The Conrad Black Trial

blatham

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:25 am
A trial deserving of a special set of bleachers out in the sun...rah rah hiss boom.

Quote:
BARBARA AMIEL: The Leading Lady

Among the dramatis personae of the Conrad Black story, Barbara Amiel is cast as Lady Macbeth - wielding a Hermes handbag.

PATRICK FITZGERALD: The Prosecutor

Patrick Fitzgerald spent 14 years without ever connecting the gas at his New York apartment. He was never there. He was practically living at work, where a change of clothes was always hanging on the office door and socks spilled out of the drawers.

EDWARD GREENSPAN: The Defender

Mr Greenspan is the lawyer who gets the call when Canada's rich and famous get into trouble. Probably the country's most famous criminal defence attorney, he has been able to turn even the most unpromising cases into miracle escapes.

HENRY KISSINGER: The Star Witness

Henry Kissinger is famously clever. Conrad Black is famously keen on showing how clever he is. The two struck up a friendship that gave Lord Black an entrée into polite political circles in the US, and eventually saw Kissinger join Hollinger's board.

DAVID RADLER: The Whistleblower

When a casually dressed David Radler stood in a Chicago courtroom in 2005 to plead guilty to a charge of mail fraud, he was serving up one of the corporate world's great acts of betrayal.

RICHARD PERLE: The Friend In High Places

Mr Perle, a stalwart of American neoconservatism for two decades and one of the biggest cheerleaders for the invasion of Iraq, was right at the heart of the conflicts of interest and personal enrichment that characterised Conrad Black's Hollinger empire in its pomp.

and more...much more

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2344771.ece
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,414 • Replies: 64
No top replies

blatham

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:42 am
The trial is in Chicago. I am assigning Joe (from there) to cover the story and report back. Don't fail us, joe.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:07 pm
I started a thread on this quite some time ago, and though some Canajuns initially responded, it rather withered on the vine. You might get some takers, though.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:31 pm
set

I expect that this trial will gain considerable attention and coverage. It does have a great cast and Black will not be able to keep his mouth shut. Fitzgerald as prosecutor has now a particularly acute zing, of course. And the neoconservative hatred for the fellow, following Libby's trial, alongside Black's connections to this crowd means that they won't be able to keep their mouths shut either. And Fitzgerald's case will be formidable. And Black is such an assshole. Fun, fun, fun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:50 pm
Oh, i'm sure it'll be fun--that's why i started at thread on it when he was indicted. I just don't think you'll get much attention from the crowd here--maybe when the verdict is finally in--maybe.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:02 pm
i think most canadians could care less

as long as he's found guilty and locked up in an amrican prison for the rest of his natural days
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:09 pm
So, I don't alway announce when I'm following threads, but will this time to let the discussers know that they've a listener.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:03 am
It's probably going to take time to work up an audience, since most Americans don't know about him yet. However, as the names you mentioned become entwined, and perhaps more dirty dealings are revealed, people will take notice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:13 am
Black

I didn't understand the situation very well, but this article helped a lot.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:54 am
Add Donald Trump to the roster of egomaniacs scheduled to stand astride the witness box.

Toronto Life has set aside the following domain for trial coverage as it begins... http://conradblacktrial.com/
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:32 am
It's an inverted pyramid resting on a you know what. (see Argive Helen).

The front row are supposed to be toothless and knit during the boring bits.

Dip yer bread in!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:05 am
dipping...

Quote:
Hollinger trial to start at the top
Black's replacement to lead off on stand

By Rudolph Bush
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 13, 2007

The man who replaced media mogul Conrad Black at the helm of Hollinger International Inc. will be the first to testify against Black when Black's corporate fraud trial gets under way.

Gordon Paris, who in 2003 headed up a group of independent directors investigating Black and top deputies, will take the stand for about two hours of direct testimony, prosecutors announced Monday.

Paris, who could be on the stand as early as March 20, is currently a board member of the Sun-Times Media Group Inc., as Hollinger was renamed after Black's ouster as chairman and chief executive.

Paris is expected to testify about his investigation into Black's business practices as head of Hollinger.

The investigation began with a request from Hollinger investors and resulted in a blistering report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission that accused Black and top deputies of lining their pockets with more than $90 million.

Based in large part on the report, prosecutors investigated and charged Black and four other Hollinger executives with fleecing what was then one of the world's largest newspaper companies.

One of those executives, former Chicago Sun-Times Publisher David Radler, has pleaded guilty and is expected to be a star witness for the prosecution.

If found guilty on all counts, the 62-year-old Black could face 15 years in prison and the forfeiture of an additional $53 million.

The trial is expected to draw hundreds of reporters and photographers from the U.S., Canada, England and Australia to U.S. District Judge Amy St. Eve's courtroom at the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0703120477mar13,1,4655045.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:20 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i think most canadians could care less

as long as he's found guilty and locked up in an amrican prison for the rest of his natural days

Ah, man, that made me laugh dj Razz

Marking.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:25 pm
The lunch crowd at work is be fairly anti-Connie, unless they've never heard of him.

I think it'll make a great movie of the week - who will play Ms. Amiel?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:39 pm
 http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Business/Pix/pictures/2007/03/01/black372.jpg

Sophia Coppola directs Bette Davis
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:43 pm
Ahahaha.

I'm sorry.

Snork.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:52 pm
Now here's something until the juicy bits out:

Rick Mercer

I generally like Rick Mercer. In the end, this had a POV I wasn't expecting. I disagree with it too...unless he's acquitted, in which case he waits in line.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:59 pm
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Business/Pix/pictures/2007/03/01/black372.jpg

that just couldn't stay a link
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 06:31 am
Not really much here, but the bleachers are anxious for all to begin. You "have to, you know...uh...feed the monkey." (10 points for allusion spotting).

Quote:
Conrad Black's lawyer gets on wrong side of judge

Andrew Clark in Chicago
Thursday March 15, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

It was an embarrassing start to Conrad Black's trial for the media magnate's Canadian defence attorney, Edward Greenspan, who learned the hard way from the judge that he needs to watch his tongue when giving media interviews.

Mr Greenspan, who is among Canada's most famous lawyers, was hauled over the coals for making tongue-in-cheek remarks about his treatment as a foreigner in America's legal system.

In front of a packed courtroom on the first day of the case, judge Amy St Eve berated Mr Greenspan for making "patently wrong" comments about a special waiver giving him the right to practice in Chicago's federal court.
http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2034427,00.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 06:41 am
Quote:
Canada eagerly awaits outcome of Lord Black trial
By Hugh Winsor in Ottawa
Published: 15 March 2007
Just about everything about Conrad Black is larger than life, including his trial that began yesterday in Chicago and the saturation media coverage that has dominated Canadian media as anticipation builds that the man who has belittled his former Canadian countrymen for so long will finally get his come uppance.

In an Angus Reid poll on the weekend, 59 per cent of the respondents said they would not feel sorry about a Black conviction.

Although Lord Black of Crossharbour is frequently referred to as a Canadian tycoon and press baron, he is no longer either a Canadian or a newspaper owner. Former Prime Minister Jean Chretien forced him to renounce his Canadian citizenship in 2001 to accept his British peerage and his media holding company, Hollinger International is now an empty shell.

That has in no way diminished the Canadian interest in his trial in Chicago for 14 charges of fraud, money laundering, obstruction of justice and racketeering. Many of the accusations relate to some $84-million he and three colleagues extracted from purchasers of his various titles for non-compete clauses.

Both the media and political commentators are taking great glee in the fact Lord Black is trying to get his Canadian citizenship back. That is because Canada has an exchange treaty with the United States that would allow him to serve his prison term in Canada if he is convicted. Much has also been made of the fact his lead defense counsel, Eddie Greenspan, is trying to prevent any references to Mr. Black as "Lord", assuming that would not go down well with Chicago jurors.

In spite of his status as an indicted felon awaiting trial, Lord Black and his glamorous wife Barbara Amiel continue to cut a swath through Canadian society showing up for balls and charities as well as the widely-publicized launch of his biography of U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Nor has he been shy about the ever present microphones, quick to denounce the "poltroons" and "witless placemen" who have conspired, he argues, to destroy him. In equally colourful language, he predicts a complete vindication and promises revenge against this detractors.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2359080.ece

Actually, Canadians I know are happily watching all of this because Black is a meglomaniac, an authoritarian and (it follows) a bully.
0 Replies