Why so many atheists etc here?

snood

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:10 am
This was funny.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:18 am
You're not just saying that to make me feel better?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:22 am
Ok, I'm busted. Thought it'd get me some cool points...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:34 am
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:47 am
Okay, that one was kinda funny.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:27 pm
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
Do you think that politicos telling Democrats that Jesus would be pleased if the US expanded programs to combat poverty is acceptable? Is it using a religious issue as a wedge?

No and no, but the answers would be yes and yes if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to support poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased.

Really? You are saying 'yes it is acceptable if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to fight poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased'?

Why would it be acceptable to you for a politician to propose a program (or expansion of a program) on the grounds that doing so would fulfill the commands of Christ? (That is what they are saying when they say 'Jesus would be pleased with this.')

Does government really have a legitimate role fulfilling the commands of Christ, or doing something in order that 'Jesus would be pleased'?

I would not think that you would agree with that.

Well I certainly bungled that one didn't I? Good catch real life. This is what I intended to say...

Yes and no, but the answers would be no and yes if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to support poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased.

In your example the politico is merely finding COMMON GROUND with a portion of his/her constituency.

In my example the politico is using his/her opinion of what would please Jesus to DRIVE POLICY.

So it's OK if he lies about his reason for expanding the program (he's just finding 'common ground') but not if he really uses that reason as a means to sell the program.

Seems like a distinction without a difference in outcome. Both ways, it is being used to drive policy, is it not?

I would not have thought you would support it either way.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:48 pm
Sorry, Chumly.

Snood came out of that looking funnier than you !!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 09:40 pm
I'm sure you would be real hoot at a party, Chum. Smile
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:16 am
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
Do you think that politicos telling Democrats that Jesus would be pleased if the US expanded programs to combat poverty is acceptable? Is it using a religious issue as a wedge?

No and no, but the answers would be yes and yes if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to support poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased.

Really? You are saying 'yes it is acceptable if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to fight poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased'?

Why would it be acceptable to you for a politician to propose a program (or expansion of a program) on the grounds that doing so would fulfill the commands of Christ? (That is what they are saying when they say 'Jesus would be pleased with this.')

Does government really have a legitimate role fulfilling the commands of Christ, or doing something in order that 'Jesus would be pleased'?

I would not think that you would agree with that.

Well I certainly bungled that one didn't I? Good catch real life. This is what I intended to say...

Yes and no, but the answers would be no and yes if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to support poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased.

In your example the politico is merely finding COMMON GROUND with a portion of his/her constituency.

In my example the politico is using his/her opinion of what would please Jesus to DRIVE POLICY.

So it's OK if he lies about his reason for expanding the program (he's just finding 'common ground') but not if he really uses that reason as a means to sell the program.

Lie? What Lie? Your example did not give a reason for expanding programs.

Quote:
Seems like a distinction without a difference in outcome. Both ways, it is being used to drive policy, is it not?

No, in your example the only thing being driven is support.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:23 am
neologist wrote:
I'm sure you would be real hoot at a party, Chum. Smile
Humor is the spiritual super glue that unites both theists and atheists alike, just don't get it stuck on your eyelids.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:32 am
Nothing that a little acetone won't get out !
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 01:29 am
Acetone is more likely to evoke religious delusions than open mindedness, peyote however is another matter altogether Drunk
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 10:44 pm
Re: Why so many atheists etc here?
vikorr wrote:
Out of curiosity, I notice as I've read these forums that many people who don't believe in God regularly post in this forum 'Spirituality and Religion', and I was curious as to why you do so (if you don't believe in god or a religion)?

Well, it's a forum, discussion. I happen not to believe in god. How can their be so many Gods? Allah says, that there are 99 virgins waiting for any suicide bomber. Sure it's way out there, but it's their God.
I think that people want to believe in something other then themselves. Organized religion is a joke. If one really believes, they do not need a church to go to, do they?
Science has pretty much found that evolution decided the order of life.
If nothing else, I might believe that God created the Earth and let people do with it what they may. It looks like man is doing a good job of destroying it huh!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:37 am
Quote:
How can their be so many Gods?

Hi Snookered,

If you know this, forgive me, but it's not clear from your quote : The biggest religions say there is only one God, and the two biggest (Islam and Christianity) both believe in the same God (but different lesser beliefs), and said God is also the God of Judaism.

As a sidenote, I've known many people who believe in the concept of 'God' without believing in religions.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 12:00 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
How can their be so many Gods?

Hi Snookered,

If you know this, forgive me, but it's not clear from your quote : The biggest religions say there is only one God, and the two biggest (Islam and Christianity) both believe in the same God (but different lesser beliefs), and said God is also the God of Judaism.

As a sidenote, I've known many people who believe in the concept of 'God' without believing in religions.

Why only include the "biggest" religions? Islam and Christianity have different gods. What happens if one of them believe in the wrong God? Not to mention the hundreds of Gods others believe in.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:07 pm
In the first part of Genesis it is polytheistic. Just shows how screwed up the Bible is.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:50 pm
Quote:
Why only include the "biggest" religions?

Well, if any of them could be right, perhaps one is right and the rest are wrong…then again...

Quote:
Islam and Christianity have different gods.

No, they don't. They both worship the same God that Abraham worshiped.

Quote:
In the first part of Genesis it is polytheistic. Just shows how screwed up the Bible is.

The bible contradicts itself on a number of things, but I'm not familiar with this one. Could you provide a bit more info on the polytheism ?

Apart from that...the threads main purpose was to seek the differing reasons that atheists post here :wink:
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:26 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
Why only include the "biggest" religions?

Well, if any of them could be right, perhaps one is right and the rest are wrong…then again...

Quote:
Islam and Christianity have different gods.

No, they don't. They both worship the same God that Abraham worshiped.

Quote:

The bible contradicts itself on a number of things, but I'm not familiar with this one. Could you provide a bit more info on the polytheism ?

Apart from that...the threads main purpose was to seek the differing reasons that atheists post here :wink:

OK, I am wrong about the same God. So how about all the other Gods out there?
I'm an Agnostic. Everyone is actually, because no one knows
for sure there is a God...Just a belief.
As I said before, my belief goes as far as, God may have planted the seed, but evolution takes over.
All this about the immaculate conception, Adam and Eve, Parting of the red sea, etc. in the bible makes for a good fictional book.
As far as "why do Atheists post here", how else could the question be answered.
My question is why do such a small amount of Christians post?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:49 pm
Quote:
OK, I am wrong about the same God. So how about all the other Gods out there?

A question that's always fascinated me. I don't have any good answer for it, except that people find answers as best they can (and for many, that would have come about through indoctrination)

Quote:
I'm an Agnostic. Everyone is actually, because no one knows
for sure there is a God...Just a belief.

Well, Christians (don't know about other religions) openly admit their religion is based on faith in the unknown (though I doubt they'd put it in those exact words)…but some/many have a hard time admitting that some things the bible says are known to be wrong.

Quote:
As I said before, my belief goes as far as, God may have planted the seed, but evolution takes over.

Fair enough belief.

Quote:
All this about the immaculate conception, Adam and Eve, Parting of the red sea, etc. in the bible makes for a good fictional book.

Comes back to the faith system I guess.

Quote:
As far as "why do Atheists post here", how else could the question be answered.
My question is why do such a small amount of Christians post?

Probably because like minded people group together, and it's not fun being attacked for your beliefs. Maybe other reasons.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:26 pm
I don't have a Bible on me at the moment, but in the first part of Genesis it mentions "Gods" and is not refering to another religion.
0 Replies