THE VEXED QUESTION OF RELIGION

Ethel2

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 10:54 pm
Haxlett,

Praise the Lord and pass the communion wine.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 10:57 pm
Fresco,

And of course, my answer to that question is that it wasn't God at all.........but rather the people involved and the mechinism of group psychology, but I do understand what you're saying.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 05:02 am
A distinction needs to be made here between religion and spirituality. What Snood refers to is spirituality, in fact, in that he is referring to those who seek to fulfill a personal need. Religion is the codification of that spirituality, and it leads inevitably to the attempt at imposition of that "code" on others. At the beginning of The Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan, the protagonist, not yet identified as Christian, runs breathless to his community of peers to tell them of the wonderful new truth he has found, which he knows to be true because he has read it in a book. The power of the printed word was enormous in a world as yet little use to the powerful change from being almost "bookless" to the proliferation of ideas entailed in the explosive dawn of the information age. He quickly becomes disgusted when those about him show insufficient interest, and sets out upon his journey to the Heavenly City, the New Jerusalem. Bunyan subtitles his book: In the Similitude of a Dream, and then quotes Hosea, "I have used similitudes," to authorize his text, as it was already well-established among those of strict moral and religious rectitude that books could produce powerful lies, as well as powerful doses of the "truth." What is significant for me in the opening passage, is how Christian becomes angry at the lack of interest displayed in his dogma, and, having made common cause with Faithful for the journey, they both are soon enmired in The Slough of Despond. It is their desparate yearning to be a part of community--a very human trait--but they are so worked upon by their new dogma, that they wish to drag their former community with them into their, to their eyes, beautiful new world, rather than accept that the members of their old community should be as they were, and "unenlightened."

Blatham is wrong to conflate spirituality with religion. Spirituality is a personal experience, for which a belief in a deity may serve, or poetry, or love, if he will. But religion is a different need altogether. For the religious, the deity as explanation for the world is insufficient--in a very human activity of imposing definition on the world about us, the religious codify that spiritual experience into dogma, and immediately seek to impose it on others. I fully well acknowledge that sprituality is the province of many, or of all of us. The making of religion, and the drive thereafter for its imposition as the supreme understanding, is the object of the few, who use the promise of life everlasting (carrot) and eternal torment (stick) to enforce the dogma. Given sufficient suckers--excuse me--adherents, then fire and sword in this world will do the trick nicely for them. Snood in his desire for a quenching of spiritual thirst represents that very ordinary and understandable expression of human nature. Pat Robertson in hiw will to power represents that worst of threats, which is both real and proximate.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 05:15 am
Setanta.

I for one would agree with your distinction between religion and spirituality, but if you read snood's post where he compares "religion" with "the army" his analogy implies he means codified or organized religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 05:21 am
Yes, Fresco, i recognize his expressed need for a community of belief--that is an affirmation humans commonly seek, and one which the demagogue exploits. However, i would say that the Army fulfills his need for community and order, and the his adherence to religion arises from a need to express the spiritual part of his nature.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 05:25 am
Let me clear that small thing up - I was saying that I know of individuals on whom religion has had an overall positive influence. I was making that observation to contradict the idea, raised on this thread, that religion had wrought no good at all. I was not attempting to address the difference between the collective good and individual benefit. In general I don't pretend to know what things do and do not translate directly from individual to universal benefit - to me a more amorphous concept than seems to be the consensus.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 05:31 am
I would like to say at this point, Snood, that i am made uncomfortable by discussing you as though you were some sort of interesting case study, and no more--and in fact, precisely because we none of us here know precisely what your beliefs are and what lead you to them. For my part, i have taken what you've written as a starting point for heads of discussion. Your point about that which does nor does not "translate directly from individual to universal benefit" is very well taken. My personal take is that it is an abuse of the benefit the individual derives from spiritual fulfillment to codify such experiences into a dogmatic religion, the better with which to enforce conformity. As a matter of belief in public policy, i hold that no constraint beyond that which can be shown to be necessary for the practical functioning of the social contract is to be allowed, and therefore, that the imposition of any "morality" or ritual practice from religion is inimical to good public order.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:01 am
Setanta, while I certainly recognize the difference between spirituality and religion as you define both the concepts and assign the concepts to the words, I also think that we need to recognize that these words are used by millions of people, and that it is frequently impossible to know how the word is being used except by paying close attention to the context. Sometimes, I think the word religion might properly be used to include both what you call religion and what you call spirituality. In our tight little thread, here, we can easily adapt to your definitions, which I like, but in the larger society I don't think they are going to apply, and certainly not for all people.

A minor point, but I thought I'd make it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:54 am
A point worth making, Hazlitt. I wasn't attempting to impose a definition, i just found it useful to point to the difference between individual and organization.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 01:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
Scrat, you've simply restated an opinion, without providing any supporting evidence that your contention has historical antecedants, that there is a textual basis for your interpretation. That is what i'm asking for, and that is why i began with those quotes, to support my argument by reference to the antecedants for this point of view. As for the contention that government ought not to go into "the business of welfare and charity," i'd like to know what you think the expression "promote the general welfare" from the preamble to the Constitution is supposed to mean. No, i retract that, i don't want to read your exegesis, likely to be tortured, to explain that away. Given that there is no constitutional prohibition upon such works of public charity, if the people vote for it, or vote for those who establish such programs, then the objection looks a great deal to me like quibbling with reality.

See, Setanta, this is why our discussions always devolve into combat. You can't disagree with courtesy, and you attempt to knock down my responses before I can even make them.

Hamilton and Madison wrote EXPLICITLY that "promote the general welfare" meant only through the use of those powers enumerated in the Constitution. (That's an easy one.) Sadly, just as with this issue of religion, you want to pretend that their words meant something they did not, or meant nothing at all. You challenge me to support my point of view, but immediately toss aside anything I offer to do so.

I cited a quote above, yet you pretend I did not, and complain that I don't cite quotes. I respond to you point by point and you complain that I ignore your points and don't respond. What is a reasonable person to do in the face of such irrationality?

As I wrote before, I see nothing in the quotes you offered with which I disagree. I would offer many of them to support my position here. Our problem is not solved by stacking up quotes to see who has the bigger pile if we disagree on what those quotes tell us. You use the phrase "separation of church and state" in a modern sense, in which it is taken to mean a complete separation of the state from any dealings with anything relating to any religion. I take it in its original, historic meaning--AS I UNDERSTAND IT--that of calling for keeping government from establishing a specific religion. I understand that I am out of step with most in this regard, and I'm okay with that.

In his "Rights of Man, Thomas Paine wrote in rebuke of Burke's call for an association between church and state with these words:

Quote:
All religions are in their nature mild and benign, and united with principles of morality. They could not have made proselytes at first, by professing anything that was vicious, cruel, persecuting or immoral. Like every thing else, they had their beginning; and they proceeded by persuasion, exhortation, and example. How then is it that they lose their native mildness, and become morose and intolerant?

It proceeds from the connection which Mr. Burke recommends. By engendering the church with the state, a sort of mule-animal, capable only of destroying, and not of breeding up, is produced, called, The Church established by Law. It is a stranger, even from its birth to any parent mother on which it is begotten, and whom in time it kicks out and destroys.

As I have written before in this discussion and others, it is this mule-animal the 1st amendment seeks to avoid bringing to life in America. The notion that the 1st amendment guarantees us freedom of religion and then instructs government to ostracize religion simply seems to me absurd.

====================

Hazlitt wrote:
Scrat, you present a real challenge to anyone who wishes to argue with you in as much as you insist that text means something that it obviously does not. In all honesty, I can only conclude that you are espousing a novel and recently contrived interpretation of the first amendment.

Also, it seems clearly obvious that the religious right organizations lining up to get federal dollars so that they can do secular work are clearly not interested in a purely secular program. Why else would they insist that all their programs be staffed with adherents of their own religion. This can only be because they want to set forth "the one true" religious message, which is their own message. I see this as the establishment of a religion on the part of the government.

I read recently that prisoners in the federal penitentiaries in Illinois who agreed to under go the Charles Coleson, salvation oriented, program of reform, were given several important perks as a reward. These were perks unavailable to other prisoners. Of course, prisoners were flocking to the program eager to get the perks. Is this not the establishment of a religion by the federal government, and is it not showing favoritism based on religion? It's part of the Bush faith based money for religion program.

First you claim that I insist that text means something it does not, but you do not take time to explain how you think this is so, leaving me no way to argue the point. Next, you offer comments that suggest you have no real knowledge of the faith-based initiatives--what groups are actually receiving funds, what they are doing with those funds. You seem to start from the assumption that religion is bad and form your opinions from there. (I start from the assumption that any company awarded a contract will either do the work or catch hell, and don't care whether they are allied with a faith or are not.) Lastly, you make statements about Chuck Colson's prison ministries, but leave out every piece of information that would make the citation meaningful: Is government paying for those ministries, or private money? Are the perks you mention paid for with tax money or private money? Are other programs not allowed in prisons because they are not of the "right" religion? These are questions that--if answered--would show us whether you had a valid complaint, or do not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 02:30 pm
I am such a bad man . . . why do i bother . . .

Rolling Eyes

I've never seen your alleged quote . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 02:37 pm
Scrat wrote:
Hamilton and Madison wrote EXPLICITLY that "promote the general welfare" meant only through the use of those powers enumerated in the Constitution. (That's an easy one.)

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

You were absolutely right, Scrat, that is an easy one.

Setanta wrote:
Given that there is no constitutional prohibition upon such works of public charity, if the people vote for it, or vote for those who establish such programs, then the objection looks a great deal to me like quibbling with reality.

A very easy one indeed.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 04:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
Scrat wrote:
Hamilton and Madison wrote EXPLICITLY that "promote the general welfare" meant only through the use of those powers enumerated in the Constitution. (That's an easy one.)

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

You were absolutely right, Scrat, that is an easy one.

Setanta wrote:
Given that there is no constitutional prohibition upon such works of public charity, if the people vote for it, or vote for those who establish such programs, then the objection looks a great deal to me like quibbling with reality.

A very easy one indeed.

Thank you for agreeing with me that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT has no power to do these things; the STATES and THE PEOPLE do. Very Happy
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 04:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
I've never seen your alleged quote . . .

Well, I'm at a loss as to what to do for you about that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:29 pm
...and the horse died before leaving the stable.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:33 pm
Scrat, i'd go hang myself before agreeing with you, but you keep tellin' yerself that, given that you have little to cling to in the way of rhetoric success . . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:35 pm
Scrat and Set - you two go to neutral corners or I'm gonna open up a can o'

WHUPASS

on the both of ye.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
Scrat, i'd go hang myself before agreeing with you, but you keep tellin' yerself that, given that you have little to cling to in the way of rhetoric success . . .

Set - You cited the amendment, and I assume we both understand what it means; those powers enumerated in the Constitution are the governments, anything else is reserved for the states and the people. Period. If you fail to understand that simple language, that's neither my fault nor my problem, and if you do understand it, then you must find yourself in agreement with me, as uncomfortable as that may be for you. Cool
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:54 pm
now, now, guys, let's get rude in a nicer and more enticing way, shall we?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:01 pm
Lola wrote:
now, now, guys, let's get rude in a nicer and more enticing way, shall we?

I had hoped I was. If I have failed to do so, it is not for lack of trying, but for lack of talent at it. I will work on it.
0 Replies