How should "servant" be interpreted in this sentence?

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:13 pm
A single life doth well with churchmen, for charity will hardly water the ground where it must first fill a pool. It is indifferent for judges and magistrates; for if they be facile and corrupt, you shall have a servant five times worse than a wife. For soldiers, I find the generals commonly in their hortatives put men in mind of their wives and children; and I think the despising of marriage amongst the Turks maketh the vulgar soldier more base.

Could you please tell me how to understand the meaning of "servant " here? Does it mean a civil servant like judge and magistrate in this context or a privte servant at home ( like maid)?

This is because different translators have different interpretation in their works, and i would like to compare them.

thank you Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,106 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:53 pm
Judges and Magistrates are servants of both Justice and the People. If they should be facile or corrupt, they are five times worse than a wife.

This is an archaic quotation from a time when wives were regarded as husband's servants, and anyone who has been married for forty years will appreciate what rotten servants wives actually are.

Charity is the province of single churchmen, because there is far too little of it amongst judges, magistrates, generals, and wives. Judges and magistrates are too often facile and corrupt. Generals tend to nag, like wives and children. On the other hand our source decries the brutality of Turkish soldiers as resulting from the absence of marriage.

Who is the source of the quote, I don't recognize it. From its construction, my guess is that it was written before the 18th century and after the 12th. No modern published modern writer would ever get this past their editor and into print.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 02:03 pm
Ash, he (?) has been quoting Francis Bacon in other threads, and i suspect that this is also a quote of Bacon. Bacon flourished late in the reign of Elizabeth I and died about the same time as James I, so, roughly 400 years ago. I had a similar problem with two other threads in which it seemed that someone was doing a bad job with archaic forms.

Applejuice, if you don't mind telling us, are you a man or a woman? Just for sake of courtesy, it would make it easier to refer to you. I will, of course, understand if you don't wish to say.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:16 pm
How should "servant" be interpreted
Applejuice - you don't have to answer truthfully...
0 Replies