Mitt Romney

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:57 am
Quote:
Obama may be full of S***, but I would never refer to him as illiterate.

Relative to the history of race relations on Chicago's SouthSide over the past 60 years, Obama knows little or nothing of any signficance.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:47 pm
Re: Mitt Romney
Gala wrote:
Okay, so maybe this ought to be in religion-- But, what are your opinions about his being a Mormon and the possibility he would be president. I feel like a total knucklehead because I am not comfortable with it-- so I need to be enlightened.

I think it's got something to do with the multiple wives, and the conservative views of the church.

Maybe someone from Massachusetts can weigh in on what kind of a governor he was.

Sorry, but your feelings are on point - you are a knucklehead for feeling uncomfortable about Romney being a Mormon.

At least you appreciate your knuckleheadedness.

Mormons are Christians, and in many ways they live Christianity far more truly than their brothers and sisters of other denominations.

Worrying about Romney's faith is quite similar to worrying about Hilary's gender or Obama's race.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:27 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Gala wrote:
Okay, so maybe this ought to be in religion-- But, what are your opinions about his being a Mormon and the possibility he would be president. I feel like a total knucklehead because I am not comfortable with it-- so I need to be enlightened.

I think it's got something to do with the multiple wives, and the conservative views of the church.

Maybe someone from Massachusetts can weigh in on what kind of a governor he was.

Sorry, but your feelings are on point - you are a knucklehead for feeling uncomfortable about Romney being a Mormon.

Mormons are Christians, and in many ways they live Christianity far more truly than their brothers and sisters of other denominations.

Worrying about Romney's faith is quite similar to worrying about Hilary's gender or Obama's race.

Finn's got this one right. Actually, half right.

Why worry whether Mormonism is "proper" Christianity? Why not reach for the promise of freedom in your constitution and bill of rights? Why not just disregard as irrelevant the fellow's specific faith or lack of faith?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 12:44 pm
The Mormon church mainly functions as a support group for middle class people trying to raise children, which is commendable. Moreover the church itself has served as a bulwark against the power of the federal government in the west which is badly needed, particularly during the eight-year reign of terror of the KKKlinton regime.

The fact that Mormon theology is clearly in need of work is a relatively minor problem since most people do not really give a rat's ass about theology.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Gala wrote:

Of course I know I'm being irrational and discriminatory in my thinking. Then again, Bush's Evangelism has bled over into the state part of church and state and it's caused a whole lot trouble for a whole lot of innocent good people.

And, one more point-- I would not be comfortable with Joe Lieberman as president because he's a conservative Jew. I am Jewish, still, I suppose you could accuse me of being antisemitic, but I don't care.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:49 am
I happen to be Jewish too, but I'm not comfortable with Lieberman as President because he's an idiot...not because of his religious beliefs.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:12 am
Miller wrote:
Obama has been rather mute about what he's accomplished in politics and what he plans to accomplish.

You mean, apart from the books he's written?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:33 am
Ragman wrote:
I happen to be Jewish too, but I'm not comfortable with Lieberman as President because he's an idiot...not because of his religious beliefs.

Well, apart from his being kind of dorky and corny, I don't think he's an idiot. If he were Reform I would be more willing to back him.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:35 am
nimh wrote:
Miller wrote:
Obama has been rather mute about what he's accomplished in politics and what he plans to accomplish.

You mean, apart from the books he's written?

Obama has said to the press something like "You people keep on saying I have no positions on anything-- well, instead of covering what I look like in a bathing suit why don't you read my books." (Paraphrased)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:44 am
insanity
Gala, why should his religious beliefs being Orthodox Jewish matter? It's his insane backing of Bush's Iraqi war that makes him an idiot...even after most of the world's sentient beings decided it was a failed and futile effort.

I could care less about a candidate's relgious beliefs. It's their actions as lawmakers that matters.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:50 am
Re: insanity
Ragman wrote:

I could care less about a candidate's relgious beliefs. It's their actions as lawmakers that matters.

Not to everyone Ragman.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:58 am
what about to you?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:01 am
Ragman wrote:
what about to you?

I would much prefer a canidate w/o ANY religious belief. But since that is rarer than ice water in hell, I'm forced to take the position that all religious beliefs are equally infantile and bass-ackwards and I choose a canidate based on their policies and my belief in their ability to fullfill their promises and represent me as a citizen. Their individual religious beliefs do not matter to me with the exception that they don't try to force their beliefs onto me or use government money to do so.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
amen
well put. I agree 100%
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 02:03 pm
Re: insanity
Ragman wrote:
Gala, why should his religious beliefs being Orthodox Jewish matter? It's his insane backing of Bush's Iraqi war that makes him an idiot...even after most of the world's sentient beings decided it was a failed and futile effort.

It's because he is a Conservative Jew that he supports the war. Evangelicals back Israel 100%. The war this summer between Israel and Lebanon was a disaster and a failure for Israel, so many innocent people died in Lebanon because of Israels hard line-- The US ought to have stepped in to negotiate, instead, they backed Israel. A Reform Jew may (and this is a guess) have much more of a middle of the road approach-- Diplomatic solutions instead of military. Same goes for Iraq.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 02:06 pm
It's a moot point. as neither Lieberman, nor another Jew, is in the race for Presidency.

Also, it's been my info that Lieberman is an Orthodox Jew..not Conservative
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 04:14 pm
Ragman wrote:
It's a moot point. as neither Lieberman, nor another Jew, is in the race for Presidency.

Also, it's been my info that Lieberman is an Orthodox Jew..not Conservative

Conservative and Orthodox, I lump them together, but I suppose for the sake of definition, you are correct. What it means to me is, come sundown Friday to sun up Saturday, he's off the clock and praying.

It may be moot about Joe L., but the religion issue is not.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 04:16 pm
I assume that the topic here mainly was candidates currently running for President and their beliefs.

and... the fact that he is observant and prays on the weekend is immaterial in my mind.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
Gala wrote:
What it means to me is, come sundown Friday to sun up Saturday, he's off the clock and praying.

Yikes! What is the source of your information?
Mad
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:48 pm
Miller wrote:
Gala wrote:
What it means to me is, come sundown Friday to sun up Saturday, he's off the clock and praying.

Yikes! What is the source of your information?
Mad

It is easy to pull convenient "facts" out of a closed mind. No evidence, information or interpretation is required -- just a quick reference to fixed prejudices.
0 Replies