Don Imus : The good-natured racist

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:50 pm
Miller wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Is it o-k for rappers to call women "Ho"?

If they're meaning whore, of course not.

But isn't it part of their culture - where they came from - part of their artistry of music - how they express themself? This is the reasoning I have heard why it is o-k for rappers to use such terms in their music.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:53 pm
What I heard of the latest from the meeting between Imus and Rutgers...

The Rutgers University women's basketball coach said Friday her players have accepted radio host Don Imus' apology for racist and sexist comments toward the team and they are "in the process of forgiving."

"These comments are indicative of greater ills in our culture," Stringer said. "It is not just Mr. Imus, and we hope that this will be and serve as a catalyst for change."

Stringer emphasized Friday that the basketball team had never called for Imus to be fired. "It would sadden me for anyone to lose their job," she said. "And he came [to the meeting] in spite of the fact that he lost his job. So let's give him credit for that."

Seems these young women are much more forgiving and understanding than many others.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:47 pm
Quote:
If some one were to overhear you call your child nappy head - they could be offended even if you mean it in the most affectionate way. Would this be wrong?

Yeah- I see what you mean. Just to clarify, I sometimes say his hair is looking nappy. I don't call him "nappy head" (though I used to call him "my little potato head"- a private joke) but even someone overhearing that might take that the wrong way. What are you gonna do?

I also say his skin is looking "ashy" (dry) and tell him to put moisturizer on it. Those are just acceptable, common terms black people use with each other that I've picked up. I think any black person hearing me say that to my black child would understand that even though I'm white, I'm not using those terms in a racist way. I think they'd assume that if I were a racist, I wouldn't have had black children with a black man. They probably would give me the benefit of that doubt.

Quote:
Say you are a black comedian and you tell black jokes using nappy head, and other words coming from a white person would be offensive. Is this comedian adding to the problem by appearing to accept these terms? Could this still be offensive to black people even coming from some one of their own race?

I think it's akin to gay people calling each other "fags" and "queers". If you acknowledge that you know this is what other people think of you, it somewhat deflates the power of those who would hurt you with the same words or terms.
Like I have pale skin with freckles. When I was little, I was called "freckle faced strawberry" so many times it became a joke with me. So when I'd meet someone, I'd say, "Yeah, yeah, I know I have a lot of freckles"- and that was that.
Just like heavy people say, "I know I'm fat..." So what else can anyone say to them about it?
But I agree- it's all very complicated and confusing.

Maybe we could just accept each other as we all are instead of labeling and name calling- problem solved-nothing left to figure out.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:01 pm
Aidan typed:-

Maybe we could just accept each other as we all are instead of labeling and name calling- problem solved-nothing left to figure out.

That sentence young lady; is the most sensible I have ever heard from you.

Keep it up.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:35 pm
aidan wrote :

Quote:
But yeah, black people and/or rappers don't always make the right choices either.
But when it comes to racist or derogitory terminology against their own - it will be taken in a different way.
As when Jews lampoon Jews, or lawyers lampoon lawyers, or women lampoon women, or heavy people lampoon heavy people.
That's just the way it is.

mathos wrote :

Quote:
Aidan typed:-

That sentence young lady; is the most sensible I have ever heard from you.

Keep it up.

of course most us - now and then - use expressions that are not always fair to other people .
and that certainly is not right - and friends may decide to be friends no longer - so we are the losers in that .

imo there is a difference if "those words" are used in a personal context or if they are made for "consumption by the public and personal gain" .
certainly imus and the rappers use "those words" to make money - that's fairly plain and simple to me .
some people might say : " it's a free market and if someone sells garbage to people and people are willing to buy it , nothing wrong with that " .

my problem with that is , that young people have to assume it is the standard and that they should follow those examples .
imo there are certain unwritten rules of conduct we should try to live by .
and if we allow some people to use the airwaves and mass-media (cd's , the press etc.) , i think we can expect them to set themselves some standards that are somewhat ABOVE rather than BELOW common standards .

i just heard on the news that general motors issued a statement saying that they'll continue to employ rappers to sell their product as long as they don't use "those words" while advertising their product .
all i can do is shake my head !
as the commentator said : "as long as it's making money for them they don't seem to see that there is anything wrong with it " .
perhaps they also might see nothing wrong with a criminal advertising their product "because he's not a criminal while advertising for general motors " - YES , i know i'm making this up .

to sum up :
i think we are sinking pretty low if we can excuse all that by saying :
"...but it's making us money..." .
hbg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
Good point hamburger, defining racism can be extremely confusing though, would football fans of opposing teams be classed as racist for instance?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
I agree - by this language being so accepted in this forms, it gives it some sort legitimacy.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:51 pm
Exactly Linkat, is the man in your area flying the Stars and Stripes a racist?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:52 pm
mathos wrote :

Quote:
Good point hamburger, defining racism can be extremely confusing though, would football fans of opposing teams be classed as racist for instance?

when we used to go soccer games in germany , we went for the fun of it ... and would hope our team would win .
we didn't go to beat up on one-another and cause the riot police to be called out ... of course , shows how old i'm getting !
haven't been "with it" for a looong while :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:08 pm
Linkat wrote:
What I heard of the latest from the meeting between Imus and Rutgers...

The Rutgers University women's basketball coach said Friday her players have accepted radio host Don Imus' apology for racist and sexist comments toward the team and they are "in the process of forgiving."

"These comments are indicative of greater ills in our culture," Stringer said. "It is not just Mr. Imus, and we hope that this will be and serve as a catalyst for change."

Stringer emphasized Friday that the basketball team had never called for Imus to be fired. "It would sadden me for anyone to lose their job," she said. "And he came [to the meeting] in spite of the fact that he lost his job. So let's give him credit for that."

Seems these young women are much more forgiving and understanding than many others.

That's because most people have no f*cking balls, especially politicians and media types. They are the most ball-less, soul-less little weasels around. In a situation like this, they go so far out of their way not to appear even the least bit unsympathetic to the victims that they will suggest the dumbest f*cking things, and exaggerate the situation to the point of being a ridiculous parody.

I will not be a bit surprised when some goddammed politician or political pundit suggests that the N-word be outlawed, and anyone uttering the word, thrown in jail for LIFE! I'm sure if I watch Fox News long enough, someone will bring that idea up for serious discussion.

Pinheads!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:19 pm
Quote:
imo there are certain unwritten rules of conduct we should try to live by .
and if we allow some people to use the airwaves and mass-media (cd's , the press etc.) , i think we can expect them to set themselves some standards that are somewhat ABOVE rather than BELOW common standards

I know that here in England, the BBC employs standards that I can live with. I never hear anything that I feel is remotely offensive or that I wouldn't want my children to hear. I simply don't turn the dial to tune in any other stations, so I don't know if that's true across the board in England or not- Mathos might be a better resource for that kind of information.
But each person has to be responsible for his or her own choices. If you don't support a station or an entertainer- they'll fade away quickly enough.

It's funny that you mentioned the US flag Mathos. We went up to Yorkshire/Durham/Northumberland counties over Easter holiday and there was a country and western music festival advertised. Sometimes I can get into a little country and western, so I said, "Let's check it out." Well there were US, Confederate and several different US states flags (a few Texas) flying over the caravans, and it just felt so alien and nationalistic and threatening that I turned the car around and left without hearing a note.
And I realized how intimidating and alien those flags made me feel (especially the confederate flags), because I wasn't used to that display of nationalism anymore (I haven't been to any football games since I've been here).
And it felt unneccessarily divisive- seeing that display of "This is who we are- and this is what we stand for- and this is more important than anything else" at a music festival when music is supposed to be the universal language.

But I think being a fan of a football team is different than being a fan of a specific race.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:07 pm
aidan wrote :

Quote:
And it felt unneccessarily divisive- seeing that display of "This is who we are- and this is what we stand for- and this is more important than anything else" at a music festival when music is supposed to be the universal language.

as the man from the ING bank says (here in canada) : "could'n have said it better myself" .
unfortunately , beating one's chest , flying of flags ... seems to have become more important than true sportsmanship and enjoyment of games , music ...

we had a sports-announcer whose slogan was :
"if you can't play a sport , BE ONE !" .
now it seems to be "WIN , WIN , WIN !" rather than "let's play the game !"
hbg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:07 pm
Quote:
I will not be a bit surprised when some goddammed politician or political pundit suggests that the N-word be outlawed, and anyone uttering the word, thrown in jail for LIFE! I'm sure if I watch Fox News long enough, someone will bring that idea up for serious discussion.

Yeah, that'll happen...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:22 pm
snood wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, that'll happen...

Then, after that, they'll start imprisoning folks for disagreeing with Republicans.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:45 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
snood wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, that'll happen...

Then, after that, they'll start imprisoning folks for disagreeing with Republicans.

Where the hell have you been, Kicky? They banned it almost a month ago.
New York City Council bans 'N' word

Joe(Jeeze)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:49 pm
I think Kicky's prediction was just a tad bit stronger than

(from the linked article)

The resolution to ban the so-called "N-word" is largely symbolic as it carries no weight in law and those who use the word would face no punishment.

Sn(bug-eyed hyperbole is bug-eyed hyperbole)ood
0 Replies