Discussion i had last night...

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 01:55 pm
Last night over dinner my friend Alfred and I got into a huge disagreement about societal changes in 19th century America. I said the biggest changes came about because of the civil war/reconstruction, Alfred says the industrial revolution changed society more.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,841 • Replies: 61
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 01:59 pm
Personally, I think this is really your homework assignment.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:01 pm
Rolling Eyes Laughing :wink:

Nice try. Once the deadline for the homework is well past, maybe we'll comment.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:27 pm
well asherman, you have to admit, at least they tried to make it sound legit.

Just the other day I was speaking with my friends Hilary Clinton and John McClain about universal health care.

John was just being a poop head about the whole thing and Hilary was on the rag.

What do you think?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:43 pm
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

Someone call Boomerang, she'll love this.

You've gotta give this kid one thing: he knows how to take good advice Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:54 pm
oh yeah, that's really good....

oh boooooomerang....come here.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:59 pm
actually, chai, is this one of your relatives? (same surname)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 03:18 pm
oh.....yeah..... Embarrassed

cuzin' sugar, y'all git!

just git!
0 Replies

SugarTea

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 04:20 pm
Why doesn't anyone want to help? What is the society turning into these days..., i thought historians were supposed to be nice people...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 04:23 pm
You go first Sugar, give us your opinion on the situation and we'll join in.
0 Replies

SugarTea

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 04:57 pm
Okay, I agree with Mr. B to some extent. i think the industrial revolution affected society but the industrial revolution also affected the civil war too. It had a profound impact in changing lifestyles (for better or worse) and bringing about new inventions in all industrializing nations at the time, not just the US.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 05:07 pm
Now all you need is another thousand words or so, organized to demonstrate why you've come to that conclusion. Be sure to properly quote and cite your sources.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 07:55 pm
<sniff, sniff>

Oh my. I just had this big flash forward to Mo being all grown up and me coaching him on how to cheat.

So sweet and precious.

For the first time, I feel like a good mom.
0 Replies

SugarTea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:27 pm
but help me out atleast a littlle, please!! Sad

like get me started or opinions.., anything
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:09 pm
Thee people are being a real bunch of snobs. Ill help you , but first I have to go eat supper , then Ill be back with the goods.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:24 pm
Maybe I'll give one more Craven quote, since folks didn't get the first one I threw out.

"Yes, and don't mind the people who like to put others down about "homework".

It's so common among this crowd that I have seen self-important people telling 80 year olds who want to discuss something to "do your own damn...."

osso dice,
for me, it's a knowledge site, I'm still learning. You don't have to answer, but mocking questioners is at the least impolite - most of them don't know better, given google, that we prefer to lead folks to the river instead of handing them glasses full of lemonade.
(I'll admit to mocking questioners. Slaps self. But I mean not to, usually.)

Even this constructed questioner...

If they do know better, you can still help them work their own thoughts out.
0 Replies

SugarTea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:36 pm
Well atleast i came up to the conclusion that the Civil War was partly about whether America would follow its agrarian slave holding past or would join the race for modernization. But Industrialization was the bigger change, the Civil was was partly a product of that. So it was probably what marked the biggest difference in the societal change in the early 1800's
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:18 am
When you are responding to a question (academic, or otherwise) don't rush too quickly to a conclusion. Conclusions follow on a thoughtful evaluation of the research you've done into the topic. We are presuming that you've attended all the classes of the course, paid attention and made at least some notes on the salient points made by the teacher. Further, that you've read all the assigned work in your textbooks, and done some research into the non-assigned literature relevant to the question. Are those correct assumptions?

Review all the materials you have collected that's relevant. Devise a thesis statement your paper will attempt to support. The thesis should be short, clear and complete. Next, workout at least two lines of reason that support your thesis statement. Carefully word each of the supporting elements in a short, clear sentence. The more supporting rational you can come up with the better. The number of supporting elements will depend upon the strength and length of your analysis. For most school papers you probably will end up with three, perhaps as many as five main points. Arrange the various points to make your best case. The result should be a simple outline of your contention supported by evidence. For each element in your outline, think of why the supporting elements ARE and are NOT valid (argument and counter-argument). Try hard to balance the two, and you may find that you would be better off taking a different tack.

For us to help much, we need the exact wording of the assignment, and the date your paper is due.
0 Replies

SugarTea

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 06:42 pm
How would you characterize the societal and political changes in America, from roughly 1763-1877? What would you argue weer the primary facotrs and influences that determined these changes? Were these changes simple modifications of existing structures and traditions or did they represent radical departure from earlier periods?

this is the exact question and it is due by thursday Sad

ahh, help, thanks

Happy Easter to you all
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 08:22 pm
What you have there is three nested questions. Formulate your thesis statement on the first question based on your class notes, assigned reading, and independent research. The second two questions can be dealt with from the points you make supporting your thesis

The time period, 1763-1877, is encompasses the changes from the British Colonial period in North America to Reconstruction. There were a number of changes in that 177 years. You might want to divide that up into several sub-sets. What changes occurred to initiate each sub-set, and how did one give rise to the following period? How much real change was there from 1763 to 1877? How did the basic outlook of the American people change over that period? Why?

Its probably too late to do much research, so you are going to have to depend upon what you already have as a data base to think and write from. You need to get an outline constructed ASAP that covers what you want to say. Your teacher will be trying to determine exactly how much of the material you've managed to learn, how well you understand the relationships of the trends and events during the period. Faking it will probably fail dismally, so just do the best you can with what you have.

A great deal in this case will rest on how fast and how well you can write. Keep your sentences short; on average 14 words per sentence and four or five sentences in the body of each paragraph. Keep your grammar simple and use the computer spell and grammar checkers frequently. You need to impress the reader with really solid text, so avoid using "filler" material, or informal usages. This assignment done correctly at a lower-division undergraduate level could easily run 15 to 20 pages, but for high school you might squeeze by with two to three thousand words.

How much have you done so far? Can you post your thesis statement and outline this evening? If so, I'll look it over and perhaps will have some suggestions/hints that might help.
0 Replies