Why so many atheists etc here?

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 10:51 am
Setanta wrote:
Geeze, Neo, you should know better than to just make a statement about Revelations without actually quoting the verse to which you refer. Why don't you pony up, let others judge for themselves is the verse to which you refer actually does predict an event as you characterize it? . . .
OH, Just wanted to see if anyone was reading. . . Then I read the post about Timber. I sure will miss the old bird.

But anyway, chapters 17 and 18 of the book of revelation describe the destruction of Babylon the Great, which can be nothing other than the aggregate of all perverted and God dishonoring religions.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:06 am
ossobuco wrote:
One of the posters here on this forum was Timberlandko, a fellow with vast background knowledge on theology and much more. May he rest in peace.

Not being a prolific or long term poster I'd like to leave the specific topic in the General forum for such people who knew him best etc. I saw this post and, though not a prolific writer, I have read along these forums for several years and you do build up a sense of people. "Integrity" sprung to my mind regarding Timberlandko, I saw him most in this very forum and being a computer enthusiast myself knew of his knowledge in this area too. Last night when I was reading the topic in the general forum I really felt for so many, his closest family and friends of course but also so many on this site. I just wanted to quickly post this in reply because I can see a fair few are hurting. That's all.

RIP.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:09 pm
Well said Ashers. Integrity for sure. There could be no finer exemplar than timber that ethics and morals need not religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:26 pm
neologist wrote:
But anyway, chapters 17 and 18 of the book of revelation describe the destruction of Babylon the Great, which can be nothing other than the aggregate of all perverted and God dishonoring religions.

I know that you are honest enough to admit that even were the likelihood reasonably rated at 99.995%, there is no good basis for you to say that chapters of scripture, and especially of a book of scripture of so ambiguous a character as is Revelations--there can only be one meaning to anything. However, even if one stipulates your meaning, you still have the problem of the very subjective nature of saying that this or that belief is "perverted," and "god-dishonoring." Such a point of view can only be predicated upon religious particularism and a religious supremacist point of view.

More to the point, in the context of you having quoted Vikorr, who referred to Islam--your comment to the effect that there were a: powerful worldwide organization will nearly succeed in wiping out religions entirely--could only refer to Islam. But that is not necessarily what i thought you had in mind. Do you care to elaborate, and to tell us what the character of such an organization would be, or is?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:39 pm
Re: Why so many atheists etc here?
vikorr wrote:
Out of curiosity, I notice as I've read these forums that many people who don't believe in God regularly post in this forum 'Spirituality and Religion', and I was curious as to why you do so (if you don't believe in god or a religion)?

It's because we like pissing theists off.

No, it's because we (at least me) like trying to prove a point to people. It's like doing a debating workout. Unforetuneately (did I spell that right?), the vast majority of everyone, atheists and theists, are unwilling to change or even review their inner beliefs.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

I know that you are honest enough to admit that even were the likelihood reasonably rated at 99.995%, there is no good basis for you to say that chapters of scripture, and especially of a book of scripture of so ambiguous a character as is Revelations--there can only be one meaning to anything. However, even if one stipulates your meaning, you still have the problem of the very subjective nature of saying that this or that belief is "perverted," and "god-dishonoring." Such a point of view can only be predicated upon religious particularism and a religious supremacist point of view.

More to the point, in the context of you having quoted Vikorr, who referred to Islam--your comment to the effect that there were a: powerful worldwide organization will nearly succeed in wiping out religions entirely--could only refer to Islam. But that is not necessarily what i thought you had in mind. Do you care to elaborate, and to tell us what the character of such an organization would be, or is?
Well, I had combined in my mind the posts of Eorl and Vikorr and made a comment about religion in general and a powerful organization which I believe I can show to be political. As for perverted and God dishonoring, I would refer to those religions (and there are so many as to be almost universal) who have through the years resorted to violence, torture and murder to advance their ends and including those who approved such acts tacitly.

If Jehovah is a God of love, as I believe, then those acts would certainly be God dishonoring and perverted.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:42 pm
real life wrote:
Do you think that politicos telling Democrats that Jesus would be pleased if the US expanded programs to combat poverty is acceptable? Is it using a religious issue as a wedge?

No and no, but the answers would be yes and yes if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to support poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased.

Quote:
BTW I do not favor the faith based initiatives of GWB.

It is good to see we have some common ground. The mixing or religion and government invites problems for religion also.

Quote:
And I commonly use his middle initial, as well as the middle (maiden) name of Hillary Rodham Clinton. Do you find the use of a middle name unacceptable? It is very common in politics (think JFK, FDR, Richard Milhous Nixon -- all often referred to with middle name or initial).

There is a commandment against fibbing.

Does it help to tell you I would vote Obama before I would ever vote Clinton?[/quote]
Not when it is exceedingly obvious that it would be a cold day in a hot place before you would vote for either of them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:44 pm
That's a plausible point of view, Neo, and one in which i would be unlikely to dissent with you. I see that you are dodging the question of what is the worldwide organization to which you refer--if, in fact, you have any currently existent organization in mind.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
That's a plausible point of view, Neo, and one in which i would be unlikely to dissent with you. I see that you are dodging the question of what is the worldwide organization to which you refer--if, in fact, you have any currently existent organization in mind.
One of my earliest topics, long since dead . . . http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1315471#1315471
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
neologist wrote:
If Jehovah is a God of love, as I believe, then those acts would certainly be God dishonoring and perverted.

Good grief neo, didn't you just quote revelation??
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:55 pm
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
One of my earliest topics, long since dead . . . http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1315471#1315471

You know, Boss, i kinda though that was what you had in mind, but was unwilling to say as much without direct confirmation from you.

You really need to cut back on the coffee, Boss, you're gettin' too wired . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 04:36 pm
What group is most likely to become fatally disgusted with the clergy's attempts to manipulate the world situation . . . and be in a position to do something about it?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 05:54 pm
The group Megadeth?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 09:24 pm
neologist wrote:
What group is most likely to become fatally disgusted with the clergy's attempts to manipulate the world situation . . . and be in a position to do something about it? (emphasis added)

Leaving aside that the UN is full of nations with strong relgious motivations--Muslim nations, Catholic nations, Protestant nations, at least one Hindu nation--i say leaving aside the absurdity of suggesting that you'd ever get a majority of the United Nations to agree to make the effort--what i Dog's name leads you to believe that the UN could do anything about it, even if they would ? ! ? ! ?

I am reminded of Cjhsa's paranoia that the blue-helmets are gonna come to take his guns away from him. Get a grip, Neo, you're smarter than that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 09:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
What group is most likely to become fatally disgusted with the clergy's attempts to manipulate the world situation . . . and be in a position to do something about it? (emphasis added)

Leaving aside that the UN is full of nations with strong relgious motivations--Muslim nations, Catholic nations, Protestant nations, at least one Hindu nation--i say leaving aside the absurdity of suggesting that you'd ever get a majority of the United Nations to agree to make the effort--what i Dog's name leads you to believe that the UN could do anything about it, even if they would ? ! ? ! ?

I am reminded of Cjhsa's paranoia that the blue-helmets are gonna come to take his guns away from him. Get a grip, Neo, you're smarter than that.
Does the UN currently lack the strength? Perhaps. But there are many who believe the world would be better off without religion. Were the acts of the clergy subject to more intense scrutiny, that number could only grow. . ..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 11:17 am
That is still no good reason to assume that there is any world-wide organization devoted to the extirpation of religion. And of all the candidates for such an evil plot, i personally find the United Nations the most laughable.

Priests have been around for many thousands of years, Neo, and the evidence is that they have always done very well, and likely will continue to do very well. Nobody has put them out of business yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:00 pm
Setanta wrote:
That is still no good reason to assume that there is any world-wide organization devoted to the extirpation of religion. And of all the candidates for such an evil plot, i personally find the United Nations the most laughable.

Priests have been around for many thousands of years, Neo, and the evidence is that they have always done very well, and likely will continue to do very well. Nobody has put them out of business yet.

The Soviet Union's failure is a good illustration of officially attempting to stamp out religion. It does not work out that way.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 09:52 pm
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
Do you think that politicos telling Democrats that Jesus would be pleased if the US expanded programs to combat poverty is acceptable? Is it using a religious issue as a wedge?

No and no, but the answers would be yes and yes if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to support poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased.

Really? You are saying 'yes it is acceptable if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to fight poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased'?

Why would it be acceptable to you for a politician to propose a program (or expansion of a program) on the grounds that doing so would fulfill the commands of Christ? (That is what they are saying when they say 'Jesus would be pleased with this.')

Does government really have a legitimate role fulfilling the commands of Christ, or doing something in order that 'Jesus would be pleased'?

I would not think that you would agree with that.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 12:25 am
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:

Really? You are saying 'yes it is acceptable if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to fight poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased'?

Why would it be acceptable to you for a politician to propose a program (or expansion of a program) on the grounds that doing so would fulfill the commands of Christ? (That is what they are saying when they say 'Jesus would be pleased with this.')

Does government really have a legitimate role fulfilling the commands of Christ, or doing something in order that 'Jesus would be pleased'?

I would not think that you would agree with that.

Well I certainly bungled that one didn't I? Good catch real life. This is what I intended to say...

Yes and no, but the answers would be no and yes if a politico expressed that he/she would press for expanded programs to support poverty BECAUSE Jesus would be pleased.

In your example the politico is merely finding COMMON GROUND with a portion of his/her constituency.

In my example the politico is using his/her opinion of what would please Jesus to DRIVE POLICY.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 02:57 am
neologist wrote:
What group is most likely to become fatally disgusted with the clergy's attempts to manipulate the world situation . . . and be in a position to do something about it?
Chumly wrote:
The group Megadeth?

Someone please tell me this is funny!
0 Replies