Why do most of the liberals view Iraq as a failure?

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:43 am
Builder wrote:
I don't think you need to establish a connection with any political bent to know that the current occupation of Iraq is a dangerous farce.

This sort of exercise only entertains the conservative American war-mongers if they can identify those with whom they disagree in belittling terms. To an American conservative, the term "liberal" is synonymous with pantywaist, coward, appeaser, traitor, homosexual--you name it, it can't be too debased a term if you are describing "liberals."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 10:58 am
McTag wrote:
My main point about Guantanamo Bay was, that America has many laws about protecting the rights of the individual, and Guantanamo Bay was set up in Cuba (and I believe there are similar installations elsewhere in the world under American jurisdiction) precisely to be outside of American law, so that extreme measures can be brought to bear on the inmates, without restriction of time or any other restriction.

So, although the rhetoric of our leaders is laced with epithets like "terrorists", "murderers", "illegal regimes", "bringing civilisation/democracy to our enemies", "western values", and so on, our actions at Gauntanamo and elsewhere tell a different story about us. You raised the point about hypocrisy.

Valid points. I believe you should also consider the fact that we are engaged in what amounts to a war with an extra-national organization that has already attacked us rather severely and repeatedly. This evident fact takes the practical apparatus of our extablished legal mechanisms outside their intended domain. Our actions in dealing with these captives have been relatively restrained compared to those of other modern democracies in truly comparable situations - as I have noted. Moreover, I don't believe our enemy is at all confused about the differences between our treatmnent of captives and his own. There have been no summary decapitations or executions at Guantanamo.

I will readily agree that the rhetoric of our political leaders has been seriously deficient in acknowledging these dilemmas and persuasively making our case in this matter.

I believe you should reflect on your own reactions to these events and try to recall your thoughts and comparable actions (if there were any) during the British military occupation of Northern Ireland. What did you say or do then? Is your outrage over Guantanamo now greater than it was them over Maze and Long Kesh? If so, why? What does that imply?

McTag wrote:
I do not support for a moment the people whose mindet resulted in the Achille Lauro atrocity or Daniel Pearl's murder. But I believe that Guantanamo's existence debases us all, and makes such events more, not less, likely.

On a practical note, I wonder whether all the negative publicity from GB has been balanced by any useful information gained. I suspect that useful information gained is minimal, leaving aside the fact that information extracted under torture is inadmissible in a court of law.

I believe that to some extent we would be criticized for any decisive actions we might take. There is a perverse aspect to the human traits of denial and indignation, particularly on public matters in a democracy. We sometimes employ shrill indignation over presumed imperfections in action as a diversion to the less pleasant contemplation of external dangers. There are examples of this to be found in the denial of the British public to the then growing threat from Nazi Germany in the 1930s. Moreover the denial and indignation were used to divert attention from far worse evils, including the betrayals of Czechoslovakia and Poland. I'm not finding fault here - this is just human nature in action.

I don't believe the point of the internment of the captives in Guantanamo is so much for the extraction of intelligence as to keep these people out of circulation. We have already had the experience of recapturing in Afghanistan people previously released from Guantanamo. Moreover not all of the useful applications of intelligence are in courts of law.

I will also add that the pervasive and perhaps sometimes overbearing American sense of exceptionalism - the notion that we are a unique, original new creation in the modern world (in the historical sense), free of the contradictions of the old -- sets us up for this sort of thing. This self-image is partly (though not fully) true. The realities of our actions do indeed open us to the accusations of hypocrisy on the part of those perhaps weary of our self-promotion. We have lived (and generally thrived) with these contradictions for some time. it remains to be seen how long that will continue.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:36 am
Good and honest answer, George. Thoughtful.

You asked me a question about my reaction to British detention etc practices in Northern Ireland. Set raised the point too. Well, you may know more about The Maze and Long Kesh than I do. I know the "H Blocks" were notorious for a harsh regime, and for the reaction of some of the prisoners (so-called "dirty protests"). However I probably gave this no more thought than you do to detention/correction facilities in Arkansas, Texas or Louisiana.

This is not to belittle the matter. But I think we are in a whole different order of magnitude when we consider what is being done in our names now, with suspects being abducted, transported across international boundaries, and tortured to the point of severe psychological damage. Can any worthwhile end justify these means? I doubt it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 01:05 am
There's quite a good article in Wikipedia. I did not know btw that Long Kesh and The Maze were the same place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_(HM_Prison)

Reading this does not make me inclined to change any of what I wrote above.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 03:11 am
Setanta wrote:
Builder wrote:
I don't think you need to establish a connection with any political bent to know that the current occupation of Iraq is a dangerous farce.

This sort of exercise only entertains the conservative American war-mongers if they can identify those with whom they disagree in belittling terms. To an American conservative, the term "liberal" is synonymous with pantywaist, coward, appeaser, traitor, homosexual--you name it, it can't be too debased a term if you are describing "liberals."

Strange really, considering that the word "liberal" relates to none of those issues.

I've wondered why Americans choose to hogtie words, and claim them as their own.

The word "liberal" is at the very heart of the American constitution, and libertarianism is the body and soul of the constitution. No wonder the shrubbite called it "just a goddamned piece of paper.

To be liberal-minded, simply means that you are open to all options.

What is so difficult to fathom with that statement?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 04:19 am
McTag wrote:
I do not support for a moment the people whose mindet resulted in the Achille Lauro atrocity or Daniel Pearl's murder. But I believe that Guantanamo's existence debases us all, and makes such events more, not less, likely.

On a practical note, I wonder whether all the negative publicity from GB has been balanced by any useful information gained. I suspect that useful information gained is minimal, leaving aside the fact that information extracted under torture is inadmissible in a court of law.

The Americans are not quite as stupid as they appear. They know much of the "information" they extract from prisoners is garbage. But they dont care, they use it anyway. As for GB debasing us all, it doesnt debase me. It debases those who run control and implement policies bringing into existence places like Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. But they dont care either because they are by and large already debased having lost their moral compass many years ago.

George

Quote:
There is a perverse aspect to the human traits of denial and indignation, particularly on public matters in a democracy. We sometimes employ shrill indignation over presumed imperfections in action as a diversion to the less pleasant contemplation of external dangers. There are examples of this to be found in the denial of the British public to the then growing threat from Nazi Germany in the 1930s. Moreover the denial and indignation were used to divert attention from far worse evils, including the betrayals of Czechoslovakia and Poland. I'm not finding fault here - this is just human nature in action.

Question

This is surely nonsense. Or it makes no sense to me at least. You are saying the betrayal of Czechoslovakia by the British public was a worse evil than the threat posed by Nazi Germany? Get a grip man.

Britian did not betray Poland. We declared war on Germany because Germany attacked Poland.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 06:30 am
Well the British have allowed secret flights to and from American air bases in this country, to transport "snatched" prisoners illegally. Tony Blair's government knows about this, and haven't stopped it. We voted Tony Blair's government in. So yes, I'm afraid it does debase us all.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:10 am
Howard's government espouses the same, but it doesn't debase me in the slightest way.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 10:50 am
Builder wrote:
Howard's government espouses the same, but it doesn't debase me in the slightest way.

John Donne.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
mctag wrote :

Quote:
Well the British have allowed secret flights to and from American air bases in this country, to transport "snatched" prisoners illegally. Tony Blair's government knows about this, and haven't stopped it. We voted Tony Blair's government in. So yes, I'm afraid it does debase us all.

yes , i think it debases all of humanity .
having grown up in nazi germany - i was 15 years old when the war ended - , i find it pretty well impossible to complete shake off the memory of that time .
even though i've been told by jewish friends more than once that i should not feel any personal responsibility for what happened in germany at that times , i think the memory will stick with me forever .
hbg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:16 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
[ Question

This is surely nonsense. Or it makes no sense to me at least. You are saying the betrayal of Czechoslovakia by the British public was a worse evil than the threat posed by Nazi Germany? Get a grip man.

Britian did not betray Poland. We declared war on Germany because Germany attacked Poland.

No, I was saying that the betrayals of Czechoclovakia (and Poland) were far worse (for all, including the British themselves) than the imagined horrors of confronting Hitler, before his power increased further.

Britain did indeed declare war on Germany after its invasion of Poland. What followed was called the "phony war". This did not exactly conform to the assurancesd previously given. I agree that in 1940, given the wasted opportunities of the previous years, there wasn't much more the British could do.

My essential point is that the blindness and denial of the British public and their elected leaders in the early and mid 1930s only made them more vulnerable to greater dangers later. Moreover the fear and denial that motivated the accomodation with Hitler enabled worse evils to fall on others.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:33 am
Steve 41oo wrote:

The Americans are not quite as stupid as they appear. They know much of the "information" they extract from prisoners is garbage. But they dont care, they use it anyway. As for GB debasing us all, it doesnt debase me. It debases those who run control and implement policies bringing into existence places like Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. But they dont care either because they are by and large already debased having lost their moral compass many years ago.

These are rather intemperate remarks. Moreover they betray a rather juvenile presumption that you can somehow divine the truth of things you can't possibly know. Do you expect to be taken seriously?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:59 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

These are rather intemperate remarks. Moreover they betray a rather juvenile presumption that you can somehow divine the truth of things you can't possibly know. Do you expect to be taken seriously?
On re reading them I think I was quite perceptive. Do you think American foreign policy, or for that matter the foreign policy of any significant state, has a moral dimension?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 01:37 pm
McTag wrote:
Good and honest answer, George. Thoughtful.

You asked me a question about my reaction to British detention etc practices in Northern Ireland. Set raised the point too. Well, you may know more about The Maze and Long Kesh than I do. I know the "H Blocks" were notorious for a harsh regime, and for the reaction of some of the prisoners (so-called "dirty protests"). However I probably gave this no more thought than you do to detention/correction facilities in Arkansas, Texas or Louisiana.

This is not to belittle the matter. But I think we are in a whole different order of magnitude when we consider what is being done in our names now, with suspects being abducted, transported across international boundaries, and tortured to the point of severe psychological damage. Can any worthwhile end justify these means? I doubt it.

Thanks for the response,

The facts are that the number of IRA men incarcerated without trial or legal charges was of the same order of magnitude as the number of prisioners held in Guantanamo. I find it remarkable that you took so little notice of events in Northern Ireland, conducted by your own government, while later giving so much to similar ones in Guantanamo, thousands of miles away, and done by another country. What are the implications of that rather odd disconnect in your own behavior? How should I consider that in evaluating your opinions of Guantanamo?

I don't see any analogy between either Northern Ireland or Guantanamo and "detention facilities in Arkansas, Texas, or Louisiana"? I suspect I get the reference, but see more than a little prejudice there.

Are we really in a new era? I don't think that history supports that notion. Indeed the British Security services assasinated several IRA men in third party countries during the troubles. Was that an indicator of a new era?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:02 pm
Builder wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Builder wrote:

Strange really, considering that the word "liberal" relates to none of those issues.

I've wondered why Americans choose to hogtie words, and claim them as their own.

The word "liberal" is at the very heart of the American constitution, and libertarianism is the body and soul of the constitution. No wonder the shrubbite called it "just a goddamned piece of paper.

To be liberal-minded, simply means that you are open to all options.

What is so difficult to fathom with that statement?

I have written this before at this forum, and at others. Words were "hog-tied" (good word image) because of the militancy of the late 1960s. Black militants (as well as many, many other blacks, who cannot reasonably be seen as militant) identified the Vietnam War (and the Space Program) as distractions in the national attention, and drains on the national budget, which prevented effective government action to get at the roots of endemic racial inequality.

American Indian activists took a similar line, and soon, because of the unifying character of opposition to the war, many militants who were opposed to the war, as well as militants with other agendas, became allies, and therefore the concept of "politically correct" speech arose. You can't oppose the war and still talk about "n*ggers," because Blacks are now your allies in opposition to the war. You can't take militant action against gender discrimination, and casually accept a stereotype of all Indians as drunks--because you are going to want to improve conditions for Amerindian women as well as all other women.

Political rectitude, therefore, has understandable roots--but it can very easily go overboard, because people become reluctant to criticize for valid reasons (for example, acknowledging that alcoholism is a serious problem for Amerindians). It is not only the left which has this problem, either, words became weapons for the right, as well.

So, for example, in the United States those who call themselves libertarians probably identify more with conservative political ideas than with "liberal" political ideas, and would be offended that you have identified "liberalism" with "libertarianism."

After riding high with Republicans in the White House from 1980 to 1992, which made them powerful despite control of the Congress by Democrats, conservatives began a concerted program to ideologically "capture" the American public. Liberal became a dirty word. People who receive public assistance are to be automatically identified as "welfare cheaters," people who oppose military expenditure or military adventures are "unpatriotic."

This is not to say that one side or the other is any better or worse than the other with these matters. Republicans (usually conservative) rant on about moral values, and look pretty bad when a Republican Congressman is found stalking an adolescent boy. Democrats (usually liberal) rant about solidarity with the poor and the working class, and then live life styles which make them easy targets for the sneer "limousine liberals."

I can't say if language is hostage to ideology in the Antipodes, although i suspect it would be, and that it is easier for you to see it among us than within your own society.

However you slice it, though, the author of this thread used the term liberal contemptuously, and was attempting to inferentially suggest that only liberals criticize the management of the war, and that because they are unpatriotic or cowardly. The implications are encoded in the word "liberal" as it is used by American conservatives all too often.
0 Replies