Can i use the word "dude" to refer a girl

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:07 pm
Is it appropriate to say " hi dude" to a girl?
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 20,503 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:11 pm
Personally, I wouldn't want to be called dude, even if I was much younger.

If a guy knew me pretty well, I wouldn't mind "dudette" in a joking way.

Calling a girl dude is negating her femininity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:13 pm
"Dude" usually is masculine. That is, it's almost never used to refer to women/ girls.

That does seem to be changing a bit though as it's thoroughly absorbed into English. It seems to be closing in on the meaning and usage of "guy." Like, if I said to a group of women, "Hey guys, where do you want to eat?" that would be appropriate.

I wouldn't really address an individual woman/ girl with "Hi, guy," though, nor would I use "Hi, dude."

There's a sort of ironic usage of "dude" for women that I've noticed, though. Like, a male friend might say to me, "Dude, you HAVE to see that movie!"
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:28 pm
Thanks a lot, uhhhhhhhhhhh, how should i call you?
not dude, Pal?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:30 pm
I don't think you have to add anything to your "hi." Just "hi," or "hi there," or "hello," or "what's up?" Stuff like that.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:31 pm
Re: Can i use the word "dude" to refer a girl
Neoquixote wrote:
Is it appropriate to say " hi dude" to a girl?
Thanks

No more appropriate than saying "hey girl" to a guy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:33 pm
Neoquixote wrote:
Thanks a lot, uhhhhhhhhhhh, how should i call you?
not dude, Pal?

"Woman" is the best way to address a female friend.

"Hello woman," or "woman, get me a cold beverage."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:35 pm
To be honest, no one calls anyone "pal" that's from another generation.

I'd stay with just "hi" also, or "hi, how you doing?" That's less formal than saying "hi, how ARE you doing?" while the first isn't grammatically correct, it's OK for casual use, like if you seeing someone you already know.

For meeting a new person, especially a girl, you can't go wrong with a smile, good eye contact and a "hello, it's nice to meet you."

What would YOU say to a girl in China when you see her?

Let's exchange information and customs.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:36 pm
BTW, don't EVER listen to Slappy Doo Hoo unless you want to get your face slapped by a girl.

Slappy, I always thought you were a "go knit me a sweater" type.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:47 pm
Chai wrote:
BTW, don't EVER listen to Slappy Doo Hoo unless you want to get your face slapped by a girl.

Or if you just want to be worshipped by all with a vagina(if I keep telling myself this, it is true).

"Knit me a sweater" may not be a bad one. Keep her occupied for a lot longer than opening a beer.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:48 pm
Chai wrote:
To be honest, no one calls anyone "pal" that's from another generation.

I'd stay with just "hi" also, or "hi, how you doing?" That's less formal than saying "hi, how ARE you doing?" while the first isn't grammatically correct, it's OK for casual use, like if you seeing someone you already know.

For meeting a new person, especially a girl, you can't go wrong with a smile, good eye contact and a "hello, it's nice to meet you."

What would YOU say to a girl in China when you see her?

Let's exchange information and customs.

We don't have a common form like " how are you?", " What's going on?" when we run into each other. The way to say hello varies a lot depending on the situation.
To a person that you have not seen for a long time, we say( in Chinese): How are you doing recently?
If you can meet a person very often, you can say " where are you going?" " did you just come back from work?" or " Have you just finish your dinner?" and so on
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:00 pm
ohhhh....so you more address someone specifically about what they are doing right now!

Here, saying "How are you" or "What's going on" etc, is really more of a retorical question, not really needing a thought out answer.

If a friend said to me "hi, what's going on" to me, without thinking I probably would just say "hi" in return. The other person wasn't really expecting an answer, it's just a greeting.

you know, that explains a lot. I've noticed in novels I've read where it's set in China, charaters will ask someone they've run into a question like "how was your afternoon?" or "are you on your way to the movies now?"

How long have you been in this country neo-q?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:04 pm
BTW Slappy, the entire phrase is...

"If some sissy chick tried to kick my @ss I would say hey, missy, go knit me a sweater before I slap you in the face!" -- Cartman

Just as good...

"I would never let a woman kick my @ss. If she tried something, I'd be like, HEY! You get your b*tch @ss back in the kitchen and make me some pie!" -- Cartman
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:11 pm
Is that the horrible child from South Park?
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:23 pm
Chai wrote:
ohhhh....so you more address someone specifically about what they are doing right now!

Here, saying "How are you" or "What's going on" etc, is really more of a retorical question, not really needing a thought out answer.

If a friend said to me "hi, what's going on" to me, without thinking I probably would just say "hi" in return. The other person wasn't really expecting an answer, it's just a greeting.

you know, that explains a lot. I've noticed in novels I've read where it's set in China, charaters will ask someone they've run into a question like "how was your afternoon?" or "are you on your way to the movies now?"

Yes, there are a lot of difference between cultures.
But today, in China, especially in big cities, young people are becoming more and more westenlized in daily life. This can be seen in the change of ways of greeting.

I have been here for 20 monthes.
I am graduate student in KU, studying biology.

0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:24 pm
I like south park.
Neoquixote wrote:
Chai wrote:

Yes, there are a lot of difference between cultures.
But today, in China, especially in big cities, young people are becoming more and more westenlized in daily life. This can be seen in the change of ways of greeting.

I have been here for 20 monthes.
I am graduate student in KU, studying biology.

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:27 pm
Of course you do. I don't know a young person who doesn't like South Park.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:31 pm
We call someone very specifically too.
for example,
usually, I can a male friend of my parents senior/junior uncle according to his ages relative to my parents, and female aunt...
I call the children of my parents' friends little sister/brother, older sister/brother according their ages relative to mine.
I call the students in school "classmate" if i don't know their names.
I can go up to a girl on campus and say " hi, classmate, can you help me to solve this math question?"
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:52 pm
but as Chai said of "Pal', things change and some of them belong to last generation.
Young women like to be calls " beauty" or "big beauty" no matter if they are really beautiful in fact(personally, I regard all women as beauty because I am a relativismist, but quit a lot others don't agree with me), as an exchange, they like calling a young man "handsome boy" or " big handsome boy".
In business, people call a person with his/her professional position/
for example Mr Fog is a CEO of a company, people call him CEO Fog;
If Miss Wilson is a major, people call her MAJOR Wilson.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:57 pm
Chai wrote:

BTW, what is a 'go to knit me a sweater type.
Thanks
0 Replies