Question RE: Elizabeth Edward's cancer case

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:35 am
She had been diagnosed with breast cancer and today she announced that it has progressed to bone cancer (apparently it is in her ribs at least).

During the announcement John Edwards made the statement that bone cancer can't be cured.

Is that true of all bone cancers? If one gets a bone cancer there is no "cure" at this point in modern medicine? Or is it that there are some types of bone cancers that can't be cured? (I know the term "cured" in regards to cancer is a little flakey anyway but...)

They said it could be "treated" and she'd live with it so I'm a little confused.

Anyone have any expertise in cancer treatments???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,181 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:46 am
Just guessing - but I think there are different kinds. Assumiing this is a metastasis from the earlier breast cancer, it is a different cell proliferation than an independently arising bone cancer (thinking osteosarcoma).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:52 am
Bone tumor org. has some really good informations.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
Once cancer cells have metastasized from the site of the original tumor, the cancer becomes very hard to treat. It can't be "cured" because while the cancer cells in the ribs may be destroyed, other rogue cells may be lurking in any bone in the body--or in the lungs or in brain--waiting to double and redouble and redouble.

The Edwards family can hope for remission for months or for years, but at this point in time a cancer that has seeded itself can't be eradicated.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:07 am
I agree with Osso & Noddy. Breast cancer that has metastasized to the bone is NOT bone cancer, which is an entirely different entity. What Ms. Edwards has is breast cancer that has spread to the bone.

http://www.imaginis.com/breasthealth/metastatic.asp

What is interesting about cancer is that certain types tend to spread to different, specific places.

Quote:
Metastatic tumors are very common in the late stages of cancer. The spread of metastases may occur via the blood or the lymphatics or through both routes. The most common places for the metastases to occur are the adrenals, liver, brain and the bones. There is also a propensity for certain tumors to seed in particular organs. This was first discussed as the "seed and soil" theory by Stephen Paget over a century ago in 1889. For example, prostate cancer usually metastasizes to the bones. Similarly, colon cancer has a tendency to metastasize to the liver. Stomach cancer often metastasizes to the ovary in women, where it forms a Krukenberg tumor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastasis
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:09 am
That's so sad. Her two younger kids are still so little, and her husband and older daughter have already had to deal with devastating loss...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:15 am
A friend of a friend had stage IV breast cancer, and a bone marrow transplant (tough thing to go through), and last I heard was fine seven years afterwards. I remember hearing that it was unlikely to work re the statistics. The seven years have been rewarding ones though (and may they continue).

I wish the Edwards family well.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:30 am
Ok, reading links and gathering info. Thanks to all!

My understaning is that cancers are usually considered "cured" when there is no sign of active cells for a period of 5 years (i.e. the person is in remission for 5 years).

Is that simply not possible with bone cancer? (Some sites say that this isn't bone cancer and others call it "secondary bone cancer" with "primary bone cancer" being reserved for cancers that start in the bones themselves. Or is it that they just can't tell if there are cancerous cells in other bones so there is no "remission" per se?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:37 am
I think that friend of a friend's metastasis was in the bone, but I'm not absolutely sure.

There are probably statistics out there for breast cancer that metastasized to the bone and results of various treatment over time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:44 am
sad news...

The prognosis for Stage IV disease is seldom good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:46 am
Just saw this in the NYT -
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/22/us/politics/22cnd-edwards.html?hp

clip ---
Her doctor said at the news conference that Mrs. Edwards had meta-static, or stage four, breast cancer, meaning that it is an advanced stage that has spread beyond the breast and lymph nodes to other organs. Mr. Edwards said that because the tumor was relatively small and because there was a relatively minimal presence of cancer in other places they were optimistic.

"The bottom line is her cancer is back," he said. "We are very optimistic about this because having been through some struggles together in the past, we know that the key is to keep your head up and keep moving and be strong."

"We intend to do exactly that," he said.

According to statistics from the American Cancer Society, 26.1 percent of patients with stage four cancer live five years or more. By contrast, patients whose cancer is confined to the breast and has not spread to surrounding tissue or lymph nodes have a five-year survival rate of 98 percent.Mr. Edwards said many patients have lived many years, managing their condition in a way he likened to someone with diabetes who rely on insulin treatment.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:49 am
Survival statistics for metastatic breast cancer from Phoenix's link:

Quote:

Note - the 16% survival rate represents metastases to all areas, not just bone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:50 am
That's sh!t news to get from a doctor.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:52 am
The Edwards family is certainly a testament to love and life.

My mom, as well as step-cubs mom, went through cancer treatment at the same time 10 years ago. Both have been cancer free following their treatments for uterine and breast cancer. Both had amazingly positive attitudes throughout.

I hope this same optimism works in favor of the Edwards family. They will remain in my thoughts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:00 pm
Metastatic Cancer

about the language

Quote:
When a cancer spreads (metastasizes) from its original site to another area of the body, it is termed metastatic cancer.

Quote:
A cancer which has spread from an initial (primary) site to another one. The tumor is called by the primary site (ex. breast cancer that has spread to the brain is called metastatic breast cancer to the brain).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:02 pm
JPB wrote:
Survival statistics for metastatic breast cancer from Phoenix's link:

Quote:

Note - the 16% survival rate represents metastases to all areas, not just bone.

Interesting stuff. This is all something I've never looked into so it is all new to me.

I found another site that mentions that ~40 out of every 100,000 women under age 50 will get Stage IV breast cancer. That jumps to ~360 per 100,000 women for those over age 50.

Stage IV isn't as unusual I as I would have thought. Sad
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:10 pm
From Bonetumor.org

Quote:
Breast cancer is the most common site of origin of metastatic deposits in the skeleton. As many of half of all pathological fractures are due to breast cancer. Although the prognosis for patients with breast cancer that has spread to the bone vas poor in the past, nowadays these patients are living much longer and feeling much better due to dramatic improvements in medical and surgical treatments of this problem.

<snip>

The average survival after the diagnosis of a breast cancer metastasis to bone has dramatically improved to about 24 - 36 months. The bisphosphonate class of drugs is likely to lead to more improvements in survival.

Source
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:15 pm
Keep in mind that there are a lot of people that do not catch it early, hence the stage IV. That could be due to generally not running to the doctor for every little ache, lack of insurance / finances, etc.

I know I'm guilty of going years between appointments, and at various times lack of insurance has made me hold off.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 01:01 pm
squinney wrote:
Keep in mind that there are a lot of people that do not catch it early, hence the stage IV. That could be due to generally not running to the doctor for every little ache, lack of insurance / finances, etc.

I know I'm guilty of going years between appointments, and at various times lack of insurance has made me hold off.

Most if not all States in the US provide funds for women to have mammograms, if they can not afford the $500 fee or if they lack insurance.

There is no reason, why any woman should ignore monthly self examination of their breasts, or a yearly mammogram and thereby decrease their chances of developing and dying from breast cancer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
Link from The Oregonian explaining basis for some optimism
0 Replies