HOLOCAUST DENIAL AND OTHER P.C. HISTORY

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 12:37 pm
I read the following early this morning and haven't been able to get it off my mind. I read it with fist clenching anger and that has not abated.

Am I alone in resenting rewrites or omissions of history to avoid offending this group or that group? Or rewriting or omitting history to make it more easy to attack this group or that group?

If this is accurately reported and it becomes a trend, God help our children when the present generation passes on. No one will have been taught or even have access to the history necessary to put anything into its proper perspective. And whatever form of dictatorship exists will have a free rein to fill vacant heads with whatever garbage they choose.

History is what history is. How dare anybody rewrite it to avoid offending people who deny it? How much more of this will we tolerate? At least the article provides opinion from one educator who thinks it is a terrible concept.

Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims
By LAURA CLARK
April 2, 2007

Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed.

It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

Teachers fear backlash over crackdown in the classroom

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.

The findings have prompted claims that some schools are using history 'as a vehicle for promoting political correctness'.

The study, funded by the Department for Education and Skills, looked into 'emotive and controversial' history teaching in primary and secondary schools.

It found some teachers are dropping courses covering the Holocaust at the earliest opportunity over fears Muslim pupils might express anti-Semitic and anti-Israel reactions in class.

The researchers gave the example of a secondary school in an unnamed northern city, which dropped the Holocaust as a subject for GCSE coursework.

The report said teachers feared confronting 'anti-Semitic sentiment and Holocaust denial among some Muslim pupils'.

It added: "In another department, the Holocaust was taught despite anti-Semitic sentiment among some pupils.

"But the same department deliberately avoided teaching the Crusades at Key Stage 3 (11- to 14-year-olds) because their balanced treatment of the topic would have challenged what was taught in some local mosques."

A third school found itself 'strongly challenged by some Christian parents for their treatment of the Arab-Israeli conflict-and the history of the state of Israel that did not accord with the teachings of their denomination'.

The report concluded: "In particular settings, teachers of history are unwilling to challenge highly contentious or charged versions of history in which pupils are steeped at home, in their community or in a place of worship."

But Chris McGovern, history education adviser to the former Tory government, said: "History is not a vehicle for promoting political correctness. Children must have access to knowledge of these controversial subjects, whether palatable or unpalatable."

The researchers also warned that a lack of subject knowledge among teachers - particularly at primary level - was leading to history being taught in a 'shallow way leading to routine and superficial learning'.

Lessons in difficult topics were too often 'bland, simplistic and unproblematic' and bored pupils.
SOURCE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,189 • Replies: 15
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 12:59 pm
Great!

Let's make sure we do not teach ANY history. This way we can get to make these mistake all over again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 01:04 pm
Well, there's already a thread on it, but in "International News" (which is the correct place since it happened in England) - but it can't be posted enough.

This is part of the press release, as published by agencies

Quote:
A report for the Department for Education and Skills found that a history department in a northern city had avoided selecting the Holocaust as a GCSE topic for fear of confronting "anti-semitic sentiment and Holocaust denial" among some Muslim pupils.

Another school decided to teach the Holocaust despite anti-semitic sentiment amongstudents,butavoidedtheCrusades as "their balanced treatment of the topic would have directly challenged what was taught in some local mosques".

The report, Teaching Emotive and Controversial History, also revealed that one school was challenged by Christian parents for teachers' treatment of the ArabIsraeli conflict.

A DfES spokesman said: "It's up to schools to make a judgment on non-compulsory parts of the national curriculum.

It is a broad framework and there is scope for schools to make their own decisions."
Teaching of the Holocaust is expected to become compulsory under the new national curriculum from next year.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 01:32 pm
Ahmadinejad denies the holocaust and it's hard to believe anyone could with all the documented history. He also calls for an international study of the holocaust and I agree wholeheartedly. Let's put an end to all the nonsense with a complete study with every nation involved. The only problem with a complete study is Hitler was backed by many prominent Allied industrialists and bankers who backed his rise to power and invested heavily in his military industrial complex. Some leading American corporations and families continued in partnership with the Nazis well into the war with Standard Oil providing fuel for Hitler all through the war. And Standard Oil of New Jersey was also the largest stockholder in IG Farben and agreed to continue their partnership even if their countries were at war. Together they built Auschwitz and many other concentration/death camps. The Bush/Walker family also made money off Auschwitz and had several businesses siezed by the US government under the Trading with the Enemy Act in December 1942 and January 1943 well into the war. I believe we should study the holocaust and we should tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I aslso agree with what Ahmadinejad said to Bushie in his letter. Let's assume the holocaust is real. What right did that give anyone to seize Palestinian houses and kill Palestinians who had nothing to do with the holocaust.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 01:46 pm
I feel your anger as well as my own. This is as disturbing as pretending the Racist South's formation of the Confederacy wasn't a disgusting defense of slavery... or that the Confederate Flag isn't every bit as much a symbol of Racism as the Nazi Swastika... or our obscene celebration of Thanks Giving where we pretend to be grateful for the peaceful culture that fed our ancestors shortly before our ancestors opted to commit genocide against them to steal their land... leading to centuries of hideous oppression.

I couldn't' agree more that the truth, no matter how unpalatable it may be, needs to be taught in order to try and avoid the mistakes of the past, as well as limit the holier than thou attitudes that the teaching of sanitized history perpetuates.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 01:51 pm
I'm not going to repied what e.g. Set already said on the other thread, but it really is ashaming for those three (?) history teachers.

This will be discussed in two weks at a conference in London (I mentioned that on the other thread as well).

There is obviously a problem in teaching history in England - and/or a discrepance between the history curriculum and what teachers actually teach.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 02:25 pm
Would you please link this other thread, Walter? I don't see it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 02:28 pm
Here.

Actually, this thread has a lot more response and the topic might well be US-related ("International" isn't looked at a lot in A2K usually Crying or Very sad )
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
Thanks... and sorry we're such a self centered majority.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 02:49 pm
I find it more than a little quixotic to ascribe this to a "politically correct" attitude, and i suspect that Fox, never behind hand in attempting to slur those with whom she habitually disagrees, would like to suggest that this is a product of the evil libruls.

At all events, i responded to the first thread on this topic, and only thought i'd stop by to point out to Fox how frequently she employs the rhetoric of the right in a politically correct manner whenever she has the opportunity.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 03:01 pm
Quote:
But Chris McGovern, history education adviser to the former Tory government, said: "History is not a vehicle for promoting political correctness. Children must have access to knowledge of these controversial subjects, whether palatable or unpalatable."

That pretty much sums it up. One could even argue that, the more controversy there is about a certain subject, the more important it is to teach that subject.

And dropping a certain subject from the curriculum because it might offend someone has certainly nothing to do with "policital correctness"...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 03:10 pm
The report isn't online, but all reports "only" tell of three schools.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 05:28 pm
I wish the human race would evolve quicker so we can get rid of all this religion mess that distorts facts, supresses truth, and generally is more trouble than it's worth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 05:46 pm
Setanta wrote:
I find it more than a little quixotic to ascribe this to a "politically correct" attitude, and i suspect that Fox, never behind hand in attempting to slur those with whom she habitually disagrees, would like to suggest that this is a product of the evil libruls.

At all events, i responded to the first thread on this topic, and only thought i'd stop by to point out to Fox how frequently she employs the rhetoric of the right in a politically correct manner whenever she has the opportunity.

Yep...their employment of denunciations of almost anything they don't like as "PC" is as mindless as a spinal reflex, and is pure right wing weasel word propaganda at its silliest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 03:26 pm
I saw your comment in the other, earlier, more interesting--better thread, Miss Wabbit. I wonder if Fox considers it a corruption arising from "PC" attitude for Christians to object to the teaching of the Arab-Israeli conflict?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:45 pm
Setanta wrote:
I saw your comment in the other, earlier, more interesting--better thread, Miss Wabbit. I wonder if Fox considers it a corruption arising from "PC" attitude for Christians to object to the teaching of the Arab-Israeli conflict?

Dunno.

It's funny, the far right is more used to denouncing an internationalist conspiracy and jewish intellectuals etc etc etc etc historically as part of their hate list...it's interesting to see the spinal reflex move to defending jews against the new hated group....muslims.

I wonder how the real far right is managing this? Whether they now hate both, or whether they are mutually exclusive, and they defend jews all the time?

It seems that they are so hell bent on frothing at the current devil, "liberals"...who occasionally call for the actions of Israel to be viewed critically, rather than as always nothing but the effusions of total saintliness and perfection.... and therefore the propaganda masters call for "liberals" to be denounced as anti semitic, terror supporting demons...that their traditional anti jewish bent has become confused. Must be hell marching as one mind right now.

What has been the position of more moderate conservative people re those nasty intellectuals (which has often been a code word for "jewish intellectual" as we know)?
0 Replies