Rainforest Thread #78 -- Is April cruel?

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:34 am
April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Those are T.S. Eliot's opening lines to his poem The Wasteland as most of you, undoubtedly, know.

The folks on this thread don't necessarily buy the premise that April is so terribly cruel. We are a group of concerned citizens of the Planet Earth who delight in the sight of lilacs blooming in the dooryard (to misquote another poet, Whitman) and who are mightily concerned about what is happening to the rain forests of our home planet. If you share our concerns, you can help. By the simple expedient of clicking daily at the Care2 site, you can do your bit in helping preserve oe of the great natural treasures in the world.

We are the aktbird57 team in Race for the Rainforest, and we are the number ONE team in the world!

Please help! Go to the Race for the Rain Forest at Care2.com. Just click on a button and somewhere in the world, you'll save a lot of square feet of rain forest, prairie, or wetlands, -- you choose! Corporate sponsors show their logos when you click, and in return, they pay for the habitat saved.

Just click: http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=856730509

To register for the first time, create your own Distinct Log-in name and Password. Then each time you visit the site to click you simply Log-in and click on the Rainforest button. It's that simple. The site is FREE. If you have a question, we have plenty of answers. FREE.

More Eliot:

What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
Out of this stony rubbish?

Let's get rid of the rubbish and concentrate on helping those roots and branches.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,716 • Replies: 386
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:38 am
I have always wondered how this works. And IF this works.

I mean, it has been going on for a long time now... lets say.. a year.
And every month, the number of clicks is about 2,000.

And each click saves 7.5 acres.
So that makes 15, 000 acres a year.

Add in other services who claim some what of the same thing ( donations of a certain amount equal saving some acres )

Add it all up and we should be seeing MOST of the rainforest 'saved' and not chopped down.........by now.......... Right?

But yet, it is more of a threat now then ever before.

Besides visiting this site, what else can one do?
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:25 am
shewolf - I think you should click just once = click this

http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=856730509

You don't have to join - unless you want to.

Before you click the Rain Forest icon - look towards the bottom of the page and you will see the sponsor = The Nature Concervancy. If you are interested, click that link and read about what we are doing. If not, just click the Rain Forest icon and you will see the actual square footage we are trying to save each day. Your figures are incorrect.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:30 am
Merry Andrew,

I speak for myself - Jeeze, this is one hell of a good thread you started....... Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:05 am
shewolfnm wrote:
And each click saves 7.5 acres.

It actually takes thousands of clicks to get to 7.5 acres.

My subteam of the Aktbird's has about 2500 clicks in it - we're somewhat over 2 acres.

The donors donate very small amounts of money toward the particular agencies for each click.

~~~~

Great new thread, Merriest of Andrews. Hope you're dry!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:44 am
ehBeth wrote:
~~~

Great new thread, Merriest of Andrews. Hope you're dry!

I've been off the sauce for nearly a dozen years now, I'll have you know.

Oh...you mean the weather... Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:05 pm
Great new thread, Merry of the Andrews!

Fav April Poems....

The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
You know how it is with an April day.
When the sun is out and the wind is still,
You're one month on in the middle of May.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
a cloud come over the sunlit arch,
And wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you're two months back in the middle of March.

- Robert Frost

Just sitting quietly, doing nothing,
Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
- Zenrin poem

Gardening equipment at the ready...spark plugs new and shiney....mower fuel w/stabalizer - 6.0 a hummin'... amonia sufate measured true...lawn moths are a bummin'...weeds is gonein'...

Kittens preenin'... suns a shinin'...

- Stradee
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:14 pm
I was not using the numbers in my post as 'acurate'. Im sorry it sounded that way.I was just posing a question.

I click these quite often, I just wondered how much of it was actually making a diffrence..
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 03:07 pm
Loooove your new thread, Merriest of the Merry.

Waayy Cool Cool Cool Cool .

ww
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:03 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 300 friends have supported 2,730,777.5 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 159,202.0 square feet.

American Prairie habitat supported: 59,483.0 square feet.

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,512,092.5 square feet.

~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1784 62.686 acres

~~~~~~~

Little April Shower (music behind the link)

Drip, drip, drop
Little April shower
Beating a tune
As you fall all around

Drip, drip, drop
Little April shower
What can compare
To your beautiful sound

Drip, drip, drop
When the sky is cloudy
Your pretty music
Can brighten the day

Drip, drip, drop
When the sun says howdy
You say goodbye right away

Drip, drip drop
Little April shower
Beating a tune
Ev'rywhere that you fall

Drip, drip drop
Little April shower
I'm getting wet
And I don't care at all

Drip, drop, drip, drop
I'll never be afraid
Of a good little
Gay little
April serenade
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:47 pm
shewolfnm, Welcome to the Wildclickers!!! That's what we call ourselves because we think together that we are making a tiny difference between life and death in those parts of the world that actually have Rain Forests. That includes climates as diverse as above the Tropic of Cancer - even in ALASKA of all places and so divergent as below the Tropic of Capricorn.......That means that each and every square foot of land that we can freely click for means - as an advertising touch from companies that care for Nature and our planets future - are actually paying for little pieces of our future. That's pretty simple.

The Nature Conservancy can easily be checked for authenticity - in seconds, on Google - if you care to.

We would welcome you with open arms as a member - if you care to register........ Very Happy

Anyway, thank you for your interest and for the free click you must have done to give the above answer. Thanks
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:59 pm
APRIL - 2007 - N.E. USA

"Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost must have been anticipating the Spring? of 2007...... Shocked
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:07 pm
I almost forgot to thank Ul for helping me write the intro to this thread. Those of you who are very perceptive (and that's virtually all of you) may have noticed that a part of it is a shameless cut-and-paste job. Thanx, Ul.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:11 pm
Oh, by the way - outside of the poetic stuff - (Which most of it I like, especially Burns) - I recently, like two days ago, bought a 22" plasma monitor, thinking that with my eyesight going the way to hell, I could see more clearly. Weellll, it worked,,,!!! Everything in bigger...!!!

However, my eyes STILL have to be the same distance from the screen to see clearly - even with my "quote" "unquote" readers......... Shocked

So, I'm wondering why didn't APRIL FOOL'S DAY include that tiny fact???

OH, I must have been OFF a few days..... :wink:
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:20 pm
OMG, Merry Andrew,

I thought everyone noticed that I casually copied and pasted everything everyone else actually wrote......

Isn't that just a fact of life??

------------

We have to start a sort of special club for our kind........ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Remember the "Are You a Turtle" club???

Now that was funny...... It was about the time that the TV show 'Laugh In' started.....

I actually joined and said, - in answer - "You bet your sweet ass I am."

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:27 pm
the title of this thread caused the most marvellous flashback ... all the way to ...

this ... Cruel Tears ... featuring Humphrey and the Dumptrucks ...

there may be some Humphrey and the Dumptrucks 8-tracks still hiding out in a trunk in the hamburgers' basement

A country and western Othello. Oh my.

I was meant to work with truck drivers.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:28 pm
I remember, Dan. I'm a turtle, too. Was initiated into the club by an old university buddy who had just returned from his first crossing of the Equator as second officer aboard a USN oceanographic ship. You're right: that is the only acceptable answer to the question, "Are you a turtle?"
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:39 am
So many wonderful words, how can a poor girl choose?

I just have to say that the Frost poem, takes me back to my first fortuitous encounter with rhythm and rhyme in my early teens.

Thanks to the 'wild bunch' for dressing up April in so many pretty things. You have great taste and she wears them well.

To my friends who are still in sweaters and Wellies-- I'm so sorry, I saw California Poppies blooming in the sun today-- and felt a little guilty.

ww xo click, click.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 05:15 am
No need to feel guilty, Wordy. The magnolias on my street here in the City of Brotherly Beans are begining to bud out and it looks like they might be open by week's end.

I have clicked.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 08:33 am
shewolf, welcome to the rainforest thread! Very Happy

We're a group of who we call the 'wildclickers' and work with many orgs that contribute time and money for preservation of the plantet. The Nature Conservancy site will explain the hows and whys of purchasing wildlands and crucial wildlife habitat, plus.

Does clicking for the rainforest each day make a difference for preservation? Yep Very Happy

all clicked
0 Replies