Why so many atheists etc here?

snookered

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:17 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
OK, I am wrong about the same God. So how about all the other Gods out there?

A question that's always fascinated me. I don't have any good answer for it, except that people find answers as best they can (and for many, that would have come about through indoctrination)

Quote:
I'm an Agnostic. Everyone is actually, because no one knows
for sure there is a God...Just a belief.

Well, Christians (don't know about other religions) openly admit their religion is based on faith in the unknown (though I doubt they'd put it in those exact words)Â…but some/many have a hard time admitting that some things the bible says are known to be wrong.

Quote:
As I said before, my belief goes as far as, God may have planted the seed, but evolution takes over.

Fair enough belief.

Quote:
All this about the immaculate conception, Adam and Eve, Parting of the red sea, etc. in the bible makes for a good fictional book.

Comes back to the faith system I guess.

Quote:
As far as "why do Atheists post here", how else could the question be answered.
My question is why do such a small amount of Christians post?

Probably because like minded people group together, and it's not fun being attacked for your beliefs. Maybe other reasons.

Are you being attacked? Not by me..You would know it if I were attacking you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:22 pm
aperson wrote:
I don't have a Bible on me at the moment, but in the first part of Genesis it mentions "Gods" and is not refering to another religion.

I'd be very interested in a textual reference when you "have one on you".
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:48 pm
Quote:
Are you being attacked? Not by me..You would know it if I were attacking you.

Well, I'm scratching my head here....where did you get the impression that I said that?

Quote:
I don't have a Bible on me at the moment, but in the first part of Genesis it mentions "Gods" and is not refering to another religion.

Hmmm...if vague memory serves me right, there might have been the one God word, with an 's' on the end of it...does it say 'the gods', or 'a gods'?. Perhaps the simplest explanation is that it is a typo, rather than a single word that espouses a belief system entirely contradictory to every other thing in the bible?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 09:41 pm
Well, I'm scratching my head here....where did you get the impression that I said that?

Vikorr...read the last two sentences.

Quote:

Probably because like minded people group together, and it's not fun being attacked for your beliefs. Maybe other reasons.[/quote]
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:53 pm
aperson wrote:
You are probably referring to Genesis 1:26 "Let us make man in our image. . ."

The book of Job makes a clarification here in ch. 38 vs. 7, regarding creation:
"When the morning stars joyfully cried out together,
And all the sons of God began shouting in applause . . ."

Divine beings, surely, but not equal to God.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:28 am
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:34 am
aperson wrote:

If you are online, a bible is only a click away. As Neo has already noted there is this verse....

Genesis 1:26
Quote:

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The Bible Explained
Blue Letter Bible

And then there is also this one.

Genesis 3:22
Quote:
22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

The Blue letter Bible is also handy for getting multiple translations of a verse, and as you can see the plurality is shown in all twelve translations.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:22 am
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Probably because like minded people group together, and it's not fun being attacked for your beliefs. Maybe other reasons

Hi snookered

Yes, I'm aware of what was written, I just don't see how you interepreted it as you did. I was responding to the question regarding why Christians don't post much here...the reply being my theory on why (are you assuming that I am a Christian?)
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:57 am
Genesis 1:26 shows a triune God.......The trinity...Father, Son and Holy Spirit....
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Probably because like minded people group together, and it's not fun being attacked for your beliefs. Maybe other reasons

Hi snookered

Yes, I'm aware of what was written, I just don't see how you interepreted it as you did. I was responding to the question regarding why Christians don't post much here...the reply being my theory on why (are you assuming that I am a Christian?)

Hi Vikorr
I interpreted your response of, "and it's not fun being attacked by your beliefs," with " Do you think I'm attacking you" because that would be the likely interpretation.
Aren't you the one who asked the question of, " Why do atheists post here" was your original question, easn't it? So you are attempting to answer your own question.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
Hi snookered,

Now I see how you arrived at that conclusion!

As to my original question, I was just curious as to why some atheists regularly post here, because atheism is not believing in any god/s, so it struck me as odd that some should regularly frequent a religious forum - something I'd never thought about before :wink:

And ss for why I'm here, as I've said in other posts, I used to be Christian, and I was curious as to what sort of threads were being posted - and saw all these posts by atheists which just which I thought I'd have a read of. While I'm no longer christian (basically I don't believe in the religion side of it anymore), I still have many Christian friends, and have no problem with the religion per se (as I'm happy for people to believe anything that makes them happy and isn't harmful...and those that are my friends are genuinely nice people). I also have no problem with atheistic views as I can see how they arrived at their beliefs, and it has a great deal of merit in it. I hope that helps a bit Smile
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:01 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
Genesis 1:26 shows a triune God.......The trinity...Father, Son and Holy Spirit....

So the fragmented personality disorder was evident way back in Genesis. Rex, Neo, do you agree with that assessment?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:25 pm
vikorr wrote:
Hi snookered,

Now I see how you arrived at that conclusion!

As to my original question, I was just curious as to why some atheists regularly post here, because atheism is not believing in any god/s, so it struck me as odd that some should regularly frequent a religious forum - something I'd never thought about before :wink:

And ss for why I'm here, as I've said in other posts, I used to be Christian, and I was curious as to what sort of threads were being posted - and saw all these posts by atheists which just which I thought I'd have a read of. While I'm no longer christian (basically I don't believe in the religion side of it anymore), I still have many Christian friends, and have no problem with the religion per se (as I'm happy for people to believe anything that makes them happy and isn't harmful...and those that are my friends are genuinely nice people). I also have no problem with atheistic views as I can see how they arrived at their beliefs, and it has a great deal of merit in it. I hope that helps a bit Smile

Hi Vikorr
I didn't look for this forum. Since that I am new, I explore as many Forums as I can. Just as you, curiousity made me read your or this topic.
I have been trying to make sense of god vs. evolution a long time. Since that there is more sense to evolution, I'm leaning that way.
Since I am so analytical, the bible is of little use in helping me understand, [believe] that a God exists. As I understand, the Bible is from stories told and witnessed. Trouble is, (if I'm correct ) the bible was written and accounts given many years after Jesus supposidly crucified. So as I have written, My current stance, That God may have set the seed for Human development, and achieved by evolution.
I have to wonder that if (there is a God) how he must feel with the out come of his creation.
One last question. If you decided that your no longer a Christian, are you now an athiest?
One more last question Laughing I'm confused by your statement "I don't believe on the religious side."
I've enjoyed our discussion quite a bit. But if you decide enough is enough I understand. I am however interested in your response, which can end our Dialog, on this topic.
Jim
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:40 pm
No I'm not an atheist - I still believe in a God (not necessarily in the style espoused by the bible), but I doubt that he pays much attention to this world...or perhaps he is the world/universe etc

I think the purpose in life is to seek to be happy, and to hold values that uphold our communities as a whole...so I suppose from that perspective, it is still very close to christian values, minus the bits about loving God, converting people etc.

Like you, I've considered the possibility that evolution is simply guided by God...this seems likely to me... but that's not to say it's right (or wrong).

Personally, I look at the complexity of life and wonder how it could develop this way without intelligent guidance...but hey, that's just my opinion...what is important to me is, as I said, seeking happiness (I say 'seeking' instead of 'being happy' because happiness goes up and down, and, we can always improve), and finding/contributing values that develop community spirit.

Best of luck in your search for your personal beliefs Smile

edit : btw, even when I was Christian I didn't have any real problems with evolution...the bible has it's contradictions, it has it's errors, and what most people forget is the Genesis story was handed down for (likely) thousands of years before it was recorded by moses...it's simply impossible to keep a story accurate over that period of time...and as you, I saw no reason why God couldn't simply have guided evolution (it's not a big issue to me...we are here now, and that's really what matters)
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:10 pm
Chumly wrote:

Who is the "our" in make man in our image? Who was he talking to. Im confused, are you taling about Jesus. God sent Jesus to earth to spread the word. man was already created obviously. Help me understand.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:05 pm
snookered wrote:
. . . .
Who is the "our" in make man in our image? Who was he talking to. Im confused, are you taling about Jesus. God sent Jesus to earth to spread the word. man was already created obviously. Help me understand.
Angels had already been created. Proverbs chapter 8 reveals God's relationship to a person, his first born (Jesus? Think about that.) who was there at the time man was created.

As for how we were created in God's image and does God possess toenails, it is well to consider that we are most like God in our attributes of love, justice, wisdom and free will.

Of course, Chumly will insist that somewhere in Genesis it is inferred that, on the 8th day God painted his toenails. But hey, Chumly is always good for a hoot.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:04 pm
It is easy to consider Satan as being a god as well.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:21 pm
maporsche wrote:
It is easy to consider Satan as being a god as well.
He is referred to in the bible as the god of this world.
0 Replies