why would god want us to worship him?

BDoug

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:01 pm
Rockpie, the examples you cited sound more like an addiction (with exception to family) than conscious homage to something. In that ilk I would argue that the most fervent and evangelical of church goers are actually addicted to religion rather than following it. But thats not neccessarily everyone.

For some it may be cultural, others it may be fear based and for some its simply the best answer to their questions. I think everyone has their own reasons to believe what they believe but generalizing and saying we have a "need" to do it doesnt apply to everyone.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:25 am
no, that's not what i was trying to say. the point was that whether it is God, booze, drugs or sex or whatever, we live our lives dedicated to something don't we? yes. so if we dedicate ourselves to something, it consumes our time and effort and life. is that not worship?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:43 pm
rockpie wrote:
no, that's not what i was trying to say. the point was that whether it is God, booze, drugs or sex or whatever, we live our lives dedicated to something don't we? yes. so if we dedicate ourselves to something, it consumes our time and effort and life. is that not worship?

No.
When we dedicate ourselves to something, it's called "dedication".
When we worship something, it's called "worship".
0 Replies

eclectic

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 02:35 am
Eorl wrote:
rockpie wrote:

No.
When we dedicate ourselves to something, it's called "dedication".
When we worship something, it's called "worship".

I think rockpie makes a valid point. Let's take a look at the words themselves:

Quote:
worship, derived from Middle English, worschip; Anglo Saxon weorthscipe, wyrthscipe, "honor, dignity, worth;" from weorth, wurth, "worthy, honorable" + scipe "quality, condition, or state of"
1. a prayer, church service or other rite showing reverence of devotion to a deity; religious homage or veneration
2. extreme devotion; intense love or admiration of any kind
[only first two meanings given]

Therefore, according to this definition, worship is an expression of devotion.

Quote:
devote, derived from Latin, devovere, "to dedicate by vow;" de, "from" + "vovere," to vow
1. to dedicate, to consecrate
2. to give up or apply (oneself or one's time, energy, etc) to some purpose, activity, or person

And, as this definition shows, devotion also implies dedication.

Quote:
dedicate, derived from Latin, dedicare, "to consecrate, declare;" de, intensitive + dicare, "to proclaim, make known"
1. to set apart for a deity or religious purpose; devote to something sacred
2. to set apart for any special purpose; devote to some work, duty, etc
[only first two meanings given]

Therefore, whatever we invest with enough importance to spend our time, energy, or other resources on is, in a very significant way, what we worship.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:23 am
This thread has taken a large tangent, when I think the answer to the thread-starter's question is simple. If god wanted us to worship him, it's obvioulsy because he/she wants his/her ego stroked.

We should be able to identify with this if we believe the Judeo-Christian doctrine that god created man in his own image.

The fact that the holy books say that god wants us to do this seems to betray the likely conclusion that the doctrine itself is man-made.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:01 am
stlstrike3 wrote:
If god wanted us to worship him, it's obvioulsy because he/she wants his/her ego stroked.

Would you also argue that the obvious reason that parents demand respect from their children is that they want their egos stroked? Or is it because they know that it is good for children to treat adults with a certain degree of respect? In a similar way, perhaps we are encouraged to worship God because a disposition of worship toward a higher power is conducive to happiness?
Quote:
We should be able to identify with this if we believe the Judeo-Christian doctrine that god created man in his own image.

The fact that the holy books say that god wants us to do this seems to betray the likely conclusion that the doctrine itself is man-made.

The doctrine is man-made. It was written by men. Perhaps God is able to work through us in certain ways. The fact that there are contradictions and incomprehensible elements to the bible may indicate that those who wrote it were imperfect conduits for God's expression. That wouldn't make the bible necessarily worthless. It means that it would have to be read with discernment. Separate what is divinely inspired from what is merely cultural conditioning.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:37 am
IFF: Separate what is divinely inspired from what is merely cultural conditioning.

Exactly how does one "separate what is divinely inspired from cultural conditioning?" Who determines this separation, and under who's authority?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:55 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
IFF: Separate what is divinely inspired from what is merely cultural conditioning.

Exactly how does one "separate what is divinely inspired from cultural conditioning?" Who determines this separation, and under who's authority?

That's up to each person to determine for themselves. Personally, I don't trust any single authority. I look to my own knowledge, intuition, and experience, along with many different spiritual sources. Also, I don't give too much emphasis to the bible, or any single sacred text. I have studied many sacred documents, both ancient and modern. It is possible to find a common thread, independent of particular cultures or world-views. Obviously, some texts are more valuable than others.
0 Replies

eclectic

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 02:24 am
IFeelFree wrote:
stlstrike3 wrote:
If god wanted us to worship him, it's obvioulsy because he/she wants his/her ego stroked.

Would you also argue that the obvious reason that parents demand respect from their children is that they want their egos stroked? Or is it because they know that it is good for children to treat adults with a certain degree of respect? In a similar way, perhaps we are encouraged to worship God because a disposition of worship toward a higher power is conducive to happiness?

Quote:

The doctrine is man-made. It was written by men. Perhaps God is able to work through us in certain ways. The fact that there are contradictions and incomprehensible elements to the bible may indicate that those who wrote it were imperfect conduits for God's expression. That wouldn't make the bible necessarily worthless. It means that it would have to be read with discernment. Separate what is divinely inspired from what is merely cultural conditioning.

I agree. Seems to me a divinity wouldn't need an ego OR he/she would be much beyond needing to have it stroked. Humans crave ego strokes because they can't recognize their own inner goodness.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:59 am
I've noticed that Christians love to use the parent/child relationship when speaking of God and humans.

If that is so than why does God love killing humans? His solution to all problems is to kill people.

If your children refused to obey you would you kill them?

If your children refused to follow your religion would you abandoned them?

In a parent/child relationship the parent teachs the child. The child has no experience to go on and has to rely on the parent.

Not so in religion. Atheist and agnostics can be just as moral, if not more so, than religious people. One doesn't need religion to be moral and many religious people are immoral. But they will be saved because they believe so it is profitable to sin when a Christian and if not a Christian you lose regardless of what you do.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 07:08 am
While we're on the subject of parenting do you, as a parent, believe that teaching your children by example is the proper way to raise a child or do you believe that your behavior has nothing to do with the behavior you demand from your child?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 10:45 am
xingu wrote:
I've noticed that Christians love to use the parent/child relationship when speaking of God and humans.

If that is so than why does God love killing humans? His solution to all problems is to kill people.

God kills humans? How do you figure that?
Quote:
Atheist and agnostics can be just as moral, if not more so, than religious people. One doesn't need religion to be moral and many religious people are immoral. But they will be saved because they believe so it is profitable to sin when a Christian and if not a Christian you lose regardless of what you do.

The idea that Christians are guaranteed salvation and all others are doomed to eternal suffering in hell strikes me as extremely naive.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 10:46 am
xingu wrote:
While we're on the subject of parenting do you, as a parent, believe that teaching your children by example is the proper way to raise a child or do you believe that your behavior has nothing to do with the behavior you demand from your child?

Is this question directed at me? Actually, I have no children. However, I believe that teaching by example is the best way to teach.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:17 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
xingu wrote:

Quote:
Atheist and agnostics can be just as moral, if not more so, than religious people. One doesn't need religion to be moral and many religious people are immoral. But they will be saved because they believe so it is profitable to sin when a Christian and if not a Christian you lose regardless of what you do.

The idea that Christians are guaranteed salvation and all others are doomed to eternal suffering in hell strikes me as extremely naive.

Question one; read the Bible. God is always killing people.

It may be naive to you but not to most Christians, esp. conservative Christians. Where do you suppose they got that naive idea from?

Read the Bible. They didn't make it up.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:18 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
xingu wrote:

Is this question directed at me? Actually, I have no children. However, I believe that teaching by example is the best way to teach.

Well God does not teach by example. Read the Bible.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:25 pm
xingu wrote:

It may be naive to you but not to most Christians, esp. conservative Christians. Where do you suppose they got that naive idea from?

I have read the bible (or parts of it, at least). However, that doesn't mean that I believe everything that is written in it, or that I believe it is to be taken literally. The notion of God killing people is not reconcilable with the idea of a loving God. In my experience, God is love, so I cannot accommodate the view that God kills people. I guess your question was for Christians who believe that. My apologies.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:27 pm
xingu wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
...I believe that teaching by example is the best way to teach.

Well God does not teach by example. Read the Bible.

Perhaps a Christian who believes in the literal truth of the bible will respond?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 03:34 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
xingu wrote:

God kills
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 04:39 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
xingu wrote:

I have read the bible (or parts of it, at least). However, that doesn't mean that I believe everything that is written in it, or that I believe it is to be taken literally. The notion of God killing people is not reconcilable with the idea of a loving God. In my experience, God is love, so I cannot accommodate the view that God kills people. I guess your question was for Christians who believe that. My apologies.

If you believe that God is a God of love, unconditional love for all mankind, than do you believe the God in the Bible is real or something created by those who wrote the Bible?

If don't believe he is real than where did you get your God from?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 04:58 pm
Please identify your "god."

Define, describe, what, how, when, where, and who?
0 Replies