Morning Coffee/Pick-Me-Up or Caffeine Withdrawal Help?

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:15 am
Quote:
Coffee 'no boost in the morning'

That morning cuppa may not actually help get you going
That morning latte or espresso may not be the pick-me-up people think it is, a study has revealed.
University of Bristol researchers say the caffeine eases withdrawal symptoms which build up overnight, but does not make people more alert than normal.

The work, presented to the British Nutrition Foundation conference, showed only people who have avoided coffee for a while will get a buzz from caffeine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6422279.stm?ls

Do YOU need your coffee to get your engine running? What happens if you are unable to get a cup of morning coffee?

I have not drunk coffee, even decaf, in years. I never was much of a coffee drinker anyhow, usually having no more than one, or rarely two cups a day. I found that coffee, even decaf, causes me these gawdawful dizzy spells.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,340 • Replies: 25
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:24 am
I drink coffee in the morning and in the early evening. One of life's small pleasures. I don't think of it as a pick me up, just enjoy it. In my older age, I often only have half a cup anymore.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:41 am
I'm a tea drinker.

Until about six years ago I guzzled coffee, but during chemo treatments the smell and taste of coffee became very unpleasant.

Until 10-11 I drink proper tea with proper caffine, then I switch to herbal teas.

I find the ritual to be a bit part of the caffine jolt--a ceremonial marking of the transition from inert night to active day.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:44 am
I drink approximately 15 to 20 cups of coffee a day. If my body isn't vibrating I know I haven't had enough coffee.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
Re: Morning Coffee/Pick-Me-Up or Caffeine Withdrawal Help?
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Do YOU need your coffee to get your engine running? What happens if you are unable to get a cup of morning coffee?

I have not drunk coffee, even decaf, in years. I never was much of a coffee drinker anyhow, usually having no more than one, or rarely two cups a day. I found that coffee, even decaf, causes me these gawdawful dizzy spells.

I don't think that it's the caffeine most people need. I think it's the thought of coffee and the way we perceive coffee that people need. We think that it wakes us u, that it should wake us up and so it does. It's routine.

I switched to half and half when I got preggers and don't notice any difference in how I feel before and after my coffee.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:04 am
I have started a Starbuck Anonymous chapter in my neighborhood Starbucks. We meet every morning over Grande Skim Lattes or the occasional Redeye. (That's a Grande with an extra shot, but you won't see that "redeye" term on the menu, you have to ask the barrista.) We have all taken the pledge to reduce our coffee intake by only consuming coffee in the presence of all of the other members of the chapter.

So far we are down to thirty seven meetings

a day.

Joe(I am as bright as a new George Washington dollar)Nation
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:21 am
I drink Met-Rx in the morning.

I enjoy coffee flavored things, but never drink coffee. Don't drink too much caffeine, and if I do it's in the morning/early afternoon. Diet Coke, Red Bull. One time I drank enough Red Bull to kill a buffalo, but instead I rocked myself to sleep in a fetal position sitting in my closet while Portishead was playing in the background.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:24 am
I drink a full pot of coffee pretty much every morning. I don't need it to get going though. I need it to stave off the caffine withdrawl headaches I get at about noon if I don't drink it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:51 am
I'm a tea drinker, sometimes 2 cups, every morning. About twice a week I have a cuppa coffee, usually in the afternoon.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:00 am
I've unintentionally cut back on my coffee consumption in the last few years. Since using a sugar substitute, I've gone from maybe three or four cups to one, maybe two cups a day.
It's been a long time but I remember, at my four cup a day stage, that if I didn't have at least two full cups, by the afternoon, I'd have a raging headache. My mother hipped me to the whole withdrawal business. Before then, I'd never even thought of coffee or caffeine as a narcotic.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:20 am
I make a pot of coffee in the morning. I drink a cup and my son Nigel drinks
a cup with breakfast. When I leave for work, I pour a cup into my travel
mug for the ride in and the rest into a thermos. The travel mug gets me to
work. The thermos gets me through the morning. In midafternoon, one of
my coworkers and I go out for a cup of coffee. I prefer a 16 oz. Caffe
Americano.

I can pretty much take it or leave it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:44 am
I drink one strong cup of coffee in the morning, and it lasts me all
day long. Since my coffee tastes excellent, I rarely drink coffee anywhere
else.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:50 am
I had to give up caffeine when my blood pressure started inching up. I like the taste of coffee in the morning, so I switched to decaf.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:02 am
I probably have ten cups of full caffeinated coffee a week, usually in the morning. That might look like twenty cups, as I tend to throw out lukewarm coffee. This is way down from when I used to drink scads of it back in my lab days.

I have tea in the afternoon sometimes, once, maybe twice a week, usually black or green tea, but sometimes herbal. Have been thinking about drinking more tea and less coffee. I like those Pixie brand mixes, like Pixie Mate.

As for absolutely needing it to get going, perhaps, but I like the taste of good coffee and like drinking something hot in the morning. I don't drink many caffeinated sodas a year - like mineral water with lemon or lime or orange squeezed in much better, or ice water with lemon...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:31 am
I'm in the "never drink coffee" group.

I never liked the flavor and have had maybe three cups of coffee my whole life.

I did drink caffeinated beverages until a few years ago when I realized that I was addicted to caffeine. I stop drinking caffeinated Diet Cokes and ice tea, etc. Now I have caffeine only when I actually need it to stay alert while driving or some such.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:54 pm
I enjoy my coffee at least twice a day, I drink it black the way it was intended to be consumed. My sister used to chew coffee beans...that was just sick!

My first cup of coffee was poured from my father's percolator and I almost died it was so awful (I was 8 at the time), naturally the following year I tested out my father's hand rolled cigarettes...they made me sick so I started popping coins into a machine and getting the packaged ones.

My appreciation of coffee began with the strange concoction sold on the Satan's Island Ferry (often known as the Staten Island Ferry). It had milk and sugar and from then on I loved coffee. Coffee ice cream soon followed, and the day I drank the liter bottle of Kahlua...not a wise idea. Then one day I bought a Norelco coffee maker and started consuming a pot of coffee every morning. Eventually I realized that was a bit much...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:59 pm
Sturgis wrote:
my father's percolator

The best! I don't know why I didn't keep my old percolator. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

malek

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:05 pm
I love strong black coffee but have no tolerance for caffeine. If I drink coffee anytime after mid day I know I'll be awake most of the night.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 08:34 pm
I have to have a cup as soon as I get up in the morning. After that I only drink 2-3 more cups throughout the day. Unfortunately they are 20 oz cups. I'm addicted.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:35 am
I like this thread. Nobody talk to me before I've had my fill of coffee in the morning. Very Happy

Swimpy, that's interesting what you said. I thought that coffee affects the blood pressure, so I started to cut down and had all those withdrawal symptons, and I decided since I only live one life, I would rather live a happy life with coffee than a miserable one without coffee. But I asked my doctor, and he said there is no relation between coffee and high blood pressure.

I drink instant coffee, because the other kind is "too strong" for me. I used to drink many cups during the working day (4 extra-large), in addition to those I drink at home, and they made me totally high strung. Now, with instant coffee, I can drink tons and tons, no problem.
0 Replies