Why so many atheists etc here?

vikorr

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:25 pm
Out of curiosity, I notice as I've read these forums that many people who don't believe in God regularly post in this forum 'Spirituality and Religion', and I was curious as to why you do so (if you don't believe in god or a religion)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,283 • Replies: 117
No top replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:03 am
I used to pretty much keep my religious views to myself, but when 9/11 happened I guess you could say my cup runneth over. For me it is all about sunshine[/u]
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:21 am
Vicorr.
I'm only guessing, but I find it entertaining to read the reasons the religiose give, trying to make their beliefs, believable to us. But have noticed the obsessed believers, give up pretty quickly.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:28 am
I figured entertainment would apply to some, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be a reason for so many to post here (I could be wrong, hence why I'm asking).

I haven't quite read enough of this forum to notice if they give up easily or not. Most of the thread titles that I've found interesting weren't much populated by non religious people.

Personally the reason I've even read much in this forum is that it's amazing to me how 'one sided' many peoples views of religion is (whether for or against)...and so it's of great curiosity value to me (well, the against part is of great curiosity value to me...seeing as I was brought up a Christian, but haven't been religious for about 12 years, I know the 'for' side quite well).
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 01:20 am
Wow, where do I start?

For myself, I've always been fascinated by religion. I see it as a contagion in the human race, and I'd love to see an end to it. Theists arrive with so much myth, conceit, lies and propaganda that they are not even aware of. I like to point it out when they are simply wrong.

Example; So many arguments in support of theism begin with "Everything has a cause..." or "Order can't come from chaos"....and proceed with 10 paragraphs that stem from these. Neither is true.

Then there are topics such as "Evolution, How?" that should be answered honestly by people who know "how". There is a lot of misinformation that needs to be debunked.

I hold the scientific method in great esteem, and I loathe seeing it attacked in every situation that religions see as a threat, and enthusiastically embraced whenever it does not.

The issue of Intelligent Design is a perfect example of potentially great harm being inflicted upon children....one state in the USA tried to re-define the meaning of "science" !!!!

Next, it is important for theists to understand the POV of atheists. Many can't imagine what could possibly be wrong with having the 10 commandments on a courtroom wall.

So many reasons to debate on this forum, so little time!

Sometimes, we atheists even score a few converts along the way! Laughing

and then, there's my tagline.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:41 am
Re: Why so many atheists etc here?
vikorr wrote:
Out of curiosity, I notice as I've read these forums that many people who don't believe in God regularly post in this forum 'Spirituality and Religion', and I was curious as to why you do so (if you don't believe in god or a religion)?
Your question presupposes atheists would have little interest in spirituality & religion. I'll ask you: why would you presume atheists to have little interest in spirituality & religion? After all, spirituality & religion are pivotal and defining influences.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:52 am
Quote:
For myself, I've always been fascinated by religion. I see it as a contagion in the human race, and I'd love to see an end to it.

Hi Eorl, I can understand how people come to that conclusion, especially given religious history, and with how it affects people today. I find myself quite moderate towards the existence of religion (perhaps with the exception of Islam, which seems very warlike to me), but I understand each person how a person can hold such views. Certainly it gives me some understanding of why you post here. Do you find yourself similarly fascinated by how cultures form, and things like the concept of nationhood, and patriotism?

PS. on the subject of seeing the end of it...I'm not sure that's possible...it seems to me that it will always rear it's head in one form or another.

Quote:
I hold the scientific method in great esteem, and I loathe seeing it attacked in every situation that religions see as a threat, and enthusiastically embraced whenever it does not.

True, I've never understood the Christian rejection of how old the earth is (by the way, something I learnt recently - Islam has no problem with evolution). For some reason many/most Christians view the accounts of the bible infallible, which is simply not true.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:54 am
I am an agnostic, and I happen to agree with Eorl. I am also in agreement with Chumly. I am very interested in spirituality...............but I want to define the world through my own thinking, not accept some prepackaged concept.

I also believe that whatever good religion has done, has been overshadowed by the problems it has caused.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:04 am
Quote:
Your question presupposes atheists would have little interest in spirituality & religion. I'll ask you: why would you presume atheists to have little interest in spirituality & religion? After all, spirituality & religion are pivotal and defining influences.

Hmmm...you are quite right, I did have that presupposition. I guess I can only say that I have little to no knowledge of what an atheist is, other than not believing in God...so that probably explains the curiosity.

Quote:
but I want to define the world through my own thinking, not accept some prepackaged concept.

I also believe that whatever good religion has done, has been overshadowed by the problems it has caused.

Fair enough.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:09 am
I guess Im still trying to make up my own mind.
Also its intersting.
Although the obsessed christians make me angry.

I really really wanna see a debate between Eorl, and Run4fun.
Would you be up for that eorl?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:12 am
vikorr wrote:
Islam has no problem with evolution
Modern Islam has a very big problem with all the sciences, much more so than modern Christianity.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:18 am
Perhaps what I read was wrong. If I remember right it came from a book by Tariq Ali (who is an ex-muslim) called 'The Clash of Fundamentalisms'. I was somewhat disappointed in the authorship - very articulate/knowledgable and yet very childish at the same time (at many stages he doesn't bother to hide his dislike of America...so some parts sounded like a rant)

I've noticed Islam in many places has a problem with technology. I am not familiar with how far that extends into the realm of science itself. Do you have any references?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:19 am
Have a listen to Steven Weinberg and decide if you agree
http://beyondbelief2006.org/Watch/
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:28 am
vikorr,
You've asked what I probably would have bolluxxed-up into a big confrontational question, in a way that was neither confrontational nor ungraceful. Kudos.

(although I think that the "interest" some profess in spirituality and religion extends no further than to what extent they can riddle a belief system with holes- there! see what I mean? You've got to teach me some diplomacy Laughing )
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:29 am
I'm almost 10 minutes into the video, and it hasn't said anything on the subject yet (it's almost 2 hours long)...do you have an estimate of where in the video it is? It seems to be talking exclusively about Christianity atm.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:37 am
Quote:
vikorr,
You've asked what I probably would have bolluxxed-up into a big confrontational question, in a way that was neither confrontational nor ungraceful. Kudos.

(although I think that the "interest" some profess in spirituality and religion extends no further than to what extent they can riddle a belief system with holes- there! see what I mean? You've got to teach me some diplomacy )

Hi Snood,

Thanks for the compliment. I guess it's because I was truly curious.

I do notice that some 'attack' religion, but I also understand that people do what they do for reasons that are right for them...there is merit in their view (merit doesn't necessarily = right/truth or untruth, just that peoples views are based on reasons they believe). But that is only one aspect...as is shown by those who reply...so I'm curious Very Happy
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:41 am
vikorr wrote:
I'm almost 10 minutes into the video, and it hasn't said anything on the subject yet (it's almost 2 hours long)...do you have an estimate of where in the video it is? It seems to be talking exclusively about Christianity atm.
Oh I'm pretty sure when the first speaker (Steven Weinberg) is introduced he will start talking about Islam and the fact the modern Islam accepts technology but not science.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:43 am
Thanks...it starts about 20 min through Smile
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:49 am
snood wrote:
.....I think that the "interest" some profess in spirituality and religion extends no further than to what extent they can riddle a belief system with holes......
Shirley you cannot deny the need for healthy skepticism, after all, theologies are not based on methodological naturalism, and are thus the sole province of the imagination.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:10 am
Chumly wrote:
snood wrote:
.....I think that the "interest" some profess in spirituality and religion extends no further than to what extent they can riddle a belief system with holes......
Shirley you cannot deny the need for healthy skepticism, after all, theologies are not based on methodological naturalism, and are thus the sole province of the imagination.

I've no problem with "healthy skepticism", constructive criticism, intellectual curiosity...

I just wouldn't characterize some commentary that way. Some of it is sharpshooting, plain and simple.
0 Replies