SOPRANOS--da lass seezin.

Thomas

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:34 am
Roberta wrote:
If it's a setup for a movie or some such thing, then I say phooey.

You say phooey -- and then you'll go watch the movie, won't you. Addictions are a terrible thing.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 02:24 am
Hey, seen this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/arts/television/10cart.html?ex=1197172800&en=5751e6ebf5c7d1f4&ei=5087&mkt=tvlink1
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:07 am
A link to Page 2 of that article was posted earlier -- thanks for posting the entire article. I find that summation and the review link I posted to fill out what the media reaction was to the last of the Sopranos quite well.

Like it or not, this is the way they wanted to let these characters walk gingerly through the rest of their lives. Implications that there is going to be a hit on the family, I think, is a sardonic little joke Chase & Co. is dropping on us. The writers have given all we need to know about this family -- making a movie would be superfluous. The only plot line would be that Tony has taken over the New York mob, blah, blah, blah. It would likely be as weak as "Godfather III."

What happened to the movie version of "Sex in the City?"
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:36 am
Parker has recently been quoted, I believe, as saying the movie version of Sex and the City is in the works.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:39 am
I hope they don't blow it! (But, you know that will happen!) Cool Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:09 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I hope they don't blow it! (But, you know that will happen!) Cool Very Happy

yeah, they'll blow it all right. Probably 5 or 6 times at least. Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:42 pm
Yep, here it is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000774/

How many nip-and-tucks do you think the cast will go through before fall?

This is off-the-subject, so why not post a discussion on the film forum
Bella Dea. I'm certain it will get featured -- there's some slow topics in the top ten.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:40 am
And today in the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/arts/television/12sopr.html?em&ex=1181880000&en=a386eaf47226c8f3&ei=5087%0A
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 05:09 am
The Journey song became one of the top 30 songs downloaded to i-Tunes...and sales bumped 139% at Amazon.com.

So the ending was good for a few folks.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:21 am
I finally saw it and although I would have preferred a bloodbath and some closure... because I am a shallow hick.... from a strictly cinematic view... looking at it critically... it was excellent.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:46 pm
Hey Bear, The head crunch was enough for me re bloodletting. CARunch.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:59 pm
Well, at least they cut away the tire began it's trip across the ear -- only the crunching sound was left. This was something like the baby buggy in "The Untouchables," also borrowed from "Battleship Potemkin." Not that he wasn't dead already.

The more I think about the fade to black, the more I like it. I've got in on the DVR to rewatch it for concentration on the finer nuances of this David Chase written and directed final episode of his gangsta opera. Why not make it into an opera? Of course, in operas, everybody dies.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 02:20 pm
What's up with his dumb bitch wife banging on the rear window screaming about the babies, vs. actually getting in the driver's seat and stopping the car?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 02:23 pm
I noticed that -- she panicked after the shooting. But, okay, she was a dumb bitch.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 02:02 pm
Interesting.....

Quote:
Fans of "The Sopranos" are seizing on clues suggesting the controversial blackout which abruptly ended the TV mob drama meant that Tony Soprano was rubbed out, and HBO said on Thursday they may be on to something.

One clue in particular, a flashback in the penultimate episode to a conversation between Tony and his brother-in-law about death, gained credence as an HBO spokesman called it a "legitimate" hint and confirmed that series creator David Chase had a definite ending in mind.

"While he won't say to me 100 percent what it all means, he says some people who've guessed have come closer than others," HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer told Reuters after speaking to Chase.

Yahoo News
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:32 pm
Remember, the keys were shown in the ignition so I assumed that she'd locked herself out of the SUV and couldn't get back in. She wasn't screaming about Phil being rolled over. I don't think she was even aware of that happening. She was screaming about the babies in the back seat.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:19 am
regardless of current events, it was a very good year whenever the sopranos were on. but, i feel like i lost a friend.

the best show on tv, maybe ever. gandalfini, david chase, writers, and cast deserve all their accolades.

the ending was the gift from the artist to viewer of an open canvas onto which any potential future could be projected. now its up to the audience to create.

perfect...360 degree freedom.

knowlegable viewers, long-term sopranos fans who watched since before bush, 911 and iraq could tell you google plus one ways the story lines could procede. none of them were closed out... um 'cept bobbie and phil's head.

and if you think the actor who played phil letardo had a helluva' time shaking off the billy bats character from "goodfella's" imagine now this guy's etching on the american popular culture that they ran over his head, too?

Been working today on a report and slipped in year two of the sopranos for background silence saturation, i forgot how funny the writing and acting was, even early on, with tony musing to jun how when long ago listening to his mother talking to his father about his "feeble minded brother" and remembering that he thought she was talking about jun, and not hercules. the look on tony's face and especially jun's was priceless, speechlessly affecting ..... "whaaa? you thought i was a moron?"

or after tony cleaning up richie aprile's Last Supper, the look on his face when he told carmela " he's gone," with a shrug and hand wave, and warns her after her bewilderment at his meaning "how? that "in 18 years of marriage now wasn't the time to make her an accessory after the fact."

btw musically i think only miami vice affected soundtracks of equal quality.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:48 am
I just saw something interesting -- that Tony Soprano was killed at the end. That he'd said something in an earlier episode about what happens when you're killed, and everything goes to black.

(No, I haven't seen one episode yet, but I find the series interesting and have been intermittently following the discussions here.)
0 Replies