If Jesus had known...

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:15 pm
Assuming that Jesus Christ really did what the bible says he did, do you think he still would have done it if he knew what would come of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,371 • Replies: 102
No top replies

tessxyz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:23 pm
He would, is not a dream what drive us humans?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:25 pm
I don't think he would. Same as I don't think Oppenheimer would do what he did if he'd known what was going to happen.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:30 pm
I think he would have just stayed a carpenter. I know I would.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:35 pm
He was a pragmatic optimist. A rare find these days.

His crucifiction was apparently foretold...

What irks me is the effigies showing him as a thin weakling.

He was a goddamned carpenter, back when electricity was the work of the devil.

He would have been built like a brick shithouse.

http://holylandnetwork.com/jesus/titian_2.htm

How else could he have stopped a stoning in an arab enclave? Huh?

With kind words? Or with a wrath to be feared?
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:40 pm
Quote:
Oppenheimer
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:54 pm
Hmm... While the aftermath of the Buddha was pretty much what he aimed for, I am pretty sure that the aftermath of Jesus is the exact opposite of what he had in mind.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:03 pm
Quote:
While the aftermath of the Buddha was pretty much what he aimed for, I am pretty sure that the aftermath of Jesus is the exact opposite of what he had in mind.

They preached the same values. However their philosophy had a different impact. Blame human history and it's influence on us.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:37 pm
Most of the depictions of Christ I have seen prove he had "abs of steel".
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 12:43 am
I thought he did-does know all things past present and the future. Wasn't Jesus gods son ?... didn't god arrange for his son to get knocked off, then have him returned home to dad.. ( I assume in good condition ) thus making it possible for us to "sin" without having to pay any price for them?... my Christian relations and friends seem to think so, though I must admit they seem to fluctuate somewhat with the " paying for sins bit ".
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:06 am
Quote:
thus making it possible for us to "sin" without having to pay any price for them?

Everyone I talk to about the process of raising children, and I mean EVERYONE, agrees that if the child doesn't have to pay for any "sins" or mistakes it does it will grow up to be an immoral spoiled brat with no strength so tackle life. Yea.. god is good.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:36 am
Perhaps some reading of the Bible is in order here for the original poster. Jesus DID know exactly what was going to happen and He obviously chose to go through with it anyway, thank God.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 07:13 am
No. Jesus didn't know that a cult would arise calling themselves christians. And he didn't know that this cult would become the most powerful in the world for centuries, killing countless people becuase Jesus supposedly said it was right to do so. He didn't know that his words were going to be forced on people at the edge of a sword, and that those who questioned the dogmas would be burnt alive.
He didn't know that this would go on for two thousand years and is likely to go on a lot longer.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:49 am
Cyracuz wrote:
No. Jesus didn't know that a cult would arise calling themselves christians. And he didn't know that this cult would become the most powerful in the world for centuries, killing countless people becuase Jesus supposedly said it was right to do so. He didn't know that his words were going to be forced on people at the edge of a sword, and that those who questioned the dogmas would be burnt alive.
He didn't know that this would go on for two thousand years and is likely to go on a lot longer.

I hope he didn't know.....otherwise Jesus is just an asshole.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:07 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

Would you mind giving scripture to back this up?
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:27 pm
I am all puzzled now. Would Jesus have believed that what he preached would disappear after him? Didn't he tell his disciples to spread his word? Didn't he expect his followers to expand in numbers?

Maybe he did not know that it would expand on such a large scale globally. Travelling was limited at that time, and America has not been "discovered" yet.

Certainly he did not expect people to spread his word with force. I wonder where people got the idea that that was the way to do it. Are there some ancient religions that were imposed by force also?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:13 pm
Quote:

If I had said that he did know I would understand the request for scripture. Where does Jesus say: "There will be a new religion in my name, and they will murder millions and collect great wealth"? Nowhere.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:32 pm
But Jesus, being as omniscient as his Father, would have known about all the coming carnage.

Joe(merciful god)Nation
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:16 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

If I had said that he did know I would understand the request for scripture. Where does Jesus say: "There will be a new religion in my name, and they will murder millions and collect great wealth"? Nowhere.

Nice try at the dodge Cyracuz. You made the statement he didn't know, so it is up to you to provide your evidence for this. I can provide plenty of scripture proving otherwise.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:17 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
But Jesus, being as omniscient as his Father, would have known about all the coming carnage.

Joe(merciful god)Nation

I gotta give you that one Joe. He knew of it. He also knew of those that don't partake in it too. Good to see you! It's been awhile!
0 Replies