Your ideal marriage venue

sumac

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 04:19 pm
Cleo looks fabulous. But where are the kitties? They surely must be there as well.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 04:32 pm
Marriage?

It would have to be in the greatest cathedral with the highest music,
the greatest beauty, strength, endurance, health and balance found on Earth.

In a field of dreams standing in the ever-growing, waving grass,
surrounded by trees, earth, a stream, the wind and the sun,
all of nature, the plants and animals,
singing our vows to the entire world
under the grand auspices of the stars, sun, moon, and the sky.

Dreams, you know?
It's only just a dream.

Marriage is the best fantasy we have.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 04:51 pm
hmmmmmm, you've just made me reminded me that a wedding and a marriage are not the same thing. but the key, i think, is to begin, as you mean to go on. and i mean to go on in a relaxed, comfortable happy way. so, no big, dramatic wedding in a cathedral. no poofy dresses and silly ties. large hats however will be encouraged. as will dogs and lots of walks in the fresh air. Very Happy
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 04:57 pm
Values.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 05:27 pm
Okay..I came in initially to say...a good marriage would make a nice venue for like life and that encompasses...I think I was basically beat to the punch but, still..think it needs to be said.

A wedding place? Well..gotta agree with some of the thoughts here...and I like EhBeths idea the most but, a private Yosemite has quite the appeal as well. No silly dresses, fancy party...just a big gathering of souls for a nice day...and the ceremony I dont know...prolly private or off to the side or something..no need for all that posh, its not what its all about.

I however would be one of those who would be on another go around so, I guess that changes things/thoughts and all of that. Those that are young and just starting out, well you know they can do all the big stuff if they want or think its what they want Smile

And as far as the big idol to be invited....well, I dont think I could pick one but, the thought of Sean Connery is a nice one.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:22 pm
There Will Come Soft Rains

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

-- Sara Teasdale

And that, my friends, is where I would love to embrace the marriage of true minds.

Goodnight, John of England and all the lovely folks here on A2K....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:20 pm
just listening to a fab version of this, and thought of letty and this thread -

I'm as restless as a willow in a windstorm
I'm as jumpy as a puppet on a string
I'd say that I had Spring fever
But I know it isn't Spring

I am starry-eyed and vaguely discontented
Like a nightingale without a song to sing
Oh, why should I have Spring fever
When it isn't even Spring?

I keep wishing I were somewhere else
Walking down a strange new street
Hearing words that I have never heard
>From a girl I've yet to meet

I'm as busy as a spider spinning daydreams
I'm as giddy as a baby on a swing
I haven't seen a crocus or a rosebud or a robin on the wing
But I feel so gay in a melancholy way
That it might as well be Spring

It might as well be Spring
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:09 am
One of very favorite songs, ehBeth. Thank you for reminding me. Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:46 am
Nice song for a wedding, eh? :wink:
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 09:03 am
My ideal wedding venue would be to have the world of Humans and their possestions / creations shrunk down to1/8th their current size.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:23 am
http://www.mauilaniweddings.com/images/keokea-view02-189j.jpg

This is almost exactly the marriage venue we had and it was great. We were in someone's private gardens on the south side of Kula on the slopes of Haleakala, far away from everything. That's a view west towards Kahoolawe and the Kaanapali side of Maui. Our wedding was in the morning... I think with that kind of view, a sunset might be nicer, even though the sun would be in our eyes. For wedding music, I'd have, as then, birds singing all around us. If I had to pick a famous person as a guest, I'd ask a famous artist like John Singer Sargent (yeah, I know he's no longer among the living...) who could do both portraits and beautiful landscapes, hoping that as a wedding present he'd give us a nice painting of the moment.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:44 am
White Wedding"

Hey little sister what have you done
Hey little sister who's the only one
Hey little sister who's your superman
Hey little sister who's the one you want
Hey little sister shot gun!

It's a nice day to start again
It's a nice day for a white wedding
It's a nice day to start again.

Hey little sister what have you done
Hey little sister who's the only one
I've been away for so long (so long)
I've been away for so long (so long)
I let you go for so long

It's a nice day to start again (come on)

(Pick it up)

Take me back home
There is nothin' fair in this world
There is nothin' safe in this world
And there's nothin' sure in this world
And there's nothin' pure in this world
Look for something left in this world
Start again
Come on

It's a nice day to start again
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:01 am
If my wife were asked this the answer would be "In a stall or the back end of a horse trailer."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:16 am
Hmm...we paid for our own wedding, and I still wouldn't trade in the venue for another. We were married in a public park that looks like a private garden, with emmucalte rose gardens and incredible foliage. Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens. There is even a stone staircase which is wonderful. Our wedding day was the only clear, sunny day in July, 1998. The family was freaking out about it being outdoors, as it had poured every day that whole month. Then, our day, the heavens rained sunshine and heat on everyone. Next day, it rained. Go figure.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:25 am
Maybe this is a good place to mention something I've noticed. I've been looking at a lot of websites on Scotland and nearly every one has information about getting married in Scotland. Now, I've never noticed that particularly in Spain, or England, or Italy, or France, or Germany. Is there something I'm missing here? Even one of my sisters has made noises about wanting to be married "in a castle in Scotland."

Are there some countries that seem to be a wedding "draw"? Anybody know why? In the US, both Nevada and Hawaii have short waiting periods, so they tend to draw a lot of out-of-town weddings. But Scotland??? What gives? Just wondering.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:40 am
As I recall, Scotland was where people from England went when they were in a bit of a rush to get married. Something to do with fewer requirements. I first read that in a Georgette Heyer historical romance over 30 years ago - learned that it was the truth a decade later. Getting married in Scotland wasn't about the location, it was that they'd do it fast and not ask too many questions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:43 am
Quote:
Legalities
In days gone by the law was such that in Scotland couples over the age of sixteen could marry (without parental consent) simply by declaring themselves man and wife in front of witnesses. However in 1940 an Act of Parliament ruled that marriages were only legal if conducted by a Minister of Religion or an authorised registrar.

Current law:
Prior residence in Scotland is not a pre-requisite to marriage minimum age remains sixteen both parties must be free to marry (ie any previous marriage must have been terminated by divorce, death or annulment) they must not be related to each other in any way which may impede them from marrying. Details of forbidden degrees of relationship are listed in the leaflet RM1 (Marriage in Scotland) which is available from any registrar of births, deaths and marriages in Scotland or from the Registrar General in Edinburgh (address page 4) both parties must be capable of understanding the nature of the ceremony and of giving free consent. The marriage would be regarded as valid in any foreign country to which either party belongs

0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:12 pm
Oh, that's interesting, thanks Beth! Can you imagine getting married just by announcing it to witnesses? Kind of cool, really!

From what I've read, many people want to go to Scotland for a fairy-tale wedding, castle and all. There are people ready to rent you a castle for you and all your wedding guests, a gown, kilts, bagpipers and all the rest. One-stop shopping!

When Scotland opened up all the privately-held lands for walking earlier this year, one of the big opponents was from wedding-venue owners who said that privacy of their guests during their wedding ceremonies would be threatened. I'm not sure how it was resolved.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:28 pm
On the Jerry Springer show. After getting into a fistfight with my fiance's brother for finding out he's been sleeping with my mother and father, the ceremony would continue.

The wedding song: "She Bangs" by Ricky Martin.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:54 pm
Better hurry, slappy. Jerry Springer is about to file for the U.S. Senate this Friday, and then you'll have to have a respectable wedding. Razz
0 Replies