Are you asleep?

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 04:43 pm
I think the situation for the middle and lower classes in America is apparent everywhere, however,if it's not then here is what everyone is afraid to say. Over the centuries in American Politics things have been falling in a certain line. The lower classes continue to break their backs to get by, while the upperclass continues to hold a majority of the wealth. This scares people and for one I don't blame them. An estimated eight percent of America holds eighty percent of the wealth in America. That leaves what's left over, around twenty percent of the wealth, for the majority of America. I don't know if this is right, but it doesn't seem right, everyone should be able to live confortibly, and it shouldn't be hard to do.

I have a solution, we have to fix the corruption in today's government, and that's not going to be easy; who really thinks those pocket stuffers are really going to give up what they've got going easily. The way our government works is, someone gets in office, doesn't matter which party, and this person allows corruption to seep into our system, the people get fed up and put someone into office that fixes or at leasts makes sure we don't see the state that our country is in, so we get content thinking we have some control.

However, we have no control, they have been playing this chess game, for years and years. Poor get more poor and rich get more rich, they love it! They think they've got check mate, but we know something they don't:

This has happened before, in this country! We didn't stand for it, and so the people as a whole unified to be rid of tyrency such as this, they even wrote a document we all know today: The Decoration of Independence.

I'm not saying it's as bad as it was then, however I am saying it's worse! They've got us blind to it! They've got us caught by two feelings: "I have the power to make my life better" and "It's hopeless". As long as they keep this illusion going we will let them continue on this path, unless we wake up.

Who's still sleeping?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,628 • Replies: 70
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 05:08 pm
Re: Are you asleep?
LockeD wrote:

The Decoration of Independence.

That puts things in perspective
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:43 pm
yes, kindly keep the noise down
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:06 am
ZzZz
Well, I can see people don't want to see what's wrong with today's America, holding on by a thread, middle class disappearing, people toiling to make a living. Ofcourse only a few of the people could be so observant to see the rising dept of the country much less the adverage percent of people who live here with outstanding dept. Let them own you, let them control your future, play the chess game and stay cornered without hope. That's fine with me, by time it gets really bad you'll probly be long dead so what does it matter to you? I mean it'll only affect your children's childern or thiers.

Maybe you don't see it, which would be why I'm posting here. However, my peers and I, the generation just comming out of highschool or those who've been out for a year or so, are seeing it. 2-3 jobs to get out on your own, just to make it paycheck to paycheck? Fighting to get someone to pay for your college or going into years and years of dept just to get it. This isn't right, it can't be no matter what you say.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:28 am
Perhaps you should join the military? College paid for, steady work and respect from your peers.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:39 am
That is one path, I looked into it, but you must admit it's not for everyone. Some people would like to stay civilians, stocking the shelves of your grocrey store and still make it without killing themselves paycheck to paycheck.

The whole point is even the least ambitious person deserves to make a living.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:39 am
McGentrix wrote:
Perhaps you should join the military? College paid for, steady work and respect from your peers.

And you'd get to travel, and see interesting places, too.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:40 am
One choice?
So that's one option to a person who that fits. Risk your life to earn greater knowlege. Noble, however, the threat is real the way American's presidents have been making the world look is disturbing. I'm personally not a coward, and acutally wanted to be an infantry man, but I do not have the support of my family in that path so I choose not to take it. Futhermore I don't think that as an American not joining the millitary for the reason that everyone is pissed at us and you don't want to get shot up, because an idiot in office supported or did something to piss off other countries or fractions of people would make you a coward.

I'm a simple person, perhaps a semi-complex mind, but simple at heart: I'm a warrior, not a politic type person, I'm just fed up with what I see and I'm waiting for others to see it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:01 pm
Quote:

LockeD- Really??? And why is that? And who is supposed to pay for the living of people who lack ambition????
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:28 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

LockeD- Really??? And why is that? And who is supposed to pay for the living of people who lack ambition????

If you had to stock the shelves of the stores you shopped at, would you feel ackward?

If you flipped the hambuger at McDonnalds every time you ate there, would you feel ackward?

You do pay for their living, they are doing the things that ambitious people don't want to do. However, are you paying them enough? Should they not have a place to live just because they do something you think is too lowly for you to do? Should they hovel at your feet and beg for change?

I really like you. Ignorance is a good quality keeps me popular in the forums.

Next please.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:42 pm
Everyone has a choice. No matter what your circumstances, in the US, if you have average intelligence, and some motivation and ambition, you can make out.

Quote:
I really like you. Ignorance is a good quality keeps me popular in the forums.

Sounds like you have pulled this crap elsewhere, and enjoy doing it. Well, I don't buy it!

BTW, if you are simply a provocateur, I have nothing more to say to you. Carry on! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:48 pm
Have you looked into how much financial aid you'd get if you went to college? You might not really have to go into debt to go to school, as long as you're willing to work as well as take classes (maybe. It might turn out that you'd be better off with just fin. aid than working too, since you get less aid if you're working. Something to look into).

I do know where you're coming from, as I went to work right after high school in order to live on my own. I had to work more than full-time just to make ends meet, and that was living in a teeny-tiny little crappy place, and I still could just barely cover rent. And there were absolutely no good jobs....but here's my other tip if you don't want to go to college: get a job waiting tables. Once I wised up and started waitressing, I finally was able to live well and comfortably. Way better than any other min. wage job, waaaay better.

I know your point is that things are sucky right now, and I know what you're talking about, but there are things you can do to get yourself in a better situation personally.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:51 pm
LockeD wrote:

No they don't, as a matter of fact. Those unwilling to work deserve very little. The stray cats I feed produce nothing, but because of lack of ability - not ambition.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:52 pm
Seattle Post-Intelligencer ^ | Thursday, December 14, 2006 | Matthew Benjamin
Americans overwhelmingly say the growing gap between rich and poor has become a serious national concern, a sentiment that may bolster Democrats' plans to narrow the income divide when they take control of Congress. Nearly three-quarters of Americans believe inequality is a major issue, versus 24 percent who don't think so, according to a new Bloomberg/Los Angeles Times poll. Most of the concern is among Democrats and independent voters, though a majority of Republicans -- 55 percent -- also called the situation serious. "Income inequality is widening quite rapidly," said Alice Rivlin, a former vice chairwoman of the Federal Reserve...
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/295840_polleconomy14.html
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:06 pm
Hrm...
Thanx blueflame1 you bailed me out in a way. However, these people are not understanding what I'm putting to their notice. I'm not talking about the people who have NO ambitions, I am speaking of the poeple content doing what the very ambitious find lowly. Such as waitressing, which I've done before.

Point blank, majority of America has to hold more than one Full time job to make the bills and still have food to live. This is sad, those content with a simple life should not be treated as peasants. Living in modern day hovels and borrowing money to pay medical bills. You people are discusting, in all aspects to me, you care less about the people who make less than you do more than you have the digity to admit that since they are content with thier simple life they shouldn't be refused the effective funds to live properly, a home, electricity, water, food; and if they shouldn't be allowed to live simply when that makes them happy then you people are unpatroitic and unconstatutional...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:13 pm
Re: Hrm...
LockeD wrote:
Thanx blueflame1 you bailed me out in a way. However, these people are not understanding what I'm putting to their notice. I'm not talking about the people who have NO ambitions, I am speaking of the poeple content doing what the very ambitious find lowly. Such as waitressing, which I've done before.

Point blank, majority of America has to hold more than one Full time job to make the bills and still have food to live. This is sad, those content with a simple life should not be treated as peasants. Living in modern day hovels and borrowing money to pay medical bills. You people are discusting, in all aspects to me, you care less about the people who make less than you do more than you have the digity to admit that since they are content with thier simple life they shouldn't be refused the effective funds to live properly, a home, electricity, water, food; and if they shouldn't be allowed to live simply when that makes them happy then you people are unpatroitic and unconstatutional...

Well, there you have it. They're content with their simple lives. Who are we to interfere.

Actually, I would just love to see that income gap narrowed. I don't see what I've got to lose, but who are we going to steal it from?
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:33 pm
Re: Hrm...
roger wrote:
LockeD wrote:

Well, there you have it. They're content with their simple lives. Who are we to interfere.

Actually, I would just love to see that income gap narrowed. I don't see what I've got to lose, but who are we going to steal it from?

Hows about the 8% of America that holds 80% of the money in this country. Chances are your part of the 92% that gets to share the 20% that's left over. Sadly that doesn't quite add up to enough for all of that 92% to live deciently.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:41 pm
I wonder how much LockeD donates to the poor? In fact, if he has an extra bedroom in his home, I think that, putting his money where his mouth is, it would be nice if he took in and supported a homeless person.

Funny thing. Every time that I hear a person crying about how poor people are living so terribly, their solution usually involves someone else's, and not their, money!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:52 pm
Welcome to A2K, LockeD.

If you'll spend some time checking out this forum you'll find that most probably share some similarities to your views. You seem to have tried to make a Grand Entrance, and in doing so ruffled a few feathers. Most here are older than you, wiser than you and have lived considerably more than you.

We aren't sleeping. We just know how to enter someones room quietly in case they aren't fully awake yet. It helps us get their hand in the warm water without distrubing them. Observe for a bit and you'll find that some here are damn fine "short-sheeters," and not the ones you want offend. There's an art to fluffing pillows before you smother someone.

(Okay, I think I'm out of analogies.) Very Happy
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:57 pm
Hello
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I wonder how much LockeD donates to the poor? In fact, if he has an extra bedroom in his home, I think that, putting his money where his mouth is, it would be nice if he took in and supported a homeless person.

Funny thing. Every time that I hear a person crying about how poor people are living so terribly, their solution usually involves someone else's, and not their, money!

I find your posts funny, a bit like guesswork, but funny. To tell you the truth I'm 20 years old, live with my parents, and I do have a job, I'm even looking for another one at the moment so I can try to get "out into the world". Also, I give what I can spare to homeless people, I live in Fort Myers Flordia so there are plenty of them. I have even missed a light giving a five spot to the bum with the sign that reads "Everyone needs a little help" Knowing he's just going to go drink that five spot away to futher drowned himself from reality. However, I'm not talking about the homeless. I thought I explained this, why is it that people who make 25k a year are barely scraping by? How about the people who generaly make less?

Have you no insight? Can you not see past the sterotypes set up by the modern day community?

Are you so blind deaf and dumb that your forced to walk this world without seeing the common person who goes to work every day to come home with a check that barely covers the bills and a little food, and he works two full time jobs. Maybe you think the middle class is going to continue, news flash bud, they are distroying the middle class. Ever heard "the poor get more poor and the rich get more rich?" Well, that leave no middle class fyi and I have a feeling your one of the middle class people who still got it. Congrats, your comrads are failing.

How about this? A comprimse you guys get the government to lower the cost of living a little more and we home depo, walmart, receptionist, cooks, cashier losers will stop complaining that we don't have food.
0 Replies