Does absence make the heart grow fonder?

jjorge

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:41 am
morganwood wrote:

...Traveling nurses, as far a I know through association with my wife, are a very professional bunch...

...Another neat group of nurses to know are the ER/Tramua nurses...

...Linda refuses to work day shift. She will not deal with the administrators and day people. She has always worked secongd or third shift...

Hi Morganwood,

Nice to 'see' ya!

I've been around...mostly writing sappy poetry Confused LOL

I've met numerous 'Travellers' in the ER where I work. Most were from the South it seems. The ones I have met have unfailingly been nice people... hard working, very professional, but also friendly and helpful. Hearing those southern drawls is always charming.
(They are also amused by how 'Ro-di-lund-uhs'* speak )

I've worked a total of thirty three years in several hospitals and about sixteen years in the ER. I see the three shifts as like three different subcultures.

The first shift is dominated by the 'suits' (ie. administrators) and has many more interactions going on with external systems and even many hospital systems (eg. outpatient departments) which are closed from the end of the regular work day till the following am.

The second shift is a little 'schizophrenic' in the colloquial sense of the term. That is, for about two or three hours it acts much like the first shift.
Then, after supper, after the evening news, there is the equivalent of a collective sigh of relief that the annoying overpaid, overbearing, bureaucrats are gone and things are more relaxed.

The third shift is in many respects like the dark side of the moon.
Unless you've been there, you can't know it.
In the ER it's still fast paced of course, but on the floors there is vitually no contact with external systems (although patients may arrive from the ER to or from an intensive care or other unit). What I have observed is that third shift or 'overnight' personnel tend to share a certain bond that cuts across rank and discipline, a sort of 'we are the denizens of the night'
attitude.

*Rhode Islanders
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 07:08 am
morganwood

I very much like the idea of 2 people being mature & secure enough to survive periods of absence from each other.
I also think it's important to have time to one's self.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:43 am
Yes, travel nurses make a lot of money but, there are no benifits paid, sick pay, etc.

My wife liked your comments jjorge!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:50 pm
morganwood wrote:
Yes, travel nurses make a lot of money but, there are no benifits paid, sick pay, etc.

My wife liked your comments jjorge!

That's nice.

Tell her I have a lot of respect for nurses. I also think the 'suits' have been making nurses' work a lot more difficult in recent years with practices like forced overtime.

As I'm sure the two of you know, a lot of nurses have been leaving the field because of heartburn with the working conditions.

oops! ... I forgot this thread's topic...sorry I've been digressing so much.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:25 am
I had some clients in the studio the other day celebrating their 42 wedding anniversary. He worked six months overseas, returned for six weeks, left for six months, returned for six weeks - throught the duration of their marriage.

Their passion for each other heated up the room. Their laughter and humor and gazes and touches were wonderful to see.

I think that if you have a fond heart, you have a fond heart.
0 Replies