Who resurrected Jesus?

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:33 pm
That does it. I'm throwing away my chalk.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:16 pm
Don't throw it away before you answer, please.

Do you believe Jesus' statement in John 2, or not?

Quote:
18Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21But he spake of the temple of his body.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:43 pm
real life wrote:

Quote:
18Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

I'm still working on this, but you realize that A similar mode of expression takes place in Luke 8:48 when Jesus said to the woman "your faith has made you well." If we apply your line of reasoning, then we would have to conclude the woman healed herself.

I probably should throw away my chalk, however; but beating my head against the blackboard feels OK, too.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 07:10 pm
Neo, go have a Pete Townsend moment.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 07:24 pm
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:

Quote:

I'm still working on this, but you realize that A similar mode of expression takes place in Luke 8:48 when Jesus said to the woman "your faith has made you well." If we apply your line of reasoning, then we would have to conclude the woman healed herself.

Not at all.

Faith is a verb which requires an object. She had faith in God. Or if you use the word 'believe' instead of 'faith' , 'she believed God' (S V DO).

Jesus wasn't saying faith in nothing, or faith in pizza had healed her.

It is obvious from the context who her faith was in, i.e. who she believed.

Jesus nowhere implies that the woman had the power to heal herself, but he states explicitly that He will raise up the temple (His body) that they destroy.

Elsewhere Jesus says:

John 10:17Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

18No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

He clearly states that He has the power to pick up His life after having laid it down.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 08:33 pm
real life wrote:
Faith is a verb which requires an object.

That's damn funny. Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 10:45 pm
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:

Haven't you ever faithed?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 10:36 am
neologist wrote:

Many times I have been the victim of attempted faithing, but that was years ago. Although the Saturday faithers still regularly patrol my neighborhood, they no longer stop at my door. :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:28 am
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:

Many times I have been the victim of attempted faithing, but that was years ago. Although the Saturday faithers still regularly patrol my neighborhood, they no longer stop at my door. :wink:
If you look anything like your avatar, they're prolly just skeered a ya.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:01 pm
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:

Yep my bad. That's what I get for typing a hurried reply.

In any case, faith requires an object.

To say, "I have faith," is an incomplete thought. Faith in who, or what?

The woman had faith in God, the context makes that clear. The NT doesn't state or imply that she had the power to heal herself.

Jesus' statement on the other hand, clearly and explicitly puts forth the fact that Jesus would raise Himself after three days and three nights in the grave.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:24 pm
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:

The woman had faith in God, the context makes that clear. The NT doesn't state or imply that she had the power to heal herself.

Jesus' statement on the other hand, clearly and explicitly puts forth the fact that Jesus would raise Himself after three days and three nights in the grave.

In the example given in Luke 8:47-48, the only thing clearly implied is that she had faith that touching Jesus would heal her. Today we call this the placebo effect.
Quote:
A person's beliefs and hopes about a treatment, combined with their suggestibility, may have a significant biochemical effect. Sensory experience and thoughts can affect neurochemistry. The body's neurochemical system affects and is affected by other biochemical systems, including the hormonal and immune systems. Thus, it is consistent with current knowledge that a person's hopeful attitude and beliefs may be very important to their physical well-being and recovery from injury or illness
http://skepdic.com/placebo.html
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 01:05 am
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:

In the example given in Luke 8:47-48, the only thing clearly implied is that she had faith that touching Jesus would heal her. Today we call this the placebo effect.
Quote:
A person's beliefs and hopes about a treatment, combined with their suggestibility, may have a significant biochemical effect. Sensory experience and thoughts can affect neurochemistry. The body's neurochemical system affects and is affected by other biochemical systems, including the hormonal and immune systems. Thus, it is consistent with current knowledge that a person's hopeful attitude and beliefs may be very important to their physical well-being and recovery from injury or illness
http://skepdic.com/placebo.html

As an impartial observer (sorta, I guess) in this particular argument , mesquite, do you agree that the context indicates the woman had faith IN something (someone), not just that she 'had faith'?

And the text doesn't indicate she had faith in herself, correct?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:39 am
real life wrote:
au1929 wrote:
The question I would ask when was Jesus resurrected

Jesus arose after being in the tomb three days and three nights .

Jesus was supposedly crucified on a Friday and raised Sunday morning. That's only two nights. So did he go back to his tomb Sunday evening and spend another night dead, or what?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:44 am
Terry wrote:
real life wrote:
au1929 wrote:

Jesus was supposedly crucified on a Friday and raised Sunday morning. That's only two nights. So did he go back to his tomb Sunday evening and spend another night dead, or what?

This view is not a Biblical one, although it is a fairly common view represented in the traditions of some denominations.

The Biblical position is that He was crucified and was three days and three nights in the tomb.

There is no Friday-to-Sunday scenario in the New Testament.
0 Replies

Iasion

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:06 pm
Re: Who resurrected Jesus?
Greetings,

neologist wrote:

Out of curiosity , what your stances be on all the books rejected by the council of nicea, ie gospel of thomas, gospel of judas, gospel of philip, etc etc

The Council of Nicea did NOT decide anything about the books of the bible.

They did not even discuss it.

This is merely an urban legend that is very common on the internet.

You can read the actual decidsions of the Council right here :
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3801.htm

Note there is no mention of anything about the books of the Bible.

Various local church councils decided on the canon, as you can see here:
http://www.catholicapologetics.org/ap031100.htm

Iasion
0 Replies

Iasion

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:08 pm
Greetings,

real life wrote:
au1929 wrote:

No he didn't.

According to the NT, he was crucified Friday night and rose on Sunday morning - that's about 1.5 days, including 2 nights.

Iasion
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:46 pm
Iasion wrote:
Greetings,

real life wrote:
au1929 wrote:

No he didn't.

According to the NT, he was crucified Friday night and rose on Sunday morning - that's about 1.5 days, including 2 nights.

Iasion

There is nothing in the NT that says He was crucified on Friday.

He was crucified on the day before the first day of Passover.

He was placed in the tomb shortly before evening as the Passover (The first of Passover being a sabbath, often also referred to as a 'high Sabbath' or 'high Day') was about to begin.

Quote:
Luke 23:53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.

54And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.

The first day of Passover was a 'high Day'. also referred to in the NT as a sabbath.

Quote:
John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away

The day after the first day of Passover (also referred to as a sabbath, see above), some of the women purchased and prepared spices for Him. They would not have done so on the first day of Passover.

Quote:
Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

Quote:
Luke 23:56a And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments.....

Then they rested the next day because it was the weekly sabbath.

Quote:
Luke 23:56b ........and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Then they came the day after the weekly sabbath to the tomb, bringing the spices with them.

Quote:
Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

This was three days and nights after Jesus had been placed in the tomb. This agrees with Jesus' words:

Quote:
Matt 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

and also

Quote:
John 2:18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

If Jesus was only in the tomb for 1 1/2 days, then the words of Jesus are incorrect, as is the chronology given in the gospels.

Church traditions hold that there is a Friday-to-Sunday chronology, but you won't find it in the NT.

If the apostles believed and taught that Jesus was only in the tomb 1 1/2 days (Friday-to-Sunday), why would Matthew, Mark, Luke and John leave these obvious contradictions in their accounts?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:21 pm
Part of the confusion is in the way the Jews reckoned the start of the day. Jesus celebrated the Passover with his disciples and instituted the New Covenant on the 14th day of the Hebrew month of Nisan. That day started after sundown. He was tortured on the same day and died before sundown (late in the afternoon) but not until he had endured for nearly a full 24 hours. So, a short time later (after sundown) he would have already been dead for parts of 2 days.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:37 pm
real life wrote:

He was placed in the tomb shortly before evening as the Passover (The first of Passover being a sabbath, often also referred to as a 'high Sabbath' or 'high Day') was about to begin.

No, Jesus was not crucifed before Passover:
Mark 14 wrote:
1Now the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were only two days away, and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some sly way to arrest Jesus and kill him. 2"But not during the Feast," they said, "or the people may riot."

12On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus' disciples asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"
13So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' 15He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."

He ate the Passover meal with his disciples and was crucified the following day:
Quote:
Mark 15:42 It was Preparation Day (that is, the day before the Sabbath). So as evening approached, 43Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent member of the Council, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for Jesus' body. 44Pilate was surprised to hear that he was already dead.

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all agree that Jesus was crucified on the day of preparation for the Sabbath, which was Friday afternoon (the Sabbath starts at sunset Friday), and was gone from the tomb by dawn on Sunday. His body could not have been in the tomb very long before sunset Friday (figuring time to get permission to take the body, prep and transport time), and we don't know how early on Sunday he was resurrected - it could even have been Saturday evening. He certainly was not in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights, and might possibly have spent little more than 1 day and 1 night there.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 04:42 pm
Terry wrote:
real life wrote:

No, Jesus was not crucifed before Passover:
Mark 14 wrote:
1Now the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were only two days away, and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some sly way to arrest Jesus and kill him. 2"But not during the Feast," they said, "or the people may riot."

12On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus' disciples asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"
13So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' 15He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."

He ate the Passover meal with his disciples and was crucified the following day:
Quote:
Mark 15:42 It was Preparation Day (that is, the day before the Sabbath). So as evening approached, 43Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent member of the Council, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for Jesus' body. 44Pilate was surprised to hear that he was already dead.

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all agree that Jesus was crucified on the day of preparation for the Sabbath, which was Friday afternoon (the Sabbath starts at sunset Friday), and was gone from the tomb by dawn on Sunday. His body could not have been in the tomb very long before sunset Friday (figuring time to get permission to take the body, prep and transport time), and we don't know how early on Sunday he was resurrected - it could even have been Saturday evening. He certainly was not in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights, and might possibly have spent little more than 1 day and 1 night there.

Jesus Christ was the passover lamb himself.

The day he rode into town on the ass was the day the passover lamb was selected. The day he was crucified the passover lamb was slain. He was taken down from the cross before the passover meal was consumed.

The meal in the upper room was a holy day but it was not passover as the Bible seems to erroneously indicate.

For how could Jesus be OUR passover if he was not slain on passover day?

It is easy to see that theists have messed things up for Jesus was in the grave three days and three nights but from good Friday to easter Sunday is not three days and three nights no matter how you add it up.

When a holy day would land in the middle of the week it's feast would take preeminence over the weekly sabbath.

1Co 5:7
Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

Comment: How can Jesus be our passover if he was sitting and eating the passover meal with the disciples? The theology is all wrong... Jesus Christ was literally the passover and the last supper was simply a holy day the fell in the middle of the week.
0 Replies