Why do most of the liberals view Iraq as a failure?

malek

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:52 pm
paull wrote:
first, send the reporters home.

then, put another 30,000 troops in.

War over (we win) by summer 2008.

By late summer there would be an even longer queue of young men trying to join Al Qaida, by early fall insurgency would once again be on the rise, and by spring 2009 you would be advocating an even bigger force being sent in to win the war for what would be the third time. And so on and so on.

Is it the fact that you perhaps get turned on by repeated statements of "mission accomplished"?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:23 pm
Any policy that breeds resentment will only work as long as your force is big enough to suppress that resentment. History has been pretty clear on that one. The policy after WW2 was not to keep military forces large enough to tamp down any insurgency. The policy was to prevent the insurgency from ever happening by coming up with political solutions that were palatable to people in the occupied countries. Leaving the Japanese emperor in place was a political decision.

The military can never be the solution unless you always want to keep the military there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:21 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Bill, Bill. You say that you are for:

Quote:
enough eat, reasonable preventative medicine, and freedom of self determination....

and combating aids, and the such... but I'm not sure I believe you, as you vote for people (according to you) who are decidedly against such things both at home and abroad.

How do you square up support for the Republican party with their positions on issues such as AIDS (no support for African countries unless they don't teach condom use), preventative medicine (no universal health care) and feeding the needy (welfare cuts and low-income assistance cuts across the board).
I have yet to ever offer up a dollar of support for the Republican Party and have voted for one Republican Presidential candidate one time, and even that was a vote against his opponent. Abstinence teaching is ignorance, I don't support Universal Health Care- but would support state subsidized Health Insurance providing it was designed with minimal government intrusion, and Welfare Reform is a positive in my book. I like Tommy Thomson's "Wisconsin Works" and believe that hands up are far superior to handouts.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
As for the military issue, I don't disagree that we have the most powerful military on the planet.
Then have the decency to retract the moron comment; since the quote you took out of context was entirely about that.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I do disagree that we have the most intelligent people running it, that reasonable goals were set, that competence is utilized in managing the attempts to reach these goals. Doesn't matter how big a rifle you have if you don't know how to shoot it; or when to shoot it; or how to clean and maintain it. We're faced with all three of these problems currently.
I don't recall writing anything that is contradicted by any of that.

McTag wrote:
O'Bill, all of the Iraquis who can leave Iraq have now left or are trying to leave. 1.5 million of the middle classes are in Jordan and Syria and elsewhere.
Life for them under "Saddam and his murderous sons" was at least bearable....it's not bearable now. It's not safe to go out. No civilised life is possible, and no improvement in the situation is discernable.

Add up the body count and the waste and the cost, and you're looking at a pretty good example of failure imo.
Show me one conflict where lives were improved in the middle of the conflict, hello. The lives of the Average American weren't improved during the Civil War, either. Does it surprise you that Iraq's former "ruling class" is now somewhat fearful of the majority whose oppression they've been benefiting from all these years? If (when?) a full blown Civil War erupts and a predictable genocide takes place; who do you think will be hit the hardest? That those with means are leaving is a predictable matter of common sense... and is likely bolstered by talk of immediate pullout of U.S. forces.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:27 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Bill, Bill. You say that you are for:

Quote:
enough eat, reasonable preventative medicine, and freedom of self determination....

and combating aids, and the such... but I'm not sure I believe you, as you vote for people (according to you) who are decidedly against such things both at home and abroad.

How do you square up support for the Republican party with their positions on issues such as AIDS (no support for African countries unless they don't teach condom use), preventative medicine (no universal health care) and feeding the needy (welfare cuts and low-income assistance cuts across the board).
I have yet to ever offer up a dollar of support for the Republican Party and have voted for one Republican Presidential candidate one time, and even that was a vote against his opponent. Abstinence teaching is ignorance, I don't support Universal Health Care- but would support state subsidized Health Insurance providing it was designed with minimal government intrusion, and Welfare Reform is a positive in my book. I like Tommy Thomson's "Wisconsin Works" and believe that hands up are far superior to handouts.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
As for the military issue, I don't disagree that we have the most powerful military on the planet.
Then have the decency to retract the moron comment; since the quote you took out of context was entirely about that.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I do disagree that we have the most intelligent people running it, that reasonable goals were set, that competence is utilized in managing the attempts to reach these goals. Doesn't matter how big a rifle you have if you don't know how to shoot it; or when to shoot it; or how to clean and maintain it. We're faced with all three of these problems currently.
I don't recall writing anything that is contradicted by any of that.

McTag wrote:
O'Bill, all of the Iraquis who can leave Iraq have now left or are trying to leave. 1.5 million of the middle classes are in Jordan and Syria and elsewhere.
Life for them under "Saddam and his murderous sons" was at least bearable....it's not bearable now. It's not safe to go out. No civilised life is possible, and no improvement in the situation is discernable.

Add up the body count and the waste and the cost, and you're looking at a pretty good example of failure imo.
Show me one conflict where lives were improved in the middle of the conflict, hello. The lives of the Average American weren't improved during the Civil War, either. Does it surprise you that Iraq's former "ruling class" is now somewhat fearful of the majority whose oppression they've been benefiting from all these years? If (when?) a full blown Civil War erupts and a predictable genocide takes place; who do you think will be hit the hardest? That those with means are leaving is a predictable matter of common sense... and is likely bolstered by talk of immediate pullout of U.S. forces.

Fair enough. I was under the impression that you were more of a Republican supporter than this.

I take back calling your position on the military moronic and apologize for doing so.

Yaknow, in a certain way, I would like to think that the fact we as a society and as a world don't accept the violent solutions of the past is a testament to improvement as a species - when folks like Chiso present it as weakness and failure. It gets my hackles up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:32 pm
because it is. stupid question.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:35 pm
Re: Why do most of the liberals view Iraq as a failure?
McTag wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
Why do most liberals view Iraq as a failure?

Is it because larger number of deaths inflicted on the Americans?

It could be something to do with the invasion being illegal, immoral, counter-productive and stupid, misbegotten in arrogance and hubris, and suffering from the effects of very poor planning and erroneous assumptions about the nature and scale of the problem.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Fair enough. I was under the impression that you were more of a Republican supporter than this.

I take back calling your position on the military moronic and apologize for doing so.

Yaknow, in a certain way, I would like to think that the fact we as a society and as a world don't accept the violent solutions of the past is a testament to improvement as a species - when folks like Chiso present it as weakness and failure. It gets my hackles up.

Cycloptichorn
Decent of you, thanks. I can't speak for Chiso; but I think he too was responding to the idiotic way the U.S. Military was portrayed as weak, because of the strategic differences from wars past. Ironic that it is precisely the U.S. Military's abundance of strength that affords it the ability to choose tactics that idiots conflate to weakness. In the event we were ever actually anywhere near being overmatched; we could always resort to "going Roman" which would of course put such silly notions permanently to rest. To the handful of countries that could actually put up a real fight against the U.S.; our Military Prowess remains as credible as ever it was.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:58 pm
As credible, but yet, not as useful as it once was.

And that's not because the military has changed in any negative way, but because we as a society have changed in a positive way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:01 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
As credible, but yet, not as useful as it once was.

And that's not because the military has changed in any negative way, but because we as a society have changed in a positive way.

Cycloptichorn
Very well put.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:13 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Yeah, the terrorists also believe in the idea of "at any cost."
So did John F. Kennedy.

Kennedy was wrong. This morality reduces us to the level of the terrorists no matter how noble we hold our intentions to be. "Moral" ends do not justify "immoral" means. Immoral means to achieve moral ends is a contradiction and a hypocrisy.

How many innocents would the adherents of this morality be willing to slaughter to achieve their "moral" ends?

How many women and girls would you be willing to slaughter to achieve your ends in Iraq? Fifty percent or so?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:36 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Yeah, the terrorists also believe in the idea of "at any cost."
So did John F. Kennedy.

Kennedy was wrong. This morality reduces us to the level of the terrorists no matter how noble we hold our intentions to be. "Moral" ends do not justify "immoral" means. Immoral means to achieve moral ends is a contradiction and a hypocrisy.

How many innocents would the adherents of this morality be willing to slaughter to achieve their "moral" ends?
As you well know; I don't agree with the notion that the end can't justify the means. The simple answer is less.

InfraBlue wrote:
How many women and girls would you be willing to slaughter to achieve your ends in Iraq? Fifty percent or so?
It really isn't that simple. There are presently 5 million little girls in Iraq, aged 14 or under. Abandoning them now would be akin to sentencing them and all that come after them essentially to slavery. How many are too many to prevent this from happening (not that I'm implying there is any guarantee any effort will prevent it)? How many more generations of Iranians should be forced to live in these same conditions? There is a country poised to make a move into mainstream civilization if ever there was one. Should the world continue to turn the blind eye while the crazy Mullahs erase the painful progress that has been made? Is the plight of other peoples really no one else's business if they happen to have been born on the wrong side of some arbitrary line in the sand? Was the United States correct to turn the blind eye towards Rwanda? How about our apparent blind eye towards Darfur? Is standing down really more benevolent? If any of these sufferings should warrant attention; who from? If not the richest, most powerful country on the face of the earth, who? When?
0 Replies

anton

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 01:07 am
I assume the American's will leave Iraq, possibly in mid 2008, there will then be a real power struggle which will give way to an Islamic Theocracy dominated by Sharia Law similar to what exists in Saudi Arabia which is a dictatorship; far different to the Secular society which existed under Saddam Hussein. What will America have achieved apart from death and destruction?

Incidentally Iraq or Mesopotamia, as it was then, was the cradle of civilization when most of the world was still living in caves.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:56 am
O'Bill wrote:

I would have expected that improvement right after the "Mission Accomplished" statement, wouldn't you?

And I'm remembering that Mr Cheney famously declared we would be hailed as liberators.
If he was in charge of a five-and-dime store he would be long gone by now.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 03:16 am
McTag wrote:

I would have expected that improvement right after the "Mission Accomplished" statement, wouldn't you?

And I'm remembering that Mr Cheney famously declared we would be hailed as liberators.
If he was in charge of a five-and-dime store he would be long gone by now.

Ahmen to that. Couldn't organise a shag in a brothel with a fistful of fifties.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:33 am
anton wrote:
Incidentally Iraq or Mesopotamia, as it was then, was the cradle of civilization when most of the world was still living in caves.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world moved on while Iraq stayed where it was. Guess they can't get passed the golden days, even if it was a couple thousand years ago.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:41 am
McGentrix wrote:
anton wrote:

Unfortunately, the rest of the world moved on while Iraq stayed where it was. Guess they can't get passed the golden days, even if it was a couple thousand years ago.

sort of like when Lincoln was a republican....
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:19 am
good one, B-PB Laughing

as usual i'm a bit late joining the thread, but in addition to what others have written, i see the war as a failure in terms of cost. Wolfowitz thought $95 billion was too high for total cost, whereas the direct cost alone is running over $100 billion a year. as a point of reference, the national debt has been increasing by about $600 billion a year since the war began. Wolfowitz also thought then Army Chief of Staff Eric Shinseki's estimate of several hundred thousand troops required to occupy Iraq "wildly off the mark," whereas it turned out Shinseki was on the mark.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

The millions of former slaves who were liberated in the course of the American Civil War would, and not unreasonably, have said that their lives were improved in the course of the war. The citizens of eastern Tennessee, who supported the Union, and who fled the march of Confederate armies, would undoubtedly have said that their lives were improved when Longstreet was driven off in 1863 and the siege of Knoxville was lifted. The citizens of the western counties of Virginia, who voted to secede from that state after that state had seceded from the Union, and which counties formed the state of West Virginia in 1863 may reasonably have claimed that their lives had been improved in the course of the war.

When the English "liberated" huge portions of the Osmanli Empire in the course of the Great War, and Jerusalem, Damascus and Baghdad fell to the Allied powers, the soon to be delivered from their illusions residents of what became Palestine, Jordan, Syria and Iraq could have been pardoned if they thought their lives had been improved in the course of the conflict.

It is always foolish to attempt simplistic statements which generalize the implications of evens as huge as wars. The valid point to be made about Iraq is that the current administration made no plans for the occupation, and seem to have thought that the Iraqi people would rush to embrace the invader, and then set about diligently solving all of their own problems while GIs looked on benignly and handed out gum to the children. Iraq is a mess, it is not less of a mess than it was before the invasion, and it is reasonable to suggest that it is much more of a mess than it was before the invasion--and the responsibility rests squarely with the idiots who rushed in there without more of plan than to whip the Iraqi army and immediately hand out sweetheart contracts to their buddies at Halliburton and Bechtel to run security and build military bases for them.

And flannel-mouthed conservatives who spout pseudo-history and bromides while cheerleading for this disaster are at least morally responsible for helping to further the idiocy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:59 am
By the way, conservatives who trot out arguments about what can and cannot be accomplished in the middle of a war attempt to create for themselves and open-ended series of excuses for failure. The army of the Ba'athist regime was defeated almost four years ago (and the little **** from Texas appeared in a flight suit in front of his "Mission Accomplished" banner); the government of the Ba'athists was toppled, and a different government was put in its place.

So just what constitutes the end of the war, in the "wisdom" of conservatives? With whom are we at war? The Iraqi people themselves? Only about 25,000,000 more to kill, and we win ! ! !
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:10 pm
So you've successfully disputed my first sentence by demonstrating the carelessness that was corrected by the second, while ignoring the point of the entire paragraph you quoted. And, impressively, you managed to keep your babbling screed down to 5 paragraphs to do it. Great work, Set.
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Show me one conflict where lives were improved in the middle of the conflict, hello.
Yep, should have added the word average.

The balance of your yipping and yapping disproves nothing else I said.

Setanta wrote:
The millions of former slaves who were liberated in the course of the American Civil War would, and not unreasonably, have said that their lives were improved in the course of the war.
Slaveshttp://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7442/notequalce3.jpgAverage Americans. (Repeat)

[Insert my long, mind-numbingly boring, barely topic-related screed here]

Setanta wrote:
And flannel-mouthed conservatives who spout pseudo-history and bromides while cheerleading for this disaster are at least morally responsible for helping to further the idiocy.
And panty-waisted liberals who spout reams of unnecessary data, false accusations and intentionally misleading labels while consistently missing the point anyway mostly succeed in making A$$es of themselves. :wink:

Setanta wrote:
So just what constitutes the end of the war, in the "wisdom" of conservatives?
I don't speak for conservatives; but I'd agree the war against Iraq is over and that the U.S. Military accomplished the mission of defeating Saddam's forces incredibly efficiently.

Setanta wrote:
With whom are we at war?
Muslim Fundi extremists, Terrorists, Al Qaeda etc. We're also attempting to prevent a Civil War in Iraq (You remember; that place where we just won a war?). That's not going nearly as well as the war did, and some people think we should give up. I think that would be unconscionable.

Setanta wrote:
The Iraqi people themselves?
Some, but only those who are disloyal to the freely elected Iraqi government.

Setanta wrote:
Only about 25,000,000 more to kill, and we win ! ! !
I know you jest... but that's only a little more foolish than a good deal of you blathering lately.
0 Replies