can they be regardes near-synonyms in this context?

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:24 am
He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to fortune;…Yet it were great reason that those that have children should have greatest care of future times; unto which they know they must transmit their dearest pledges.

i would like to know whether "hostages" and "pledges" can be regarded as near-synonyms in this context.

thank u Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 555 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:29 am
No, they are not synonymous--but the two words you have bold-faced refer to a man's children. Words do not become synonyms just because someone uses them creatively to refer to the same thing.

Where did you find what you have quoted? It was either badly written in a poor attempt to mimic an archaic style, or it is a passage of archaic English which has been copied in a faulty manner.
0 Replies

applejuice

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:36 am
it is from bacon
it is from francis bacon's Of Marriage and Single Life

i just want to know whether they could be regarded as near synonyms in such a context.... where both of them refer to wife and children??

thank u
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:46 am
In the context of how the terms are used, the meaning is synonymous--but that does not make those words synonyms, and they are not.

If the passage is from Bacon, it has been badly copied.
0 Replies

applejuice

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:55 am
thanks for ur help
Smile
0 Replies