largemarge

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:17 pm
depo
i haven't got the depo shot yet but i am suppose to start it soon. i wanted to get on lunelle but was unable to get the prescription filled. my nurse suggested the depo shot instead. i cant take birth control pills because it caused me to have horrible stomach problems. i was told that the shots don't cause as much problems because you aren't digesting it. after reading all the post i am scared to death of taking it. i weigh 170 as is and don't want to gain anymore weight. however i don't want anymore kids right now. the 3 people i know that were on the shot all had different things to say about it. one friend said she got cists from it, another friend bleed everyday for almost a year, and my sister in law didn't have a period for 6 years and had no other problems. all 3 of them were able to have kids after they got off the shot but all 3 of them also had miscarriages first. i don't understand why doctors recommend the shot if so many people have negative things to say about it. i just want to be able to enjoy my now 2 year relationship without getting pregnant. what am i to do?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:39 pm
I know a lovely young lady who was on depo for over a year. One day she began having pains and bloating. Then she suffered nausea. The doctors thought she had a tumor. It took them quite some time to discover she was pregnant. The baby is now 2 years old. Be careful!
0 Replies

largemarge

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 11:09 pm
i talked to another girl i know who was on the shot. she lost 25 lbs in the first 6 months of being on it, she didnt have 25 lbs to spare. she even had problems once she was off of it. her boyfriend commented on how he couldnt believe it was still on the market. i guess the only thing i can do is try it. hopefully 1 use wont be too harmful.
0 Replies

jeanie508

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:05 am
chulabonita619 wrote:
i went on the depo shot in january, doc said that i couldn't get pregnant for 90 days, i conceived my daughter in Febuary. unfortunately, due to depo, my daughter developed a disformation, then passed away at 6 months gestation... then i was left with paying for my little angels funeral... i advise EVERYONE who goes on the shot to also use other forms of protection also... i wouldn't wish what I'm going through on anyone.

you know i cant say that i know what you've been through but it scares me because I'm due for my next shot the 3rd of january and i don't know i haven't had my period which i heard that happens sometimes and i just feel awkward like i might be pregnant and I'm scared. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Mocha31

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:37 pm
depo
Rolling Eyes This is my first month and the shot and I have noticed a number of changes from extended heavy periods, crazy mood swings, headaches, increase in appetite, thinning hair and always being tired. I don't think I will be continuing with this shot. My period has been on for almost a month now!!
0 Replies

jeanie508

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:09 am
you know i have a friend when she first got the shot and she had her period for 3 months straight until she decided to get off of it to have a baby. i personally had my shot oct 1 or something like that and haven't had a period since
0 Replies

mokyhoky

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:21 am
Depo
I got my first shot in March 2006..(I was 16 at the time) First 3 months I bled EVERY day, and like someone else has described: Not heavy enough to wear a tampon, but heavy enough not to wear one. I took my 2nd shot in June, and started to bleed in July, and bled and spotted up until my 3rd shot in September. I immediately stopped bleeding all together right up until the day before I got my 4th and most recent shot. That was the 2nd of December. It's now the 21st and I'm beginning to spot again.

I just wanted to post that so some other ladies can see if their cases are similar to mine. On the shot itself, I have not gained any substantial weight, I get mild mood swings, but when I get them, I always know why, and so does my boyfriend, so it's not big deal. The only biggie is this weird abnormal random bleeding. Every time I go in for a shot, my doc just tells me that it will eventually stop and that my body is still adjusting. Other than that, I love it.
0 Replies

mbrislove

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 09:15 am
Nasty Side Effects.
I'm 16 years old, and I got the shot for the first time last month.

I used to have a three day, no PMS period.

This month I had a seven day period, with the worst PMS I have ever experienced.

I knew that the shot was supposed to make you gain weight, so I've been working out. If you work out and eat right, it's not a big deal.

I can't decide if I'm going to take it again next time. I'm just a little too slow to remember to take a pill every day.

I heard from my OB-GYN that it is the most effective birth control. But, it still is not 100%.

A friend of mine, whose girlfriend took the shot, told me that his girlfriend no longer wanted to be intimate after the shot.

I have not experienced that particular side effect.
0 Replies

susziQ

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:39 pm
Tubal ligation
For those of you who keep mentioning tubal ligation like it is the best choice, I would like to inform you of a few things you may not know. First of all, most women experience much heavier periods after a tubal. Secondly, your tubes can grow back together and you can get pregnant. I know from first hand experience. I had a tubal after my son was born in Feb. 2003. My periods were so much worse after that. EVERYONE I have talked to agrees that their periods are worse. I also recently got pregnant in October of this year. I miscarried after 6 weeks, but I did get pregnant. I have heard of this happening to two people that I know personally. I also know a lot of women who didn't get pregnant, but I just wanted to let you guys know what I found out the hard way.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 09:17 pm
Sorry, susziQ Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

sraspeling

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:10 am
Feeling Great
I have come off the shot last august, and am feeling great. I am not sure if anyone else felt it, but i always felt bloated. Never mind always wanting to pop food into your mouth whether you were hungry or not. I am now using other contraceptive methods and am enjoying getting my body back to normal. I was on the shot for 8 years.
0 Replies

az19rox

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:29 am
side effects
i got my 1st shot about two months ago and since then i too have been very lethargic and had major head aches and horrible stomach/ abdominal pains along with constantly bleeding. not heavy but enough to be annoyed. I'm done with this thing!!! i only chose to get on it because i just had a baby and i'm a single mom who gets bad cramps with my monthly visit so i decided to get on the shot to avoid the pms and crud to be more fun with my baby...but screw this! i am tired of hurting all day and feeling too tired to even play with my daughter. as for your dr you should ask your other girlfriends for referrals...don't trust your health to someone you don't feel comfortable with and that doesn't go the extra mile to make your health feel as if it is priority
0 Replies

az19rox

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:30 am
crappy side effects holly
i got my 1st shot about two months ago and since then i too have been very lethargic and had major head aches and horrible stomach/ abdominal pains along with constantly bleeding. not heavy but enough to be annoyed. I'm done with this thing!!! i only chose to get on it because i just had a baby and i'm a single mom who gets bad cramps with my monthly visit so i decided to get on the shot to avoid the pms and crud to be more fun with my baby...but screw this! i am tired of hurting all day and feeling too tired to even play with my daughter. as for your dr you should ask your other girlfriends for referrals...don't trust your health to someone you don't feel comfortable with and that doesn't go the extra mile to make your health feel as if it is priority
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:59 am
az 19 prox
As I've always stated ~ speak with your doctor. And make sure he/she listens and answers your questions.
We've had a wide array of yes and no comments on this subject. And I believe the nays outweigh the yeahs.
If it's not working for you, find another kind of contraceptive or abstain. What other choice do women have?
Good luck to you!
Rae
0 Replies

kezz18

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 04:39 am
depo
hi

ive been on depo for 8 months just comin up to having my 4th shot and ive started to have sore ish but more swollen boobs. they have grown!! they arent tender at all really, just grown!! is this normal? i had sex about a month ago and they grew about 3 weeks after. i have had sex a few times since being on the depo. and just now my boobs have grown. any one else experienced this??
0 Replies

TCaris

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 12:03 pm
IUD, tubal ligation and the pill
One year ago I had an IUD put in. The dr. not taking a pregnancy test prior, terminated me at two and half mos preg. I then had my tubes tied during the removal of the IUD and for one year suffered tremendously like nothing I've experienced before. My hormones were messed up and not one dr. would believe me. They all wanted to put me on Zolof. I went to an internal med. dr. to make sure that I did not have an auto immune disorder and that was ruled out. I knew whatever it was, was hormonal and caused by the tubal. I had HEAVY, LONG periods. Chest and back pains. My skin was dry and ich. I had headaches, was exhausted all the time. My moods were out of control. Facial hair that was just embarrassing and sweating for no apparent reason. I felt allergic to my own body. Finally one dr. did hormone testing (trying to find one dr to do that was unbelievable) and I had an excessive amount of testosterone an no estrogen or progesterone being produced. I was then put on a birth control pill (funny because I had a tubal done) and I bled for more than a month straight, heavy. I was exhausted and was not going to accept the fact that a tubal caused this and now I have to be on a pill and suffer more. Needless to say I found a Dr. in FL to do a reversal after doing endless amounts of research on the computer in regards to what a tubal can cause and what the outcome may be and why don't the dr.s want to admit to the fact that tubals, pills may cause much more than they recognize. I will not go on the pill again and have read about the other forms of bc and are very reluctant to use them. I can't imagine what I have already done to my body long term in that one year and now I can't think of going on BC because of the short and long term effect that it may cause.
0 Replies

Seanyban

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:46 pm
Help Me!
Just wondering if any one can help me. I was on the depro for a year my last shot was nov 2006 which would of taken me up to feb 07 i have not yet got a period and am quite concerned... Have had sex but thought we were always careful. Now am worried i am pregnant is this possible if my periods have not yet returned.
0 Replies

Kat19

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 11:28 am
It's normal to not have your period yet. I've read different things and some say it can take about 4 months to return, one article said up to a year. You're most likely not pregnant, but if it would make you feel any better, take a pregnancy test. I just recently decided to go off the shot and don't really know what to expect. It worked out great for me. They very first day i got it was in March of 06. I was in the middle of my period and literally hours after I got the shot, my period disappeared and never returned for the time that I was on it. My last shot was due June 2nd, but I decided to go off of it for 2 reasons: 1. I have no sex drive....I was INSATIABLE before the shot and now have the sex drive of a houseplant. 2. I have recently lost 26lbs due to rigorous exercise and healthy eating choices but my appetite is still TREMENDOUS and my weight loss has stopped. I still have about 15lbs to go and want it GONE. I don't really know which method to choose now...I LOVED not ever having a period.
0 Replies

briggsy69er

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 05:26 am
COULD I BE PREGNANT? my last shot was jan the 8the. i got my period back on the 30the 0f april and have been having unprotected sex my period was due on the 1st of june it hasnt apierd yet but i had a period like pain on the 30the of may. i took a pregnancy test on the 2nd of june it was negative but it could have been to early to take it. i have had some pregnancy like symptos.
0 Replies

bebegirl

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 11:21 am
Depo
silenttears wrote:
I started depovera about 2 weeks ago. I got the shot for my first time..on the day my period had just started. A day later..My period dissapeared. Well..Now I got my period again...i think. Ive been bleeding really heavily for the past 5 days..it hasnt slowed down a bit. when I normally have my period its never this heavy. I have really bad cramps also. I wonder if its a side effect from the depo. I hope it goes away! Is anyone else having this problem?? Shocked

Hi there, Let me tell you, I just got on the Depo again today Sad Im kind of scared about it, because I had took it about 5 years ago and the hole 3 months I was on my period Sad yea, I waigh about 105 befor the shot, and after the 3 months of bleeding i was on 94 pounds... so no i don't think every one gains waigh... well I also have a problem with endromiteoses.. I can't aford to have sergery, and i don't have Ins. so for the last 6 months my dr. put me on this pill >>NORETHINDRONE<< well it worked for me wonderfully, i have not have any periods and that was the goal to cure the endromiteoses, but the pill for 1 month is $170 dollars. Sad so i just could not aford it anymore.. the dr told me hed like to try the shot again, only $70 for 3 months compare at $170 a month well hallo i sed yes ill give it a try again.. im scared about it, but i really have no other shoice, and any other birth control pill ive tryed and ive had so many sideffects is not even funny, anyhow i know what your going trew and im so sory to hear whats hapening with you... but as i read in here, everyone is difrent and med afects everybody difrently so as for me i pray it works this time, and the sad thing is, is not for me to take care of my self to not have any more babys, because my husband is fixed.. but is for the darn endromitioses ....... thanks for reading this and best to all of yall.... and good luck.!
0 Replies