for straight men, what would u answer to this question?

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 09:45 am
When an aquaintance asks u if u were gay?
and when a friend asks u if u were gay ?
what would u respond or react?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,047 • Replies: 35
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:10 am
Answering for "The Prince:"

You should be flattered!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:59 am
I suppose it depends on the circumstances.

If you are at a gay bar - You can reply -
"I'm only here for the dancing lessons" or "I'm here to avoid getting hit on by 30 women a night."

If the friend or aquaintance is a naked female and you are having certain performance issues -
You could just pretend you are really drunk and then pass out.

If the friend or aquaintance is a naked male -
"Why? Are you trying to hit on me?"

I think in most circumstances a simple "no" would work just fine.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 11:15 am
I'm not a guy, but you could respond "No. But, hey, I should introduce you to my friend / acquaintance" (depending on which one is asking.)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 02:20 pm
I guess I don't understand the question.

Seriously - what's wrong with "no"?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:28 pm
I guess someone should say that if you are gay, an affirmative answer may be in order.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:38 pm
If you are, yes - if you ain't, no...

This doesn't seem like a very challenging scenario, to me. Now, I could understand looking for different "takes" if the question to the straight men on the forum had been, for instance "What would you do if you were hit on by a gay man?" At least that to me has some understandable room for a spectrum of different approaches.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:01 pm
I agree with snood. There isn't much to this question.

In either of those scenarios, I'd just say "no."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:07 pm
That was kinda funny...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:18 pm
Hehehe...I see what you mean. I meant either of the scenarios in the original post.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:19 pm
kingof

Do you think you might be gay?

Don't worry about anything we might say. I just caught the undercurrent. A friend asked you.

You'll find sympathetic people here if you have questions about your sexuality.
0 Replies

kingofmen

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 05:55 am
Being gay is my big secret. Therefore, people who know me haven't found it out yet.
I think some of my friends start being suspicious about my being gay. I won't know how to respond if any of them ask me the question because i'm not a good liar.
That's why i'm asking u, straight guys to prepare for it
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:01 am
Meh, ladies that wonder why I don't hit on them use that line.

The truth is, if I'm not attracted to them, they get offended, and that is why they use that line.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:05 am
kingofmen- How old are you? Do your folks know that you are gay? Is the area where you live accepting of the gay lifestyle?

I don't think that there is a right or wrong answer. It all has to do with the circumstances, your comfort with your sexuality, as well as many other factors.

I am thinking of the answer that Dear Abby used to give when someone asked a too personal question. She would look them straight in the eye and say, "Now why in the world would you ask me such a thing?"

In other words, it is not incumbent upon you to describe your sexual orientation to other people, just because they asked, if you don't want to.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:12 am
There're a few gay guys on the line here. They dont flaunt it, nor do they hide it. They dont make it the central driver of their debates, at least I havent caught that sense. So, like Snood and the Kickyman, I guess Im at a loss to give any wisdom here.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:30 am
Re: for straight men, what would u answer to this question?
kingofmen wrote:
When an aquaintance asks u if u were gay?
and when a friend asks u if u were gay ?
what would u respond or react?

What is the difference between a "friend" asking, and an "acquaintance"
asking?
If an acquaintance asks, maybe they themselves are gay and are interested in getting to know you better.
As far as a friend asking....well, they must not be a very close friend if they don't know you well enough to know whether you date women or men!
But either way, there must be some reason that people are asking you this question.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:48 am
First of all, why lie?

I have known a lot of gay men in my life. Some of them have tried to "hide" the fact that they were gay. They denied it when asked. They even had girl friends to try to appear straight. It didn't help really. Everyone KNEW they were gay. But worse than being gay, they were screwed up from trying to deny what they were. They ended up being much happier when they admitted it to themselves and others. Your true friends won't care if you are gay or not.

The second thing is.. just because someone else thinks you are gay doesn't mean you are. You have to decide that for yourself. I view sexuality as a scale from homesexual to heterosexual. Most people are somewhere in the middle. Just because you might have occassional thoughts or dream about having sex with someone of the same sex doesn't mean you must be gay. Take time and figure it out before you decide.

I included the second thing because I assume you are young and perhaps impressionable. It may not apply in your case if you already know but others may read this too. Don't feel you have to be something just because everyone expects it. You don't have to be gay just because you feel everyone thinks you are. You don't have to be straight just because you feel everyone thinks you should be. Find what makes you happy. People will accept you when you accept yourself.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:21 am
You could always go for the over-the-top answer.

"Thank God you finally asked! Can we have buttsecks now? I've been dying to have buttsecks with you! You make my d!ck look like a roadmap!"

Then again, Phoenix had a good point.

"Why do you ask?" always works for me when people ask too-intimate questions.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:27 am
Are you wondering if other men DO get asked, at all, kingofmen? Like, are you worried that you're obviously gay, and hoping that people are asking you just because it's one of those inscrutable male rituals and that the asking doesn't mean that you're being obvious, necessarily?

I'm not a guy so couldn't answer that, if so. I don't think I've ever asked someone I knew IRL if they were gay. I either knew, or waited for it to become plain, or kept my mouth shut.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:37 am
Maybe they have someone in mind, and are looking to hook you up.
0 Replies