The Conrad Black Trial

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:38 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
blatham wrote:
I vote for Patrick Fitzgerald as the next AG.

Don't be fooled. Fitzgerald is a Republican. I suspect that, if he has any political ambitions at all, he will try to emulate Jim Thompson and use the federal prosecutor's office as a stepping-stone to the Illinois governor's mansion.

Here's a post, given the individual in question, where I'd consider party affiliation irrelevant.

You'd disagree?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:39 pm
blatham wrote:
Here's a post, given the individual in question, where I'd consider party affiliation irrelevant.

You'd disagree?

Absolutely.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:45 pm
...hanging...hanging...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 12:55 pm
Why wouldn't party affiliation be relevant? I certainly believe that there is a fundamental difference between Republicans and Democrats when it comes to law enforcement and the judiciary. I, for one, wouldn't want an Alberto Gonzalez or Edwin Meese heading the AG's office under a president Obama or Clinton (II).

Now, if your position is that the person is more important than the party, I won't necessarily disagree. But that just means that party affiliation is less important than some other factor, not that it's irrelevant. Frankly, I would no more trust the average Republican running the justice department than I'd trust the average conterfeiter running the bureau of engraving.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:29 am
Smile Nicely put.
0 Replies