why would god want us to worship him?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:56 pm
Luciene, According to the good book, god created this planet about 7,000 years ago, but we know through science that this planet is over 4 billion years old. Your good book is full of nonsense, errors and omissions. Science has a way to correct itself, but the bible (supposedly the word of god) can't.
0 Replies

Luciene

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:00 pm
*blinks*

Parts of the Good Book are metaphors. Do you honestly think all Christians believe the world was created in 7 days? That's soo 16 century Razz
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:18 pm
Luciene wrote:
*blinks*

Parts of the Good Book are metaphors. Do you honestly think all Christians believe the world was created in 7 days? That's soo 16 century Razz

So by what standard to you decide what you take literally from the bible and what you do not? There's no decoder ring for the bible (least, not so far as I'm aware).

To preempt the usual "Jesus' laws trump the old testament" argument, riddle me this:

All Christians believe that Jesus died to atone for original sin.

Original sin... isn't that the story of Adam and Eve?

If one is to tell me they are a Christian, but that they read the book of Genesis "figuratively"... then Jesus died for, what... a pretend sin?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:23 pm
You misunderstand Christianity Slk.

You first decide what you want to believe-- including your values, your sense of right and wrong, your view of science and your judgements about what other people should or shouldn't do.

Then you pick out just the parts Bible that support your personal beliefs. You can either explain away the other parts, or just ignore them.

This is what makes the Christian religion so popular.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:29 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
You first decide what you want to believe-- including your values, your sense of right and wrong, your view of science and your judgements about what other people should or shouldn't do.

Then you pick out just the parts Bible that support your personal beliefs. You can either explain away the other parts, or just ignore them.

Popularity has absolutely no bearing on whether or not something is true... belief in Zeus was quite popular once, too....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:41 pm
Who says that "god" wants anyone to worship him/her/it? Certainly the priests and preachers say so.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:43 pm
"Religion" is popular, because man has an inherent need for something superior to humans.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:57 pm
stlstrike3 wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Popularity has absolutely no bearing on whether or not something is true... belief in Zeus was quite popular once, too....

Popularity is everything.

Truth doesn't matter in religion. Zues may just be the real king of the gods, but no one worships him anymore-- so what does it matter. Jesus is raking in the big bucks these days... what does it matter if he really existed or not?
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 04:21 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

Popularity is everything.

Truth doesn't matter in religion. Zues may just be the real king of the gods, but no one worships him anymore-- so what does it matter. Jesus is raking in the big bucks these days... what does it matter if he really existed or not?

Because Christianity tries to hide behind First Ammendment protection to endorse hate speech.

Because people are now smart enough to wage nuclear war and still believe that they will get the 72 virgins in heaven.

Because there are a not-small number of Christians in our country who feel it is their obligation to turn the United States into a theocracy.

Because if people really believe that Jesus is coming back, and that the book of Revelation is accurate in stating that global conflict has to break out before he will return, do we really want these same people dictating foreign policy?

Because if people really believe (as 44% of Americans do) that Jesus is definitely or probably returning in their lifetimes, who's going to give a rat's ass about global warming?

THIS is why it matters.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 04:55 pm
stlstrike, You missed one: people are believing in a fictional character with no redeeming benefit; except that the churches still get their money.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 04:58 pm
stlstrike3 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Were you to pay attention to the bible, you would understand that a great part of the central issue in the universe is Satan's desire for man to worship him. All that is necessary in that respect is for folks to direct their worship to any thing or god other than Jehovah.

Worship directed to Satan will have the same consequence it had for Adam and Eve: eventual death.

Worship directed to the true God will lead to everlasting life. This explains Jesus' statement at John 17:3.

But there are other holy books in other parts of the world that say the same thing. What if I have chosen to worship the wrong god? What if I spend my whole life pining after Yahweh, but then I arrive at the pearly gates only to find Baal. And what if he's reeeeally reeeeally pissed off that I was off whoring with his rival god?

Seems its better not to pick sides and just focus on living a good life on earth.

Smile
Well, you could choose to worship Baal the way in which the Canaanites worshipped him. But have you thought that through?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 05:03 pm
Re: why would god want us to worship him?
Miller wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:
Doesnt that mean he has an ego? if he loved us wouldnt he rather have our respect and admiration? not our prostration?

There is no evidence that God wants or needs worship.
Rolling Eyes
In fact, God does not need anything from us. Our 'worship' is related to our understanding of what he has done for us.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 02:34 am
Re: why would god want us to worship him?
Luciene wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:
Doesnt that mean he has an ego? if he loved us wouldnt he rather have our respect and admiration? not our prostration?

Without enforced worship, do you think anyone would remember about God?

Anyway, how would you like it if your kid keeps asking for stuff, but then doesn't respect you? Like in religion, God gives mankind so much, shouldn't we have to respect him so much more?

irrelevant.
Respect is not worship. kids dont ask to be born and neither did any person alive. if anything god owes us for forcing us to be born into such a shitty place.

Its sorta like if you own a dog and you beat it to obtain obedience, instead of doing it the right way and showing love and compassion. all living things have equal rights to being happy, they should ask for things they want. and if im the one that brought them into this world it would be my responsibility to give them those things.

maybe we should forgot about god. thered be alot less violence Razz
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 02:37 am
Setanta wrote:
Who says that "god" wants anyone to worship him/her/it? Certainly the priests and preachers say so.

excellent point, which goes to show people are following the word of man, not the word of any god.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:35 am
OGIONIK wrote:
Setanta wrote:

excellent point, which goes to show people are following the word of man, not the word of any god.
A perception generally true, but not a rule.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:40 am
neologist wrote:
stlstrike3 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Were you to pay attention to the bible, you would understand that a great part of the central issue in the universe is Satan's desire for man to worship him. All that is necessary in that respect is for folks to direct their worship to any thing or god other than Jehovah.

Worship directed to Satan will have the same consequence it had for Adam and Eve: eventual death.

Worship directed to the true God will lead to everlasting life. This explains Jesus' statement at John 17:3.

But there are other holy books in other parts of the world that say the same thing. What if I have chosen to worship the wrong god? What if I spend my whole life pining after Yahweh, but then I arrive at the pearly gates only to find Baal. And what if he's reeeeally reeeeally pissed off that I was off whoring with his rival god?

Seems its better not to pick sides and just focus on living a good life on earth.

Smile
Well, you could choose to worship Baal the way in which the Canaanites worshipped him. But have you thought that through?

You could jump on the Bahá'í bandwagon and cover all your bases.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:41 am
true , but barely so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:54 am
neologist wrote:
stlstrike3 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Smile

It was not just Canaanites who worshipped Baal, many of the Jews did as well. However, Judeo-Christian propagandists like to overlook that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:08 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
stlstrike3 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Smile

It was not just Canaanites who worshipped Baal, many of the Jews did as well. However, Judeo-Christian propagandists like to overlook that.
Surely. But not by decree of their professed God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:16 am
Ah, but that is my point, that not all of the Jews in times gone by professed to a belief in Jehovah.
0 Replies