The CAT room!

sophie99

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:18 pm
Hi Debra, It does sound like the territorial issues cannot be resolved. I recently adopted a 3 yr old after saying a last goodbye to my dear 22 yr old. My 10 yr old has grudgingly accepted the newbie and they do have periodic spats. Overall tho, they have worked it out. I love the morning nose to nose greetings. However, I do agree that sometimes it cannot be worked out. It sounds like your older cat is trying to establish her alpha position & it may be hard for Sally to ever feel some respite. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between fighting & playing tho. The slap & run on the bag sounded more playful to me, but I wasn't there. I would say go with your gut feelings and if it doesn't feel like it's right for either of them, I would agree that Sally may need a new home.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:07 pm
I can't give up Sally
I can't give up Sally.

My honey and I rescued homeless Sally and her sister, Suzy, on October 6th after their brother [Loverboy; sob Sad ] was killed on the highway.

We went from 2 cats to 4 cats. I gave Suzy to a good home (four cats were too many), but we kept Sally because she was not litter box trained. I couldn't give someone else that problem. Additionally, she has a hernia in belly and the vet will fix that when she's spayed. We're going to have that done in January.

I finally learned that Sally doesn't like the litter, but she likes paper. I shred newspapers for her litter box -- but she still is not completely trained. It's going to take more work.

My honey and I love Sally. We can't give her away. We don't think anyone else (besides us) would put up with her "not quite" litter box trained problem.

We will continue to keep the girls separated -- it's the only thing we can do. I was just hoping that we could be ONE BIG HAPPY family!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:27 pm
Try a squirtgun. Keep it handy, stay alert, and nail the perp at the first sign of violation. No big fuss other than that and mebbe separatin' the two if necessary. I dunno as I'd lock either critter away - I think it'd be best to make special fuss one way or the other, beyond preventin' bloodshed and preservin furniture. Be a little stand-offish to the perp for a while followin' an incident, but don't rush to cuddle and cosole the adrieved party, either.

Now, I know I ain' there, and I don't know those two critters, but mebbe, just mebbe, the two of 'em oughtta be allowed just once or twice to come to whatever terms they come to - don't break it up, let them sort it out. Odds are they will settle it if un interupted and undistracted, and once settled, those things pretty much stay settled. If ya do give that a shot, don't go gettin' all upset yourself - its their spat, you stay out of it. Be a good idea to have a bucket of water handy if you decide to try that route, and a couple good-sized, thick towels. Oh, and somethin to wipe up the water - the towels are for your protection in case ya actually do hafta pry the critters apart.

Cats generally aren't fond of citrus, so a lttle lemon juice added to the squirtgun's ammo might highten the effect. You wanna get a pretty hefty squirtgun, too - ya wanna accurately deliver a fair amount of water with each trigger squeeze.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:07 pm
I use a super soaker on Mikey when he gets out of control. It has never failed. The sight of it is now enough to get him to slink off into another room. A big super soaker water gun that can squirt 10 to 15 feet with a hard stream. Take that, Mikey.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:07 pm
Poor Mikey! You pick on him, Roberta! :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:24 pm
I hate cats.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 07:07 pm
I couldn't get that to work, cjhsa. It keeps stopping before it's started! Confused
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:33 am
That would be your firewall and other settings. But you get the idea, I'm sure. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 05:37 am
Oh, I do, I do .... I just hope it wasn't too mean or unpleasant!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:39 pm
No. Can someone back me up here? Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:02 pm
Let's try that again
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:04 pm
msolga wrote:
Poor Mikey! You pick on him, Roberta! :wink:

Hey, msolga, I use the super soaker when Mikey attacks me. Rolling Eyes It's better than locking myself in the bathroom. I pick on him, huh? Mutter, mutter, mutter.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:05 pm
no, all i got was swirly shapes ??????
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:06 pm
Turn up your sound people.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 03:08 pm
Its a sneeze ... a less-than-a-second-long soundclip. 'Least, thats what it was when I checked the first link. Its a Windows Audio file, but any media player oughta work. Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Quicktime, IrfanPlayer, and WinAmp all worked for me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 07:21 pm
I'll take your word for it. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 07:23 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Its a sneeze ... a less-than-a-second-long soundclip. 'Least, thats what it was when I checked the first link. Its a Windows Audio file, but any media player oughta work. Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Quicktime, IrfanPlayer, and WinAmp all worked for me.

A mystery, timber. Confused I've had no problem with other video clips ... but this one?: no go! Confused
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 06:13 pm
Hope it's not the dreaded sneezevirus worm clip...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:45 pm
Sorry, I'm in no position to tell you, Magus. Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:48 pm
Why does it seem like so many men are allergic to cats? I think the population of cat-allergy sufferers is supposed to be down around 10% - but, it seems like about 20% of men are allergic to them. Are ALL people with cat allergies men?
0 Replies