Are you asleep?

okie

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 05:18 am
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Those oil field jobs I mentioned earlier, for instance, aren't even requiring a GED if the person can read, follow directions, and do simple math.

I don't know you at all- and I personally don't attribute negative characteristics to people until I know them- but this strikes me as condescending. And the reason it does is because it seems to say to me that you believe certain people should just be satisfied with a certain job. It seems to me that you're saying that certain people should just be happy to put a cap on their ambition or dreams for college and an education (because they don't have the money for it) and settle for a GED, $25 an hour, with little hope of advancement but lots of overtime.

No, what it seems to say is do not demand society pay 100% for and hand an executive's job into everyones lap that happens to demand it. It seems to say, quit whinin. It seems to say there are jobs out there besides McDonalds that pay more money if you are willing to work. Oil field jobs are hard work. I doubt it has glamor as does other jobs, such as perhaps being a rock star or professional sports player, and I doubt the schools barely mention such jobs, which is truly unfortunate. It is unfortunate that the truly unsung heros in this society are exactly those people that work such jobs as the oil fields. The suggestion that somebody could work such a job would be considered condescending, says alot about society in general, and it isn't good. I have personally worked around the oil field guys, and I am here to tell you one thing, they may not all be polished and cultural icons, but they are heros, they are indispensable to society, and they could teach lots of people lots of things. I would suggest LockeD might benefit greatly by testing himself in that environment for a while. It might be one big wake-up call. And it might reveal just who is asleep.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 05:24 am
That's not at all what I meant.
I have respect for anyone who works hard in any job.
I just think it's important to remember that when we look at people who are in different situations than we are in, it's condescending to automatically assume their dreams for their lives are any less or different.

Quote:

I would suggest LockeD might benefit greatly by testing himself in that environment for a while. It might be one big wake-up call. And it might reveal just who is asleep.

I think you're right. It was after a summer of cleaning hotel rooms that I decided I better get my butt back in school.

You know everyone has a point of view-and all of them can be right (or wrong) in certain respects.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 05:49 am
lots of interesting posts and opinions here, some hilarious.

For instance.... I'm sure that in Oklahoma you can live on 25K a year if you shop at Goodwill. I've been to Oklahoma. Not too enticing a scenario there. Laughing I'm sure I could live well in Mexico on 10K a year, but I'd be in Mexico. Get that point?

I have been broke in my life and I've made money by the bucketful at times as well. Now squinney and I currently enjoy an income not as high as we did at the peak of our earning power but between double and triple the national average.

That's not the main thing though. the main thing is that we have mostly, I'd say 85% of our working lives worked at what WE WANTED to do, not some drudgery involving time clocks and being at the mercy of some middle management azzhole's whims.

After losing damn near everything in 2005, we dug back in and in 18 months were back in a nice home with a nice income and back to our lives. Money and the security it brings is the easiest thing in the world to obtain if you're willing to apply the discipline necessary to get it.

That's not as important as enjoying your life though. Life is short. Spend it doing what you like, don't worry about what that pays, and do as you like for the main part.

No one has ever seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 05:56 am
aidan, thanks for the nice response. Some people take offense at my abrupt style of driving home a point that needs to be made. One thing that continually drives me batty on this forum is what I would label the "woe is me" atttitude. So I try to balance that.

I think I understand what you are trying to say. Everyone needs higher goals and dreams, but down and dirty hard work is sometimes the best medicine, and a person working their way up the ladder is more profitable than that person standing at the bottom and wondering why they can't be as high on the ladder as those they are watching above them.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 05:59 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

That's not as important as enjoying your life though. Life is short. Spend it doing what you like, don't worry about what that pays, and do as you like for the main part.

Amen to that.

As an addendum to my above post, instead of yearning for the top rung of the ladder, I bet there are lots of interesting and enjoyable things down at the bottom if a person looks around and recognizes them. Lots of flowers, scenery, etc., etc. Try to enjoy where you are, no matter where you are, or what rung of the ladder it might be. The view from there is always unique and can be enjoyed.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:27 am
okie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Amen to that.

As an addendum to my above post, instead of yearning for the top rung of the ladder, I bet there are lots of interesting and enjoyable things down at the bottom if a person looks around and recognizes them. Lots of flowers, scenery, etc., etc. Try to enjoy where you are, no matter where you are, or what rung of the ladder it might be. The view from there is always unique and can be enjoyed.

I'll add a double amen. People are truly blessed if they can make a living doing what they would enjoy doing for fun.

The point I've been trying to make is that if one's current circumstances are less than ideal, one can aspire to change them; to wit BPB's testimony. I bet a lot of positive thinking people who look for the possible can share similar stories. Some of us have been grateful for the safety nets such as workman's compensation or unemployment insurance or free clinics that help tide us over the rough times. Most of us do not expect these things to be more than temporary stopgap help however.

We have had to move when a rent house was sold out from under us and there was nowhere else to go in that place. We have had to move to find work or to move up the ladder of economic possibilities.

If one took one of those jobs in Odessa TX, you would have no scenary, little surface water, wind driven sand and gravel on too many days during the year, miserably hot summers and occasional ice storms or severe thunderstorms or even tornados. The counter balance would be good wages, reasonable job security, and some of the most pleasant people on earth who enjoy bowling and music and golf and friendly card games and backyard barbques. Not everybody's cup of tea, but quite satisfying for many.

So yes, live where you want to if you can and work at what you love if you can. The point is, do it yourself and don't look to others to pay for your chosen lifestyle. And believe that the American dream is possible for everybody willing to pay their dues to achieve it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:08 am
okie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Amen to that.

That is something that my grandfather used to tell me.

Would you rather do something for a living that makes you lots of money but also makes you misarable or would you rather do something that makes you comfortable and happy?

I will add to this. If you chose what makes you happy and can't afford to do the things you want to, then you can't complain because you made the choice.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:34 am
Baldimo wrote:
I will add to this. If you chose what makes you happy and can't afford to do the things you want to, then you can't complain because you made the choice.

I agree. Everything in life is a trade-off. Sometimes the choice is between two undesirable options, but there is ALWAYS a choice.

The problem is that there are people who want it both ways. They want to do what they want, but then complain when their choice is not giving them the lifestyle that they want.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:03 pm
aidan wrote:
That's not at all what I meant.
I have respect for anyone who works hard in any job.
I just think it's important to remember that when we look at people who are in different situations than we are in, it's condescending to automatically assume their dreams for their lives are any less or different.

Quote:

I would suggest LockeD might benefit greatly by testing himself in that environment for a while. It might be one big wake-up call. And it might reveal just who is asleep.

I think you're right. It was after a summer of cleaning hotel rooms that I decided I better get my butt back in school.

You know everyone has a point of view-and all of them can be right (or wrong) in certain respects.

Been away doing things that had to be done. However, the statement there, made by I suppose two diffrent people is not valid. I have worked, many diffrent jobs, that require no futher education than High school, and yes I find them lacking, I'm not asleep, just busy like the rest of the world. However I find the mockery a bit childish, that says alot since I'm probly the youngest person on this part of A2K.

Food for thought.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:07 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

I agree. Everything in life is a trade-off. Sometimes the choice is between two undesirable options, but there is ALWAYS a choice.

The problem is that there are people who want it both ways. They want to do what they want, but then complain when their choice is not giving them the lifestyle that they want.

These people you are talking about, the ones who made the choice to "Trade off" for their education, are the reason that over 90% of America is in dept. That's what I'm talking about. You people are older I have some questions for you.

-Do you have a morgage?
-Do you have dept as in a loan you needed to take out?
-How many years (if applies) will it take you to get out of dept at your current income? (if you wish factor in possiblities of raises or new job opprotunities)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 03:29 pm
LockeD wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

These people you are talking about, the ones who made the choice to "Trade off" for their education, are the reason that over 90% of America is in dept. That's what I'm talking about. You people are older I have some questions for you.

-Do you have a morgage?
-Do you have dept as in a loan you needed to take out?
-How many years (if applies) will it take you to get out of dept at your current income? (if you wish factor in possiblities of raises or new job opprotunities)
0 Replies