REUTERS: Ten Percent Genetic Differences Between Races

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:24 am
Hey, I dont make funa your flower pot do I?
PS who was the cartoon character used to wear a fez?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:30 am
Akbar and Jeff?

http://sidesalad.net/archives/AkbarAndJeff.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:49 am
http://cartoonmodern.blogsome.com/images/fezmagoo.jpg

Well, Mr. Magoo did occasionally.

Mutt, of Mutt and Jeff, wore one occasionally--but i couldn't get the image i found to properly link.

I think there was some joker in either Gasoline Alley or Moon Mullins who wore one, but i couldn't find any images of it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:59 am
Thanks for showing us Mr McGoo! It's priceless with many good memories to boot.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 01:38 pm
Akbar and Jeff ((henh henh))

I think Moon mUllins rings a bell. That was in some single panel comics from a racing form my Uncle Stash used to read.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:39 pm
FM, you had an uncle Stash? That's way too cool. I'm jealous.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:16 am
YEp, uncle Stash (or Stosh for the nitpickers) was a geologist too and he taught at UNM and the Tree Ring SChool at U Arizona. His real love was prospecting (He was my big influence- I dedicated my diss to him)
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:50 am
Mr Magoo has a rather big snout. Probably Michael1 would classify him as less human for that reason.

Seriously, I have rarely seen more ignorant input on A2K than the racist crap ventilated by above mentioned user. I pity his warped view of the world and of its beautiful people.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:35 am
Farmerman, when did he teach at UNM and UA? I might still have been in Tucson at the time (I'm a very old bird).

Paaskynen, you're right, poor Mr. Magoo probably wouldn't have been up to Michael's standards.

You will note, however, that there are some of the best posters to be found anywhere on a2k right here on this thread. I think they use threads such as this to hone their skills in irony and sarcasm, and to provide some realism, which is I why I come to read.

Michael, and his mind boggling assertions, are really beside the point.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:38 am
farmerman wrote:
or Stosh for the nitpickers)

Was his middle initial U. and his last name Liberty?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:34 am
farmerman wrote:
Where to draw the line? That Is a great question. The genetic variability (which really is what the original article was spouting) is as great, between members of a clade as it is between members of different clades. (Im always wondering about how we miss that point when discussing evolution). The seeds of adaptive evolution are "often "Built in" to the existing genome by such variability. AS Gould said.'genes are merely the bookkeepers of evolution, not necessarily the cause"

Exactly, Farmerman, but I thought that's what the original article here was about - I know nothing of the original poster, but it makes as much sense to blame him/her as to blame Reuters. I do hope nobody blames the scientists involved in the study!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:38 am
High Seas wrote:

Exactly, Farmerman, but I thought that's what the original article here was about - I know nothing of the original poster, but it makes as much sense to blame him/her as to blame Reuters. I do hope nobody blames the scientists involved in the study!

I definitely blame the original poster for the misleading topic title; a "10 percent genetic difference between races" was not part of the Reuters article in question, nor was it even a paraphrase.
0 Replies