Tour De France: have your say

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 07:08 am
Didn't want to disagree at all!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 07:36 am
You have to remember Lance was kind of a directionless kid who discovered focus "thanks" to his horrendous battle with cancer. I suspect his almost inhuman dedication to specific goals is related to his surviving cancer by using that method. He may well have a dose of superstition about it: narrow focus = survival.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 09:22 am
Some surprise on the last day :wink:

Chapeau for all the cyclists and congrats to Lance Armstrong!

(And to the surprising Jean-Patrick Nazon as well!)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:17 am
From sfgate.com:

"It's incredible to win again," he said.

The indefatigable Texan overcame illness, crashes, dehydration, team and equipment problems, and uncharacteristic bad days during the 23-day, 2,125-mile, clockwise slog around France to win by his smallest-ever margin -- 61 seconds over five-time runner-up Jan Ullrich of Germany.

Armstrong, who had never won by less than six minutes, said his fifth title was "definitely the hardest" but "feels better" than the previous four, when he demoralized rivals by dominating in lung-burning mountain ascents and super-speedy time trials.

A staunch perfectionist, Armstrong said the closeness of the victory was already motivating him to come roaring back in 2004.

"The other years I won by six, seven minutes. I think it makes it more exciting and sets up an attempt for No. 6," he said. "Before the Tour started I was very confident about winning. But before next year's Tour, I won't be so confident."
0 Replies

max

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:27 am
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Way to go Lance!!
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:13 pm
Cooke takes the green jersey. Sadly our Flemish Aussie Robbie didn't pull it off in the final sprint.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:24 pm
Armstrong has now joined the pantheon, but will his attempt to become Zeus be over reach?
0 Replies