wenchilina

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:31 am
Re: Bad experience with Depo
skoobi wrote:
a period is a natural thing

You want natural? Then get pregnant EVERY time you release an egg... then we'll talk about NATURAL.

What is natural about releasing an egg and thickening linings and then NOT getting pregnant, consequently ridding yourself of all that PREP work?
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 10:56 am
depo
some people love it but, some hate it. my best friend is on depo because she is in remission for breast cancer, she hate it but it is the only form of bc she can use. she hasn't had her period in a year, and she gets hot flashes all of the time. she is only 22 hot flashes at that age are very annoying.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:16 am
wenchilina, there is actually a lot of evidence that menstruation does serve an important purpose.

Quote:
Menstruation has been proven as an adaptation. The problem for which it is the solution and the specific mechanisms that cause it have been determined. But how exactly does it work? Menstruation appears to help protect the uterus against pathogens by two primary methods: mechanical and immunological.

As mentioned before, menstruation results when the spiral arteries cut off blood supply to endometrial tissue and then abruptly dilate. This first kills the tissue and then loosens it, causing it to shed. In this way menstrual blood physically removes potentially infected uterine tissue and flushes it away (the reason the blood must not coagulate quickly). It seems likely that if this was the only method of ridding the uterus of unwanted tissue, the body would use a less valuable substance than blood (i.e., water). However, the nonwater content of menstrual blood is only about a third less than that of venous blood (Büssing, 1957). Therefore, the important question is why blood is preferred.

Profet suggests many reasons why blood could be considered advantageous. It serves as a vehicle for large concentrations of leukocytes to be delivered to bacteria-infested endometrial tissue. Leukocytes will phagocytize both pathogens and infected necrotic tissue. It also contains complement, a component of blood that destroys many different types of pathogens. There is evidence that menstrual blood contains many more compounds than venous blood (Alsawaf and Tu, 1985). Although many of them have yet to be identified, there is a possibility that they could have antipathogen applications. She also suggests that menstrual blood may help protect the oviducts. In one study, the phenomenon known as retrograde menstruation, in which menstrual blood flows up into the fallopian tubes (oviducts) and into the pelvic cavity, was observed in 76% of the test subjects (Liu and Hitchcock, 1986).

More:

http://www.lifesci.utexas.edu/courses/mcmurry/spring98/20/profet.html
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 01:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
wenchilina, there is actually a lot of evidence that menstruation does serve an important purpose.

Quote:
Menstruation has been proven as an adaptation. The problem for which it is the solution and the specific mechanisms that cause it have been determined. But how exactly does it work? Menstruation appears to help protect the uterus against pathogens by two primary methods: mechanical and immunological.

As mentioned before, menstruation results when the spiral arteries cut off blood supply to endometrial tissue and then abruptly dilate. This first kills the tissue and then loosens it, causing it to shed. In this way menstrual blood physically removes potentially infected uterine tissue and flushes it away (the reason the blood must not coagulate quickly). It seems likely that if this was the only method of ridding the uterus of unwanted tissue, the body would use a less valuable substance than blood (i.e., water). However, the nonwater content of menstrual blood is only about a third less than that of venous blood (Büssing, 1957). Therefore, the important question is why blood is preferred.

Profet suggests many reasons why blood could be considered advantageous. It serves as a vehicle for large concentrations of leukocytes to be delivered to bacteria-infested endometrial tissue. Leukocytes will phagocytize both pathogens and infected necrotic tissue. It also contains complement, a component of blood that destroys many different types of pathogens. There is evidence that menstrual blood contains many more compounds than venous blood (Alsawaf and Tu, 1985). Although many of them have yet to be identified, there is a possibility that they could have antipathogen applications. She also suggests that menstrual blood may help protect the oviducts. In one study, the phenomenon known as retrograde menstruation, in which menstrual blood flows up into the fallopian tubes (oviducts) and into the pelvic cavity, was observed in 76% of the test subjects (Liu and Hitchcock, 1986).

More:

http://www.lifesci.utexas.edu/courses/mcmurry/spring98/20/profet.html

What that describes is a function that is necessary because you DIDN'T follow through and get pregnant. So essentially minus the prep work to release an ovum = minus the lining that study uses.

There is also nothing unhealthy about NOT menstruating.

Unless you consider reducing the risk of ovarian and uterine cancers, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), endometriosis, and several other serious health conditions unhealthy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:50 pm
wenchilina, do you have links for any of that? (Lack of menstruation reducing the risk...)

The short version of the above (more in the link I provided) is that menstruation is a way of ridding the uterus of pathogens.
0 Replies

LISSALV

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 05:19 pm
fire_n_skye wrote:
I am well was on deprovera. I stopped because I went from 130lbs to 180lbs.. which I am currently. I also suffer from mild depression the shot aggrevates it. I haven't had a shot since march 2003 and I have yet to loose the weight or get my period back.

I did love not getting my period while I was on the shot. :wink:

WILL TAKE UP TO 1 YR TO GET PERIOD BACK...ANY BIRTH CONTROLL.

PILL, SHOT,ECT..WILL CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN
GOOD LUCK IT WILL GET BETTER HOPEFULY
0 Replies

LISSALV

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 05:22 pm
cememesmom1 wrote:
Does anyone know how long it may take in order to get pregnant after taking the shot? I was surposed to get my last injection on july 8,2003 but I decided not to. I plan on having more children soon. If someone can please give me some info i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
meme's mom

UP TO A YEAR DEPENDS ON PERSON. MY SISTER GOT PREG WITHIN 6 MONTHS..GOOD LUCK
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:48 pm
Without pointing fingers, I would like to remind anyone reading this thread that definitive statements should be backed up with medical proof.
0 Replies

Nathalie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:48 am
I had my depro in Oct 02 and had my last in april 03 - can someone please tell me WHEN your periods actually get back to normal - or even existence, i've not had one since Oct 2002!!!!

I came off it like most of you said, due to the side effects - lack of libido, depression, weight gain and the terrible moods swings! I just hope i've not done myself some serious damage - i've not lost any of the weight and that my periods have totally disappeared and i'm scared Crying or Very sad that when they do come back its going to be awful i.e heavy etc when they used to be just fine and dandy before DEPRO!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:49 pm
Nathalie ~ welcome to A2K and thanks for posting.

From everything I've read or been told by other patients who've received the shot, the experience is different for everyone.

Have you talked to your gyn about this? I would start there. Good luck and please let us know how you're doing!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:17 am
You know Rae - I experienced one of the WORST weight gains
in the history of mankind when I quit smoking - over 10 years
ago. Yet the weight remains. While reading all these wonderful
success stories of women having their stomach stapled, or
banded ...it occurred to me that the end result in EITHER case
was to shrink the stomach. The average stomach can hold
about 2 cups of food. However, if you overeat too often - that
stomach can hold 4 cups - in fact, a study showed that most obese
persons had stomachs that could easily hold 4 cups of food.
So, instead of dieting, I am working to shrink my stomach.
From looking it up on the net ..... I found that a person can
shrink their stomach by TWO-THIRDS IN ONE MONTH - just by
eating 6 small mini meals per day for a month. Two thirds is alot
to accomplish in 1 month. So - I figure that alternating between
days of fasting & of clear liquids only should result in getting
my stomach capacity down to one cup. Eating any more than
that causes discomfort - so it's far easier to stick to eating based
on the "cup size" of the meal. A container of fat free yogurt is
1 cup. A tiny little steak with veggies is about 1 cup. When I
fix my oatmeal, I only use a half cup of oatmeal now - and it
fills me up. I WAS eating one cup of oats, which after adding
water and cooking was over 2 cups of food. Besides, with all
of these stupid diets...I just got to thinking that it is not exactly
WHAT you eat....altho that matters too, but keeping the stomach
shrunk down to a 1 cup capacity - seems to me to be the exact
thing doctors are doing with stomach stapling and banding,
except that BOTH of these are dangerous; medical procedures.
In Mexico, they have the simple, uncomplicated intragastric
balloon. This has the same effect, but it is put in very simply
via an endoscopy. So there is no need for surgery or risk.
The worst thing that can happen is that the balloon pops, but
even that is totally non dangerous to your health.
I have a great deal of trouble understanding WHY- when this
simple & safe procedure can do the same thing as surgical gastric
bypass - why is it not available here in the US?? They do them
in Mexico all the time.
Anyway, all I can say is that this seems to be working for me
right now, I can't believe how easy it has been to shrink my
own stomach.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 08:56 am
sozobe wrote:
wenchilina, do you have links for any of that? (Lack of menstruation reducing the risk...)

The short version of the above (more in the link I provided) is that menstruation is a way of ridding the uterus of pathogens.

Look for Dr Joellen Schildkraut's work at the Duke University Medical Center.

Clinical Proceedings, Choosing When to Menstruate: The Role of Extended Contraception
from Susan Wysocki, RN-C, NP, president and CEO of NPWH... " There is no medical reason for this withdrawal bleed " in re: the pill's placebo week.

The short version describes exactly what I said with some very shakey suggestions tossed in - ironic she fails to take into account the very microorganisms she's reviewing that happen to take quite the liking to mentruation blood.

A woman's belief her period is a necessity is a cultural reflection of longterm misinformation.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:56 am
everyone Iv'e known who's gone on Depo Provera has experienced complications (that's 5 people) by way of bleeding all of the time instead of none of the time. It doesn't always happen in the beginning, sometimes it happens later, and it can't be stopped for 3 months b/c it's already in your body. I hated it, I strongy recommend stoping it. It also has been known to contribute to depression.

For birth control, I recommned the nuva ring. It's a ring inserted into the vagina once a month, that just gets left there. Because it's right near the source, it releases less estrogen. This makes it less risky and it has less side effects. It is not difficult to insert, the birth control is a flexible plastic ring inserted into the vagina, and it surrounds the opening to the cervix, and it slowly releases the birth control. You take it out, menstruate, then put another one in.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:01 am
everyone Iv'e known who's gone on Depo Provera has experienced complications (that's 5 people) by way of bleeding all of the time instead of none of the time. It doesn't always happen in the beginning, sometimes it happens later, and it can't be stopped for 3 months b/c it's already in your body. I hated it, I strongy recommend stoping it. It also has been known to contribute to depression.

For birth control, I recommned the nuva ring. It's a ring inserted into the vagina once a month, that just gets left there. Because it's right near the source, it releases less estrogen. This makes it less risky and it has less side effects. It isn't difficult to insert, the birth control-e sticks the flexible plastic ring up into her vagina, and it surrounds the opening to the cervix, and it slowly releases the birth control.
0 Replies

mommabug

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:20 pm
symptoms to the shot
I was on the shot about a 1year &1/2 ago. I had no trouble at all. No weight gain, and no period. I heard that it would be hard to get pregnant if I kept on with the shot. Well, six months later I got pregnant. After having my daughter I chose to get the shot once more. I am now having certain symptoms. I feel like I'm hungry all the time(more than usual I think) I feel sick all the time. I have never bleed as much as I am now and I am craping terribly. Are there any suggestions for another birth control?

Mommabug
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 11:54 pm
Two month update, for those interested.....

I've had one 'normal' period, and 'spotting' for about a week last month. No weight gain (have lost weight actually), no depression, no headaches.

Mommabug ~ welcome to A2K. I recommend talking to your gyn about other options for birth control. For me, the next option will be tubal ligation ~ once I have insurance again.

Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 05:04 pm
hmm... I don't know if Nuva ring can be used on those who have been pregnant. Best ask your gynecologist about the options.
0 Replies

purpleone

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:33 am
Depo
I was on Depo for over a year. I put on 20 pounds and now have a menstrual cycle from hell. When I got off of it I didn't have a period for awhile and went to the Doctor and was told I had a cyst the size of when you are 10 weeks pregnant. The Depo is okay for some people but it seems that the longer you take it the worse the symptoms get. Each person is different the main thing is just make sure you talk to your Doctor if you have any question.
0 Replies

jetozzi

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 07:14 am
Depo Shot
I am 32 had a baby in sept of 2002, I got the depo shot 2 days later, the last time I took the shot was March 03 and i have been a mess. I am 30 lbs overweight, my whole life I was a size 2, 108lbs and now I am starving all the time, I eat good things too and limit myself to only eating the best of foods, and I workout regularly but cannot drop the weight.

but the part that is the worst is the period. I spotted the entire month of May and then nothing until August 29, I was excited b/c I thought I was finally getting a normal cycle but to my surprise I got my period again 2 weeks later had it for 4/5 days and guess what I woke up with it again today, 1 week later. I am lossing my mind with this. luckily I have no cramps but I think that was a result of having a baby.

I hate the shot, it changed me in many ways, I am looking forward to being a "normal" person again. my doc said give it until December and things should be back to normal by then - I am patiently waiting for December and am very frustrated that this even occured. but also am dissapointed that none of this information was provided when I took the shot. I read everything regarding the shot and nothing was there about what to expect after stopping the shot - very dissapointing. thanks for listening.
0 Replies

dragon25

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 03:29 pm
need help...
Hi!! Very Happy How's it goin? On September 11, I went to the doctor and got the Deprovera shot, my first shot. Then I had sexual intercourse on Sept. 13 and the condom broke. Shocked Now, my questions are, after you get the shot how long does it take to take effect, to prevent pregnancy? Surprised Is there a possibility for me to get/be pregnant? Can you get pregnant while having your shot in your system? Is it possible? So if for example, I had sex after a week with the shot in my system w/out using any protection can I get pregnant? I went and got the shot on my 7th day of my period, in other words I was clean. I started on Sept. 4 at 9:30am and finished my period on Sept. 10-11, I was clean by the 11th. Confused I heard its effective immediately if you get the shot while having your period, is that true? I went to the website and read info. but I am still confused. Sorry, I am asking too many question is my first time using the shot. Thank you. Very Happy
0 Replies