The CAT room!

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:13 pm
Olga - nope, an all-black, double-pawed, wide-faced beauty.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:06 pm
Roberta wrote:
My friend visited me; her husband also visited. He'd never been here before. We were casually conversing in the living room. Mikey sauntered in. Bob's eyes widened, he stopped midsentence, and said, "That's the biggest cat I've ever seen in my life." Poor Bob. I think he was noivous.

Laughing Laughing And Mikey then proceeded to torture him with his antics?
Are you saying that Mikey has GROWN recently, Roberta ? Surprised

I hope you get that much needed rest SOON! I hope all this work is making you rich, too!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:08 pm
littlek wrote:
Olga - nope, an all-black, double-pawed, wide-faced beauty.

Oh, I LOVE black cats! Very Happy But what does "double-pawed" mean, littlek?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:02 am
Boida! We MISS you!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:05 am
Yes, we do!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:30 am
true we do. More Mikey tales ..... how many toes does he have?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:10 pm
double paws means extra toes (and claws). Sunny had an extra 2 or 3 claws on each front paw and maybe one extra on her hind paws. I can't remember. She walked like a ballerina.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:06 am
Olga, Mikey hasn't grown. He's the biggest I ever saw too. He's a big, big cat. He's about the size of a lynx. He's big. Also large.

Cats are supposed to have eighteen toes. Five on each front foot and four on each back foot. Mikey has six on each foot, for a total of twenty-four, six more than he's supposed to.

Littlek, I never heard the expression double paws. The condition is known to me as polydactyly.

He're a poem about Mikey's feet:

Mikey's got a lot of toes,
Six more than he's supposed ta
He reminds me of a real old song
Written by Fats Walla.

Yes, Mikey, your "feets too big."
I'm glad you don't have to be shod
'Cause your shoes would have to be customized,
And paying would be very "hod."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
<clap, clap, clap!>

Thanks for obliging us with more tales of Mikey. Very Happy I do wish I could see this extraordinary critter in the flesh! The size, the toes, the antics ....

You have inspired me to think about a poem for flatty, Roberta! Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:22 pm
Great poem! Polydactyly is certainly a more proper name for it.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 11:26 am
Laughing
0 Replies

AmericanEagleJRL

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:40 pm
I loooooooooove cats! I have 2. Oreo and Midnight. I had 4. But one was catnapped(Rocky) and the other was hit by a car on Cinco De Mayo 2002(Rolland). Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:19 am
Hello & welcome, AmericanEagle! Very Happy
As you've probably gathered, there are many others here besotted by cats, too.
You're in good company!
Tell us a little about Orea & Midnight (a black cat? Very Happy ) ... Even Rocky Sad , if you'd like to talk about her/him.
0 Replies

AmericanEagleJRL

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:52 pm
Lets see.........

Oreo is black and white. She has an almost all white face with a black moustache. When we first got her, we were told she was a boy, so her name was Chaplin, as in Charlie. But after taking her to the vet to get her fixed, we found out the truth, so I just went with Oreo. Real original huh? LOL!

Midnight is all black with some white on her toes, belly and a tad bit below her nose. She's a stinker. Always getting into trouble at night while I'm trying to sleep. Whether it be playing with plastic bags or with the beaded curtain haning on my wall.

Rocky was black and white as well. Pretty even mix between the two. He was VERY independant. He was out all day and came back at night(usually with a mouse or a bird). He liked to be pet, but not often. He used to play all the time with one of my neighbors cats. They were inseperable. The day she moved away was the day Rocky oddly disappeared. Coincidence? I think not.

Rolland was all black. As he got older, he started to get an orange tinge to parts of his coat and we found out he was not just a tabby like the other three. He was a Maine Coon. I loved that cat. He had the LOUDEST meow. All the neighbors knew and loved him. He'd come to greet you at the car(well, Oreo and Midnight do this as well) and would sleep on my bed(Oreo and Midnight do this as well, but not as frequently). If he wasn't in our house, we knew he was next door with our neighbor sleeping or being pampered. That cat had it good. I had been out for the day on Cinco De Mayo and came home and my dad was very upset. He told me he had just gotten done burrying Rolland in the field across from our house. Someone had hit him. I miss that cat so much. He had the BEST personality you could ask for in a pet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:27 pm
Ah, AmericanEagle, I see you are truly one of us! Cat addictions last a lifetime, once smitten. Very Happy

I love the way people write about their cats. So much affection, enjoyment & respect for these darn critters that take over our lives! Very Happy
Rolland sounds like a wonderful cat. It's terribly sad when something like that happens, I know .... But we never forget them, do we? Smile

Oreo & Midnight sound a delightful pair! Obviously Midnight knows what his job requires in your house: entertainment! Very Happy He sings for his supper!

Do you think their was some foul play in the disappearance of your cat, Rocky? One of the worst things, I think, is when a pet disappears & you have no idea of what's happened to them. I know, it's happened to me. Extremely sad.
0 Replies

AmericanEagleJRL

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:53 pm
I know he was catnapped. He HAD to have been. The lady moves and suddenly he's gone? Just doesn't sit well with me.

Oh, and Midnight is a girl. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:00 pm
Oh, SORRY, midnight! What an insult for a lady! Very Happy

Oh, it's just terrible when a cat is stolen! The only good (?) part is that at least he wasn't mistreated & stayed with his friend. But what a thing to do! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 06:00 am
Mikey update: When I brought all my mother's things to my apartment, one of the things included my grandmother's white silk wing chair, which I placed in my bedroom. Mikey never went near it. The other night I went into the bedroom to get something, and there was Mikey relaxing in the chair. His white coat against the white silk with his tabby spots and green eyes jumping out of the picture all looked so beautiful that I actually teared up. A non-Mikey moment.

Earlier tonight he reverted to type. He made off with the microphone from my computer. He was last seen carrying it his mouth and dragging the wire lionlike between his legs. I don't know where it is. Maybe he secretly yens to try some karaoke, and he'll practice when I'm out.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:39 pm
Roberta
Could you put a Mikey warning sign at the beginning of your posts, please!

I started to read about Microphone Mikey and laughed so much I started to cough uncontrollably.

This is not how I like to start the day! Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 11:59 pm
Sorry about the coughing fit, Margo. You should assume that if you see my avatar and it's in this thread, there's a pretty good chance I'm gonna say something about the monster cat.

Warning!! Mikey and the bathroom sink story to follow.

When Mikey was a kitten, he liked to nap in the bathroom sink, especially in summer when the porcelain must feel nice and cool. I have the same sink. The one thing that's changed is that Mikey is no longer a kitten. He doesn't fit in the bathroom sink, which is not really a deterent. I've seen him squoosh himself in. First he licks the faucet. God forbid a drop of water should land on him. Then he licks the drain, also eliminating water droplets. Then the painful process of watching this gigantic cat pretzelize himself into the sink. If his bottom is in, his head is out. If his head is in, he legs are out. I walked into the bathroom and found him with his head hanging down over the ledge of the sink. Mikey's imitation of playing dead? No, he just likes doing that.

And moi? I brush my teeth in the kitchen. Sigh.
0 Replies