all, skeeter directed me here:
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
If they had perfect consciences, why were they not ashamed of being naked before eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil."

Beyond that my first question was what in the heck is there wrong or evil in the first place about the only two humans in existence being naked.
you perhaps have answered your first question with your second.

Perhaps not. The Bible clearly implies that there is a problem with their nakedness since they immediately began to cover up once their eyes were opened to the knowledge of good and evil.

I'm reminded of the way I felt when My cousin Tommy and I went behind the neighbor's house to sneak a smoke. I was about 10 or 11. When I got home, it was like my mother's eyes could see right through me. But there was no where to hide, and the smell of smoke eventually gave me away. Perhaps Adam and Eve covered themselves, not because it was wrong to be naked, but because of their sullied relationship with their creator. Just a guess. The bible doesn't completely explain it but one's conscience does have a way of tweaking one's behavior.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:44 am
neologist wrote:
yitwail wrote:

neologist wrote:
Try this exercise:

Analogies are almost never completely sufficient, are they?

If God knew in advance the misery that would befall his creation, then it would be reasonable to conclude that all this evil at one time existed only within the mind of God before he visited it on us in some horrific act of celestial sadism. .

i think that's a good point, actually. doesn't god know everything? surely the omnipotent one knew what would happen with the apple. free-will is only an illusion if one party knows outcome.

Quote:
Not that Frank might not conclude this was so, but then you would have to wonder how such an evil force could produce humans which (often) show outstanding traits of love, justice and mercy

it is also equally as common for humans to demonstrate exquisite shows of hatred and immorality and murderous abandon. and usually, is has been in the name of god or religion. we have historically slaughtered entire civilizations for exercising their free-will to believe something else.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 10:17 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
neologist wrote:
. . . Analogies are almost never completely sufficient, are they?

If God knew in advance the misery that would befall his creation, then it would be reasonable to conclude that all this evil at one time existed only within the mind of God before he visited it on us in some horrific act of celestial sadism. .

i think that's a good point, actually. doesn't god know everything? surely the omnipotent one knew what would happen with the apple. free-will is only an illusion if one party knows outcome.

Quote:
Not that Frank might not conclude this was so, but then you would have to wonder how such an evil force could produce humans which (often) show outstanding traits of love, justice and mercy

it is also equally as common for humans to demonstrate exquisite shows of hatred and immorality and murderous abandon. and usually, is has been in the name of god or religion. we have historically slaughtered entire civilizations for exercising their free-will to believe something else.
Does God necessarily know everything?

Surely he must have known it was possible for intelligent creation to rebel against his sovereignty. but think of the name he gives himself, Jehovah (or, Yahweh): in Hebrew it means 'he who causes to become'. He knew in advance that if such a thing happened, he would deal with it and in his time prevail.

The events in Eden are more than disobedience. Satan implied that God was a liar who did not have the best interests of humans in mind. He told Eve she would be better off making moral choices for herself. Notice that God's power was not in question, only his right to set standards for humans. These issues could not be removed by God simply zapping the rebels into nonexistence. Time would be required to settle the allegations.

It may it seem an interminably long time to us, but we don't have the same perception of time as does God.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 03:04 pm
To say that god does not know everything is blasphemous by most standards of the major religions. The vast majority of "the faithful" readily concedes that god is both omnipotent and omniscient.

Just to review:
omnipotent = capable of anything
omniscient = knowing of all things

So my question is this: Why would a being that is simultaneously omnipotent and omniscient ever intervene in the world based on human action? It would be like playing a game of chess where you knew exactly what your opponent was going to do.... pointless.

Regarding the sinning in the Garden of Eden, did god say, "Oh, I didn't know that was going to happen... let me fix that for you by sending down my kid... in forty centuries..."?

It seems that, in order to simultaneously take the story of creation seriously and believe that man has free will, you have to concede that god is either:

1. NOT capable of everything or
2. NOT aware of the future

.... doesn't it?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:42 pm
neologist wrote:

If God knew in advance the misery that would befall his creation, then it would be reasonable to conclude that all this evil at one time existed only within the mind of God before he visited it on us in some horrific act of celestial sadism. Not that Frank might not conclude this was so, but then you would have to wonder how such an evil force could produce humans which (often) show outstanding traits of love, justice and mercy.

you have a point, but it doesn't establish the creator's benevolence. a creator indifferent to its creatures' well-being might well allow all manner of altruistic behavior.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:58 pm
stlstrike3 wrote:
To say that god does not know everything is blasphemous by most standards of the major religions. The vast majority of "the faithful" readily concedes that god is both omnipotent and omniscient.

Just to review:
omnipotent = capable of anything
omniscient = knowing of all things

So my question is this: Why would a being that is simultaneously omnipotent and omniscient ever intervene in the world based on human action? It would be like playing a game of chess where you knew exactly what your opponent was going to do.... pointless.

Regarding the sinning in the Garden of Eden, did god say, "Oh, I didn't know that was going to happen... let me fix that for you by sending down my kid... in forty centuries..."?

It seems that, in order to simultaneously take the story of creation seriously and believe that man has free will, you have to concede that god is either:

1. NOT capable of everything or
2. NOT aware of the future

.... doesn't it?
If major religions don't agree with the bible, it is not the fault of the bible.

And If God knew all our moral eventualities, it would be cynical of him to offer us choice, don't you think? (See Deuteronomy 30:19, Joshua 24:15)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:02 pm
yitwail wrote:
neologist wrote:

you have a point, but it doesn't establish the creator's benevolence. a creator indifferent to its creatures' well-being might well allow all manner of altruistic behavior.
Would you say that even a run-of-the-mill parent wants the best for his/her offspring?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:08 pm
neologist wrote:
Would you say that even a run-of-the-mill parent wants the best for his/her offspring?

that's true even--or perhaps especially--with non-humans: mammals, birds, even certain fishes. but again, the analogy is flawed, since the same creator that created humans also created disease organisms.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:17 pm
neologist wrote:
If major religions don't agree with the bible, it is not the fault of the bible.

Lest you forget neo, what we know as the "Bible" was assembled by those that created what was to become "the major religion" of the time.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:40 pm
yitwail wrote:
neologist wrote:

that's true even--or perhaps especially--with non-humans: mammals, birds, even certain fishes. but again, the analogy is flawed, since the same creator that created humans also created disease organisms.
If, for the moment, you accept the Genesis story as true, then Adam and Eve would have had perfect immune systems.
0 Replies