why would god want us to worship him?

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 02:23 am
Doesnt that mean he has an ego? if he loved us wouldnt he rather have our respect and admiration? not our prostration?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,526 • Replies: 240
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 06:30 am
Another good explanation added to why god is man-made.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 05:29 pm
It's obviously emotional insecurity. So God, if you're listening, I want you to look in a mirror and repeat after me:

I'm good enough.
I'm smart enough.
And, gosh darn it, people like me!

There, isn't that better?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 06:50 pm
Ah, let's see. I'm all powerful, so I'm gonna create a bad place for eternal punishment. But all I really want is for you to love me of your own free will. But if you don't, then I'll put you in that bad place. But it's your decision, ya know. Love me or burn. Cause I really love you so much that if you don't love me back, I'll kill you. And I'm all powerful, you know.

P
0 Replies

Scorpius

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:26 pm
Cos only he knows what we need and what's best for us - oh not forgetting cos he loves us.

Quote:
I want you to look in a mirror and repeat after me

You already are - what projection! Laughing

Where is there any realevidence of God having an ego?

This is a bit like those that are proud will call those that are humble arrogant... Sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:29 pm
We all know about the carrot and the stick, but in his case, it's eternal damnation. What a choice!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:51 pm
Were you to pay attention to the bible, you would understand that a great part of the central issue in the universe is Satan's desire for man to worship him. All that is necessary in that respect is for folks to direct their worship to any thing or god other than Jehovah.

Worship directed to Satan will have the same consequence it had for Adam and Eve: eventual death.

Worship directed to the true God will lead to everlasting life. This explains Jesus' statement at John 17:3.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:53 pm
It seems from a logical point of view that the worship of Satan has more benefits than the worship of god. The consequences aren't as bad.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 11:07 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It seems from a logical point of view that the worship of Satan has more benefits than the worship of god. The consequences aren't as bad.
I can see where it may seem so.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:17 pm
neologist wrote:
Were you to pay attention to the bible, you would understand that a great part of the central issue in the universe is Satan's desire for man to worship him. All that is necessary in that respect is for folks to direct their worship to any thing or god other than Jehovah.

Worship directed to Satan will have the same consequence it had for Adam and Eve: eventual death.

Worship directed to the true God will lead to everlasting life. This explains Jesus' statement at John 17:3.

But there are other holy books in other parts of the world that say the same thing. What if I have chosen to worship the wrong god? What if I spend my whole life pining after Yahweh, but then I arrive at the pearly gates only to find Baal. And what if he's reeeeally reeeeally pissed off that I was off whoring with his rival god?

Seems its better not to pick sides and just focus on living a good life on earth.

Smile
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:18 pm
neologist wrote:

But there are other holy books in other parts of the world that say the same thing. What if I have chosen to worship the wrong god? What if I spend my whole life pining after Yahweh, but then I arrive at the pearly gates only to find Baal. And what if he's reeeeally reeeeally pissed off that I was off whoring with his rival god?

Seems its better not to pick sides and just focus on living a good life on earth.

Smile
0 Replies

Luciene

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:34 pm
Re: why would god want us to worship him?
OGIONIK wrote:
Doesnt that mean he has an ego? if he loved us wouldnt he rather have our respect and admiration? not our prostration?

Without enforced worship, do you think anyone would remember about God?

Anyway, how would you like it if your kid keeps asking for stuff, but then doesn't respect you? Like in religion, God gives mankind so much, shouldn't we have to respect him so much more?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:40 pm
Luciene, What has god given man?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:43 pm
OGIONIK wrote:

There is no evidence that God wants or needs worship.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:44 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
... What has god given man?

God gave humanity life and a human soul. :wink:
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:44 pm
I want you all to worship me.

Why would God be any different.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:45 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Luciene, What has god given man?

The Aquaduct...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:46 pm
Luciene wrote:

Without enforced worship, do you think anyone would remember about God?

How is remembrance of God related to worship? The act of remembering is totally distinct from the act of worship.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:47 pm
Miller wrote: "God gave humanity life and a human soul."

Provide proof for this claim.
0 Replies

Luciene

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:51 pm
In religion, we believe God gave mankind life and the planet with everything on it.

Miller wrote:
How is remembrance of God related to worship? The act of remembering is totally distinct from the act of worship.

It's my personal experience that if you don't come into contact with something, you tend to forget about it. And you do not see/touch God or whatever.
0 Replies