why would god want us to worship him?

stlstrike3

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:49 am
Setanta wrote:
Ah, but that is my point, that not all of the Jews in times gone by professed to a belief in Jehovah.

No. The point is that no one has the slightest bit of evidence that they are worshipping the one true god... (assuming you're accepting the fact that there is such a thing).

If worship of a god is important to said deity, how could he/she/it just brush aside someone who's soul arrives at the gates of whatever, but they were touching themselves over a rival/false god?

How do you know that those who are worshipping Jesus this whole time aren't going to meet Apollo in the afterlife?

My point is... worshipping to suck up isn't worship at all... it's hedging one's bets... and with all the available deities to worship... how can you possibly pick the right one? And what about all the unfortunate fools who were worshipping other gods prior to the arrival of "the one true god" (assuming you believe that's jesus). Do those worshipping the Great Juju at the Top of the Mountain prior to Christ get a free pass, and those afterwards get to enjoy the lake of fire?

It's all ridiculous.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:54 am
"its all ridiculous"

the truest statement of the day!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:59 am
stlstrike3 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Ah, but that is my point, that not all of the Jews in times gone by professed to a belief in Jehovah.

No.

Don't tell me no. Neo and i were having a discussion. I assure you that i know what point i was making far better than do you. Have the courtesy not to stick your nose in our conversation if you don't have anything to say on the topic we are discussing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
stlstrike3 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

No.

Don't tell me no. Neo and i were having a discussion. I assure you that i know what point i was making far better than do you. Have the courtesy not to stick your nose in our conversation if you don't have anything to say on the topic we are discussing.
Watchatalkinbout, strike? I had always thought the word 'Jew' meant 'Worshipper of Jehovah' in its origin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:18 pm
Oh Jeeze . . . now i really need a cup of coffee . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:19 pm
stlstrike3 wrote:
... and with all the available deities to worship... how can you possibly pick the right one? . . .
Ask neo. :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
Oh Jeeze . . . now i really need a cup of coffee . . .
That reminds me, I need to buy some more grind. Startin' to shake already.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:21 pm
The "Israel Project-dot-org" would take you to task for that, Neo:

Quote:
From the Hebrew name of the patriarch Judah, whose name also came to designate the tribe and tribal district in which Jerusalem was located. Thus, the inhabitants of Judah and members of the tribe of Judah come to be called "Judahites" or, in short form, "Jews." The religious outlook associated with these people after about the 6th century BCE comes to be called "Judaism," and has varying characteristics at different times and places: see especially early Judaism, rabbinic Judaism.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
The "Israel Project-dot-org" would take you to task for that, Neo:

Quote:
From the Hebrew name of the patriarch Judah, whose name also came to designate the tribe and tribal district in which Jerusalem was located. Thus, the inhabitants of Judah and members of the tribe of Judah come to be called "Judahites" or, in short form, "Jews." The religious outlook associated with these people after about the 6th century BCE comes to be called "Judaism," and has varying characteristics at different times and places: see especially early Judaism, rabbinic Judaism.
Yeah, I checked it out. Yer right. Literally means [Of (Belonging to) Judah]. Of course it was first used to mean those who accepted the nominal Jewish faith.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 08:24 am
Why worship God? The only other options are to worship the self, another person or an inanimate object.

To render the affection toward God is to recognize the creator over the creation.

When we worship the self we become lonely... when we worship other persons we become eventually let down.... when we worship inanimate objects we become disillusioned....

God will never let you down, we are never alone with God and God will never promise you something he cannot perform.

A better question is, how does one worship God properly?
0 Replies

good2know

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 01:47 pm
Interesting, I thought about that the other day. Why would god want us to worship him, if he is all powerful then why does he need us to worship him. I know your question is a bit different, but my point is on the same line.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 02:10 pm
God claims man has free will, but unless you worship him, you'll fry in hell forever. How's that for "free will?"
0 Replies

justagirly

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:26 am
God does not have an "ego" problem. Singing in worship and praise is something believers do out of their own will and hearts to show God we love him. If you truly get to know the Lord...you'll realize all this.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:06 pm
How can one "really get to know the lord" when he's absent except in the imagination of believers? Most Greek and Egyptian gods are now called "myths." Centuries before your lord was "created by man" many humans believed in their gods (sun, moon, animals, and other gods they created) - prayed to them, made sacrifices to them, and died for them.

What's the difference between your lord and those gods before your lord? All those other gods were "powerful" too! That's because man made them that way.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:16 pm
God doesn't need anything from us.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:22 pm
neo, Is there a difference between "need" and "demand?"

What do you consider the ten commandments? How do you interpret "commandment?"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:30 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Should I re tell you the implications of the rebellion in Eden and how Satan has led mankind into worship of anything other than God? That is why God demands worship in the correct direction.

But need it? No
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:49 pm
neologist wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Should I re tell you the implications of the rebellion in Eden and how Satan has led mankind into worship of anything other than God? That is why God demands worship in the correct direction.

But need it? No

Yes... but prove that you've chosen the correct god to worship.

I think the bible was put on earth by satan to trick us into thinking we didn't need to worship the One True Flying Spaghetti Monster.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:02 pm
neologist wrote:

But need it? No

If your god doesn't need worship, why would she demand it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:04 pm
stlstrike3 wrote:
neologist wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

But need it? No

Yes... but prove that you've chosen the correct god to worship.

I think the bible was put on earth by satan to trick us into thinking we didn't need to worship the One True Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Yeah, that's it. What we need is the long lost decretium pastafarium.

Sorry if my Latin neologisms are not spelled correctly.
0 Replies