holly15012

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:43 am
deprovera
hi, i started the deprovera shot 2 months ago after my 2nd miscarrige. i dont know if its a side effect of the shot or not but ive felt so sick every day since i got it, i cant eat, i have no appetite, im always worn out and tired, i get headaches alot, short of breath, have chest pains and terrible stomach pains, havent stopped bleeding since i got it. has anyone else had any problems with the shot? or gotten pregnant while on it?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:00 am
if you are having chest pain, i suggest calling your doctor immediately as hypertension can be a side effect of all birth control. i didn't experience what you describe on depo provera but i did experience it on another BCP. the appetite, tiredness, and bleeding supposedly stop, but they didn't for me on this other pill. However, chest pain is a huge problem. Call your doctor immediately and tell him/her that!
0 Replies

holly15012

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:07 am
deprovera
ive gone to my dr about it they took some blood tests was all normal but i dont know my dr isnt very good i dont think, they never call back when say they will they dont even call me about my test results i always have to call and ask which isnt how it should be but its the only dr i can go to cause its the only clinic in the area and i cant drive. dont really know what to do about it, if its cause of the shot its so not worth getting.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:25 am
well i would just ask them to please switch your birth control. if you haven't had these problems until you started the shot, i would assume until proven otherwise that the side effects come from the shot. did they take your blood pressure, that is the key indicator of hypertension. i think the chest pain would scare me enough to ask them to change it.
0 Replies

holly15012

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:32 am
deprovera
yea they took my blood pressure its still normal they always check blood pressure and do blood tests since im anemic but its all been normal lately
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:05 am
i guess in my mind, bottom line is, do you like what the shot is doing to you? if you can bear it for a little while longer, and your tests stay normal, it may normalize after the next few months (they say it takes at least 3 months for your body to adjust). if you can't, ask them to change it but know that you will have the effects of the shot for about another month, each shot is 3 months worth of hormones. its up to you. i know i couldn't take the appetite decreases which progressed to vomiting (again not from depo). on depo, i couldn't take the 6 months or so of continous bleeding so i switched. there is a birth control out there that is right for you, it is just a matter of finding it which may take some time. good luck!
0 Replies

missifu01

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 05:35 am
The thing is that the shot is great to prevent you from getting pregnant. My cousin got pregnant four times while she was one the pill, and they all; resulted in miscarriages. She took the shot and not once. On the other hand, it says possible break through bleeding, but for me it was constant bleeding for three straight months. Since you've already taken it, the side effect are going to continue for the full three months. My Dr. did the same thing. I told him that I wanted to switch to something else because I can't handle the constant bleeding, but he recommended that I take the shot again because it's suppose to stop after the first month. The reality is that no matter what the doctors says, its your body. Research other methods and decide which is best for you. Has anyone had any experience with IUDs that would be able to tell me about it.
0 Replies

awtroia

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:42 pm
I would advise against using Depo. I was on the shot for abouth three years back when they said weight gain would be about 5 lbs. They didn't mention that it was 5lbs with EACH SHOT. They also now warn not to use it for a prolonged period of time (www.depoprovera.com).

Everyone that I know that used the shot for a while had significant weight gain. In my case it was about 45lbs (which I ended up losing slowly after the shot got out of my system).

At first, the shot was great. I stopped getting my period immediately and there were no side effects at first. As the drug built up in my system, I started having bad, bad problems and it didn't even dawn on me that it might be the shot until I researched hair loss (a side effect for me) on a website.

My many side effects included: hair loss, weight gain, constant headaches, mood swings, terrible muscle and joint aches and pains, and severe fatigue (I would come home from work, take a two hour nap, go to bed early and sleep for 12 hours. I cried every day on my way to work because I was exhausted and achy and didn't know how I was going to make it through another day).

It took a very long time for my body to kick it out of my system (it's stored in fat). I would say it was at least two years before I felt "normal" again. My hair still hasn't grown back as thick as it was, but it's at a point where I can live with it.

I would suggest you read the side effects, and discuss the long term effects with your doctor.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:09 am
Quote:
Everyone that I know that used the shot for a while had significant weight gain. In my case it was about 45lbs (which I ended up losing slowly after the shot got out of my system).

...and everyone I know (and that's a lot of military girls being I lived in a barracks full of girls) did not have that problem. The weight gain for them was no different than regular birth control or a result of other things. As the doctor would always tell me, the weight doesn't come on overnight, ...so it's nothing you can't see and take care of with lifestyle changes. This was our experience. We always talked about how we loved depo. Smile Who wants a period?! Wink
0 Replies

epicproductions

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:08 am
Deprovera, history will prove...STERILIZES GENERATIONS OF WO
I found this web site trying to prove a point to a friend. They use deprovera as a B/control and has regular three monthly shots...

Today, I have talked her out of using the drug,
I was unaware of this website...and feel very strongly about this drug...

It affected my life since 1986 and I only had one injection....

ONE

I took the injection two weeks before I went to India...I also took two viles to be injected during my nine month stay....

My reasoning for using it was hygenine and health rather than a Birth control...The MORNING I arrived in Delhi ....the Indian Times ran an a FRONTPAGE article about the World Health Organisation speaking out about banning the use of this drug in Third World Countries....

I smashed the Viles that night....

Eighteen months later I had to have a curet to start my periods again....
Since then I have overian syssts.....and can not fall pregnant.....

What I have found out since then...

* the doctor in 1986 never told me that the drug at that time...and I am not sure of now was never listed as a birth control drug in australia....
* there are people who in the years prior to 1990 that were organised against this drug in australia....they are gone...their voices silenced...
* The Australian government used this drug against the aboriginal people for many year......this drug was administed to girls as young as 10...
* Check out the fertility rate of Australian aboriginals...
* can it cause Cancer.....the prolonged use...
* does it sterilize....
* forget the weight girls.....

THIS IS MASS STERILEZATION....

I hope I have made you think some more about this drug...
It is not worth is....JUST SAY NO.....
Very Happy
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:48 am
There are million of sites protesting and swearing against a million drugs, religions, theories, history, etc...

The FACT is... if that many people have DIED ("been silenced"), got cancer, etc, etc ....it would not be so widely recommended as a FIRST choice for gals who can't remember to take a pill every day (like myself).

jm2c.
0 Replies

boozybird

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:36 pm
Deprovera
I am 20 years old and have been on these shots since i was 17 and since being on them have gained about 4 and a half stone in weight!! so when they say slight weight gain they are lying! Yeah they are great for the fact of the 'freedom' aspect of everything but not having periods isn't natural.
I have now come off them and am hoping all the weight (which again i hope is fluid retention due to not having periods) which i have gained will go! if anyone has been on these and had a similar experience and has come off them could you please let me know if you got rid of your weight and after how long??
0 Replies

Gasweetpea69

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:52 pm
Re: Deprovera
polly2003 wrote:
I took the Deprovera injection in June 2002. After taking it I suffered chronic anxiety and depression. I still have not got my periods back normally. Does anyone have the same problem. I would really appreciate some info on how to cope and deal with the aftermath of this lethal injection.

HI there, not sure i will be alot of help, how long were you on the shot? i am curious about a few things myself, i got a shot in march 2005, and it was the only one i had, but ever since then i have felt bad, sick all the time, tired, headaches, i wasnt told anything about the drug at all, as i had to take it due to endometriosis found. i was told it would be out of my system as long as i wouldnt get another shot. then a dr told me yesterday it could take up to 6 months to work out of my system, i havent read anything good about it. i also worry now it could make it hard for me to get pregnant again, i am 37 and thats hard enough age to get preg, so having to deal with anything harder is frustrating and most of the time i want to cry. I am sick on my stomach all the time, and my stomach is sensitive. my lower back kills me, and i have either no period or bleed for 30- 35 days. so i would love anyone who could tell me something reassuring as well.
0 Replies

brooklyn

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:39 pm
i got the shot in july of 05. It is now november and i am still spotting every day. i have gained 15 lbs. i am miserable and nobody can take my mood swings anymore. i just want my life back after all of this.
0 Replies

jenuhfuh

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:54 pm
i just got the shot about a month ago.... i totally skipped my period which i was psyched about since my doctor told me i would be period free as long as i was on it.... until about 3 weeks ago i started my period and havent stopped since!!! after reading some of these posts about girls that have had their periods for months at a time.... IM HORRIFIED!!! what have i gotten myself into!????
0 Replies

v sanoja2

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:20 pm
Sterile
I've heard that people become sterile by using Depo for a long period of time.. does anyone have any statistics or anything on this?
0 Replies

salima a2k

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 06:36 am
Depo
I had the depo injection for about 2 years from 1999 till 2001 and i stoped in 2001 when i got married. I didnt want to risk having kids before marriage. But it has now been 4 years and i havent got pregant yet. So i am not sure it was a good idea for me to take that injection. And i am not sure if i will be able to concive. But i hope to god i can. Sad
0 Replies

salima a2k

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 06:57 am
I had the depo injection for about 2 years from 1999 till 2001 and i stoped in 2001 when i got married. I didnt want to risk having kids before marriage. But it has now been 4 years and i havent got pregant yet. So i am not sure it was a good idea for me to take that injection. And i am not sure if i will be able to concive. But i hope to god i can.
0 Replies

shelek

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:59 pm
Think about it
Hello,
I am a 24 year old girl who's been on her period for oh, about 14 months now. I've been on BCPs since I was 15 (scary history of ovarian cancer as well as some nasty ovarian cysts). Until recently, I could use a particular pill for about 2-3 years before I'd have consistent breakthrough bleeding... then I would switch to a new one and all would be right in the world. For the past 14 months, however, I've tried to switch but to no avail; after 9 clean days, I'm back to the feminine protection. It's pretty gross. My ob/gyn suggested I hit the shot to minimize my constant flow, but I'm hesitant-- due to my family history, I would like to have children in the next 3 years, and I'm afraid of not being able to get pregnant. I also have the worst sex drive ever. My question: has anyone else had crappy luck with the pill? Has switching to the shot worked out? I kind of like having a normal period (back when I did Confused ) because it's like a free pregnancy test, but I'll happily trade it in if it means no more incessant bleeding.

Oh, for those of you looking for statistics: the first place you should start is the drug manufacturer's site. In the drug info there is ALWAYS lots of stats from the clinical trials. While the source of the data is somewhat biased, the drug companies do have to go through rigorous testing to get anything on the shelves (or in the doctor's hand). You can also google search or check out any reliable medical journal to see if there are any new findings available, especially concerning long term effects, increased risk of cancer, effectiveness of calcium supplements, etc. Happy hunting. Smile
0 Replies

Limbler

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:33 pm
I was on depo for a year with no side effects what so ever, and then went off it for about 8 months. I tried it again about 12 months ago and had two injections.

Now I have little to no sex-drive (which is driving my fiancee batty, and our relationship is suffering because of it), I still haven't had a period. It's been around 6 months since my last injection. All I want to know is will my body return to normal eventually?

I realize that people will point me too my doctor, but I really just want some hope that I can have a healthy body, as well as a healthy relationship again soon.
0 Replies