THE VEXED QUESTION OF RELIGION

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 06:45 pm
hbg, I was a traveling auditor for Florsheim Shoe Company during that same period, and we were allowed to stay in any hotel we wished, and we always traveled alone. Boy, did I get spoiled, but eating dinner by myself got old real fast. Used to go out for drinks with the store managers after work, so my lungs are probably paying dearly for all that boozing. c.i.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 07:48 pm
c.i. : YOU GAVE YOUR SECRET AWAY ! AUDITOR ??? i thought i was the only one in the universe. after i got tired of all the late night calls when i was manager of computer operations, i kind of pushed my way into the position as the company auditor - i had my papers as a certified general accoutant and that did help. never had to do much branch auditing; but enjoyed taking in some of the conventions of the institute of internal auditors(and i took my wife along; so it was always a bit of a vacation. the last one i attended was in 1985 at GROSSINGERS, one of the old jewish resorts in the adirondacks. boy what a life! i don't miss my job, but wouldn't mind attending the odd convention at company expense. gave us the chance to see a bit of america : miami beach, new york city twice, quebec city, philadelphia, atlantic city, malaga/spain.... i'm beginning to drool....better stop). hbg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 08:01 pm
hamburger- Adirondacks??? Nah! Grossingers was in the CATSKILLS!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 01:57 pm
phoenix : right you are, of course! i guesswhen you are on the canadian side one thinks it's all the same. should have just said new york state and wouldn't have looked like a fool! hbg ........ grossingers was a wonderful place; a bit down at the heels but classy and great food (herrings for breakfast, what more could i ask for?). ESS, ESS, MEIN KIND !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:07 pm
Ah, eat, eat my child--yes eating is a pleasure which almost never deserts us.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:15 pm
setanta : i still have the SPEISEKARTEN or is that MENU(?) from grossingers and some other good eating places; shows you how much i appreciate good food. you might not have liked it : NO BACON ! the (real) american guests (auditors) were almost going crazy and threatened to bring in bacon sandwiches from the village coffee-shop ! this in turn made the grossinger staff pretty nervous because they were stricktly kosher : separate kitchens and dinnerware for the meat dishes with junior rabbis(they had a special name which i forgot) GUARDING the kitchen entrances to ensure used dishes would not wind up in the wrong kitchen. hbg .. with all this talk of the PURITY of french and other languages in another thread i'm getting all confused ! perhaps i should use the hamburg dialect of the low-german, it has plenty of french in it !
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 09:36 am
Those of you who haven't been introduced to Elain Pagels ought to be. This is a quite extraordinary piece and makes a number of the points which I earlier tried to make, but didn't do a very good job of it.

Quote:
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/pagels03/pagels_index.html
0 Replies