why would god want us to worship him?

BDoug

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:44 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
God claims man has free will, but unless you worship him, you'll fry in hell forever. How's that for "free will?"

Well it makes about as much sense as a god that is omnipotent and omniscient creating an angel that he knew he would later have to banish to hell. It begs the question: if he knew this was going to happen why create Lucifer in the first place? Why create an opposing side? Just for giggles?

And better yet why stick us in the middle? If god knows our fallibility and ultimately knows the evil we will do in our life time (part of being that whole omniscient thing) then why create humans he knows he will have to send to hell? Kind of like saying "I know you're going to screw up but I get a kick out watching you try to be good."

Perhaps there really is no hell and we're all here for the experiences we garner during our lifetimes? If you feel a need to worship a deity then go ahead but all that time on your knees isnt going to free up much time experiencing what life has to offer, which I argue is God's greater intent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:49 pm
BDoug, Welcome to a2k. Your assessment proves again that only man could have written the bible; it has too many contradictions of a "loving god."

God is a masochist, a devil, and a tyrant all rolled into one.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 02:00 pm
I wouldn't go so far as to give god that much credit. MAN "is a masochist, a devil, and a tyrant all rolled into one." God is just the poor patsy whose name has been dragged through the mud by one nutcase or another who claims to have his unlisted telephone number.

If you choose to worship I applaud you. Having faith isn't always the easiest thing to do when constantly confronted with contradictory evidence. But whatever you do, don't use your faith as a trump card to dictate what I do in my life. As long as Im not hurting anyone stay in your pew and keep your dogma to a minimum. Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 03:48 pm
BDoug wrote:
. . . Well it makes about as much sense as a god that is omnipotent and omniscient creating an angel that he knew he would later have to banish to hell. It begs the question: if he knew this was going to happen why create Lucifer in the first place? Why create an opposing side? Just for giggles?

And better yet why stick us in the middle? If god knows our fallibility and ultimately knows the evil we will do in our life time (part of being that whole omniscient thing) then why create humans he knows he will have to send to hell? Kind of like saying "I know you're going to screw up but I get a kick out watching you try to be good."

Perhaps there really is no hell and we're all here for the experiences we garner during our lifetimes? If you feel a need to worship a deity then go ahead but all that time on your knees isnt going to free up much time experiencing what life has to offer, which I argue is God's greater intent.
You have presented a straw man without showing how the bible portrays God as knowing in advance all of our individual moral outcomes. The doctrines of predestination and reprobation, despite having been advanced by those claiming to represent God are nevertheless unscriptural.

I've always said that atheists don't need to invent straw men, the clergy will provide all that are needed.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 04:20 pm
Psalm 147:4,5
He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

If he doesnt have the ability to foresee the beginning AND the end (alpha and omega as us catcholics are so dutifully reminded) then his understanding is definetly not infinite.

Psalm 33:13
The Lord looketh from heaven; he beholdeth all the sons of men.

This one take as you will, either you can interpret it as he sees all born sons of men (all people alive at this time) or all sons of men of all time, born, dead and to be born in the future.

Isaiah 46:10
Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 04:33 pm
He takes pleasure in all the sufferings he created? He knew everything before he created everything; the bad and the good. He knew Satan would come from one of his angels. He knew man would have many sufferings including religious wars and the killings, rapes, and torture. He also knew of the sex offenses by priests of innnocent children. What a guy!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 05:49 pm
BDoug wrote:
He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

If he doesnt have the ability to foresee the beginning AND the end (alpha and omega as us catcholics are so dutifully reminded) then his understanding is definetly not infinite.

This one take as you will, either you can interpret it as he sees all born sons of men (all people alive at this time) or all sons of men of all time, born, dead and to be born in the future.

Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure.
Try this exercise:

Go to Borders Bookstore, or Dalton's.
Pick up the latest John Grisham novel.
Pay for it and take it home.
You now have the power and intelligence to skip the first 150 pages and go right to the end. But you might not do that.

God has no more obligation to peer into our moral futures than you have to peek at the end of the whodunit.
cicerone imposter wrote:
He takes pleasure in all the sufferings he created? He knew everything before he created everything; the bad and the good. He knew Satan would come from one of his angels. He knew man would have many sufferings including religious wars and the killings, rapes, and torture. He also knew of the sex offenses by priests of innnocent children. What a guy!
It's called free will
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 05:54 pm
neologist wrote:
BDoug wrote:

Try this exercise:

Go to Borders Bookstore, or Dalton's.
Pick up the latest John Grisham novel.
Pay for it and take it home.
You now have the power and intelligence to skip the first 150 pages and go right to the end. But you might not do that.

God has no more obligation to peer into our moral futures than you have to peek at the end of the whodunit.
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's called free will

Neo has just demonstrated for all of us the ability to carry on a train of thought totally and completely dislodged from the tracks of logic and reason.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:53 pm
stlstrike3 wrote:
. . . Neo has just demonstrated for all of us the ability to carry on a train of thought totally and completely dislodged from the tracks of logic and reason.
Stunning example of logical expositon. Neo is wrong because strike 3 says so.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:10 pm
So what you're telling me neo is that god has the ability to look into the future just chooses not to do it? What would be the reasoning and please dont say "god doesn't need a reason."

You would think a merciful god that has the ability to avert needless conflict (i.e. all of satans doing) would do so. He wouldn't sit idly by while the play unfolds simply to marvel at the fun of it all. (That was Zeus) lol
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:26 pm
BDoug wrote:
So what you're telling me neo is that god has the ability to look into the future just chooses not to do it? What would be the reasoning and please dont say "god doesn't need a reason."

You would think a merciful god that has the ability to avert needless conflict (i.e. all of satans doing) would do so. He wouldn't sit idly by while the play unfolds simply to marvel at the fun of it all. (That was Zeus) lol
There is no way he could grant us choice or free will if he were to know our outcome. If he knew in advance the 1000s of years of human misery that would follow Satan's rebellion, then the only conclusion would be that all this at one time existed only in his mind and that he visited it upon humanity in some sadistic stroke of divine lightning. If that were true, how could he create sentient beings who evince (at times) such outstanding qualities of love, justice and wisdom. Good out of evil? Doesn't wash with me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:26 pm
If god has the "power" and knowledge to create a heaven, why did he bypass it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:28 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
If god has the "power" and knowledge to create a heaven, why did he bypass it?
When did that happen? Or, since you don't believe, from where did you get that idea?

It doesn't sound like anything I have heard of.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:30 pm
neo, Think about it; god provided man with "free will." That should be the same condition in heaven, isn't not? CLUE: There's a problem with reconciling this idea of free will for both earth and heaven if the majority of man on earth are sinners, and they are not in heaven. What's wrong with this picture?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:32 pm
Walking on gold sidewalks for ten years - neigh, for a million years would be boring. That should drive everybody insane.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, Think about it; god provided man with "free will." That should be the same condition in heaven, isn't not? CLUE: There's a problem with reconciling this idea of free will for both earth and heaven if the majority of man on earth are sinners, and they are not in heaven. What's wrong with this picture?
Many angels joind Satan in his rebellion. What are you asking?

And what's this gold sidewalk thing? We were created to live on earth. Or, did I forget to tell you that?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:20 pm
That's called "heaven on earth." Sometimes, I've heard the term "paradise."
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:23 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

If the bible were written today, instead of "lands where milk and honey flow" would be replaced with "gleaming cities where everyone owns a Lexus".

Makes it sound more like the ridiculous nonsense it really is, eh?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:28 am
stlstrike3 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

If the bible were written today, instead of "lands where milk and honey flow" would be replaced with "gleaming cities where everyone owns a Lexus".

EXACTLY! I mean, why would everyone want to own a Lexus (aka toyota) when there are clearly superior machines??? ///M
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:33 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
stlstrike3 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

EXACTLY! I mean, why would everyone want to own a Lexus (aka toyota) when there are clearly superior machines??? ///M

Because, obviously, if there were a god, we'd all get an X5, right? Smile
0 Replies