Mitt Romney

maporsche

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 11:55 am
okie wrote:
Duh, I don't believe Muslims are as conventional in terms of mainstream American politics, in general. Theres nothing bigoted about that opinion, I just think it is factual.

I could see that statement being true about a Muslim from the middle east....but what about your American born and raised Muslim (you know, the kind that could run for President).
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 12:02 pm
Each person would have to be judged on their own merits. It would depend upon one of the most troublesome issues, that of the meaning of "jihad," and whether that candidate, although perhaps not openly espousing it, whether they might have more sympathies to it and would therefore have a different attitude toward terrorist organizations and Middle East policy. Their religion may also influence their opinions about civil rights, womens rights, and a host of other things. Again, it isn't their religion, but what their religion may cause them to do in terms of policy. After all, people usually do not embrace a religion unless they believe the principles of that religion.

Any person is free to espouse any religion they wish, and as long as they are law abiding, I am happy to have them as neighbors and even friends, but that is different than voting for someone that makes policies that I may not agree with.
0 Replies