Should we be involved?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 06:53 pm
and btw if sitting on my ass while being clueless about what's really going on in Iraq is good enough for the president then by God it's good enough for me. I'm a patriot.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 06:55 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and btw if sitting on my ass while being clueless about what's really going on in Iraq is good enough for the president then by God it's good enough for me. I'm a patriot.

If its good enough for you,then stop complaining about whats going on.

Like you said,you are 'clueless" about whats going on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 07:08 pm
EmilyGreen wrote:
I work for the VA. I don't support any war at the moment. Its unreal what these soldiers are coming home with... the lucky ones don't come back.

EmilyGreen - tell us. I think you should start a pristine thread and tell us some stories from the VA.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:02 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

If its good enough for you,then stop complaining about whats going on.

Like you said,you are 'clueless" about whats going on.

no, I am not clueless I just disagree with you. I would be happy to buy you a ticket back to Baghdad since you seem to have such a hard on for it. I don't.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:20 pm
fjf1329 wrote:
The US correctly engaged Saddam Hussein in Iraq for the following reasons:
1. The best intelligence of the day including British, French and German indicated that there were WMDs and/or precursors in Iraq.

German intelligence huh?

So why did German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer, breaking protocol to do so, at the time turn to Donald Rumsfeld directly in his speech at an international summit and switch to English to tell him,

"The Americans allowed us to build up our democracy, but in this democracy my generation has learnt... ( in English ) You have to make the case, and to make the case in a democracy, you have to be convinced yourself, and excuse me, I am not convinced. [..] I cannot go to the public and say, "well, let's go to war because there are reasons" [when] I don't believe in that."

The German foreign minister was not convinced that Iraq still had WMDs at the time. And yet you claim that German intelligence said there were WMDs? Do you know the German intelligence better than Joschka Fischer did?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:40 pm
fjf1329 wrote:
The US correctly engaged Saddam Hussein in Iraq for the following reasons:
1. The best intelligence of the day including British, French and German indicated that there were WMDs and/or precursors in Iraq.

Moreover, this is one original document that should have put this kind of claim to rest a long time ago:

Note - this was almost three weeks after Powell's famous presentation at the UN.

They said:

Quote:
[..] • While suspicions remain, no evidence has been given that Iraq still possesses weapons of mass destruction or capabilities in this field;

• Inspections have just reached their full pace; they are functioning without hindrance; they have already produced results;

• While not yet fully satisfactory, Iraqi co-operation is improving, as mentioned by the chief inspectors in their last report.

So much for the claim that "The best [French and German] intelligence of the day indicated that there were WMDs and/or precursors in Iraq". Bald faced lie is the term I think.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:36 pm
Bear
Victory, for Bush, will be when Bush leaves office and leaves it up to the new democratic government to figure out how to get us out of Iraq.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:50 am
nimh wrote:
fjf1329 wrote:

and if britain, france and germany jump off a bridge, should we do it too?
0 Replies

AziMythe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 01:37 am
The "best intelligence"
is predicated upon first choosing what you want to prove.

Only then is it possible to judge "best" from "worst", to pick and choose according to your mission.

For other people, this may be called the "worst ignorance",
but what they think doesn't matter because their mission does not coincide with the established one.
No sense quibbling about the facts until it's actually politically necessary (ie. never).
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 09:12 am
Don't forget the Downing Street Memo. Our top officials said that, even though evidence of WMD, etc., were, at best, questionable, the US has decided to invade.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:14 pm
I think we should only involve ourselfs as long as it is our best interests. If we get nothing out of it then forget it. To get nothing out of fighting but a pat on the back is almost worthless. Bosnia and Hati were worthless fights, in fact we are still in the Bosnia area and don't have anything to show for it except that more soldiers are away from their families.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 05:35 pm
Even Afghanistan was a huge mistake, which is increasingly costing us. Of course we had to invade to get at al-Qaida, but we should have focused on it and left the Taliban alone, if able. Now, we are getting picked off, reminiscent of what happened to the Ruskies.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:13 pm
We should be involved wherever our interests are at risk or may be advanced: Afghanistan and Iraq for example.

We should also be involved wherever suffering people need our help.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 08:01 am
What type of involvement do you have in mind? I would prefer our involvement to be economic, artistic, athletic, etc., other than militarily.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:46 am
Advocate wrote:
What type of involvement do you have in mind? I would prefer our involvement to be economic, artistic, athletic, etc., other than militarily.

So,you believe that the US Navy should not have provided relief supplies,fresh water,food,and medical supplies to the survivors of the tsunami a few years ago,just because there is a civil war going on in one of the countries involved?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:11 am
Afghanistan made sense, because our national security was very obviously threatened by al Qaeda, and the Taliban government gave them safe haven. There is no national interest in Iraq. They were not a threat to our security, and the oil that is there is only the interest of a tiny minority of our nation, which is to say those in the energy industry who profit from it. Not only was the invasion intended to serve their interest, it was also managed so that it served the interest of contracting corporations such as Halliburton (of which Cheney had formerly been the CEO) and Bechtel. However, the administration has shown itself to be a loose canon, and unable either to prevent theft by the contractors who have profited from the invasion, nor even to secure the nation of Iraq so that the special interests can profit from the oil. All of this has been at the expense of American lives and the tax dollars of the public, who have been sold a bill of goods.

So many conservatives spout pious crap about an humanitarian mission and a mission to bring democracy to Iraq. But the Shrub and company long ignored the real security threat to our interests which was posed by North Korea, and have only grudging and not credibly acted to deal with that threat. They have long ignored the humanitarian crisis in the Sudan, which not only has the very visible human disaster of Darfur, but which has been involved in a civil war in the south for more than 25 years, and one in which the usual cruelties of civil war and insurrection have been exacerbated by a lively slave trade; originally intended to finance the opposing militias there, it has become an end in itself.

If, as Finn's post suggests, Iraq is a national interest, then one need ask why. Because of their oil? Saudi Arabia has lager reserves of the most valuable grade of petroleum, and also is the home of virulent fundamentalist Islamic terror groups. Because of democracy? Saudi Arabia is not a democracy, it is a monarchy, and the abuse of women is institutionalized to the extent that women are not allowed to drive, and cannot travel alone, nor even travel from their homes without the express permission of whatever adult male controls their household.

I know of no contentions about national security or national interests which will not sink conservatives in a mire of hypocrisy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:39 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/Beat_Dead_HorseSanitysBlog.jpg
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 06:25 am
Setanta wrote:
Afghanistan made sense, because our national security was very obviously threatened by al Qaeda, and the Taliban government gave them safe haven. There is no national interest in Iraq. They were not a threat to our security, and the oil that is there is only the interest of a tiny minority of our nation, which is to say those in the energy industry who profit from it. Not only was the invasion intended to serve their interest, it was also managed so that it served the interest of contracting corporations such as Halliburton (of which Cheney had formerly been the CEO) and Bechtel. However, the administration has shown itself to be a loose canon, and unable either to prevent theft by the contractors who have profited from the invasion, nor even to secure the nation of Iraq so that the special interests can profit from the oil. All of this has been at the expense of American lives and the tax dollars of the public, who have been sold a bill of goods.

So many conservatives spout pious crap about an humanitarian mission and a mission to bring democracy to Iraq. But the Shrub and company long ignored the real security threat to our interests which was posed by North Korea, and have only grudging and not credibly acted to deal with that threat. They have long ignored the humanitarian crisis in the Sudan, which not only has the very visible human disaster of Darfur, but which has been involved in a civil war in the south for more than 25 years, and one in which the usual cruelties of civil war and insurrection have been exacerbated by a lively slave trade; originally intended to finance the opposing militias there, it has become an end in itself.

If, as Finn's post suggests, Iraq is a national interest, then one need ask why. Because of their oil? Saudi Arabia has lager reserves of the most valuable grade of petroleum, and also is the home of virulent fundamentalist Islamic terror groups. Because of democracy? Saudi Arabia is not a democracy, it is a monarchy, and the abuse of women is institutionalized to the extent that women are not allowed to drive, and cannot travel alone, nor even travel from their homes without the express permission of whatever adult male controls their household.

I know of no contentions about national security or national interests which will not sink conservatives in a mire of hypocrisy.

The truth is that Saudi Arabia is neither a Democracy nor a Monarchy; it is a Dictatorship and an ally of the US simply because America needs their oil.

As for North Korea, and for that matter, Iraq, Iran and Syria … They are no threat to the US nor Israel, they do not have Nuclear weapons and even if North Korea was nuclear capable they haven't got the means to deliver such a weapon to the US.
Historic fact would tell you if any country really posed a threat to America or Israel they would be vaporised; during the Cuban crisis the US was prepared to start a nuclear war in spite of the fact they had never consulted with their allies.

Why is the US allied to Pakistan which is not only a dictatorship but also a nuclear power that is not signatory to the non-proliferation treaty, it is also the home of many Islamic fundamentalists and terror groups; why is the US driving the fighting in Afghanistan, why are young American's dying in Afghanistan?
It is because of Caspian Sea oil which cannot come through Iran for an obvious reason, therefore any pipeline to serve America's need would have to come through Afghanistan to a port in Pakistan and the US wants that oil.

This present US Administration doesn't give a damn about the rest of the world but they should heed the old cliché, "No man is an island."
0 Replies